Watched the Rams game last night....

Just to see what Sammy and Robert are doing. Also, the Rams played here for 20 years and although I hate the owner, I sort of like the team.

Sammy was not really noticeable. I watched him run a few routes. Caught 2 for 8 yards. Woods made a catch early. I didn't watch the second.

However, the clear star of this receiving corps was Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington. Kid was open and catching everything for the first half. Made the QB Jared Goff look really good. I think Goff was 16-20. I know it's preseason, but last year Goff couldn't hit 16 of 20 in practice with no defense on the field.

Oh, and that kid from UB is still a stud. How did we miss on that one?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AroundTheNFL

Rams 24, Raiders 21

1. Sammy Watkins' impact on the Los Angeles Rams' offense was apparent on the first drive of the game. The former Bills wide receiver, who was acquired in a trade prior to L.A.'s preseason opener, didn't see a target on the Rams' opening drive in Oakland, but his presence opened up opportunities for Robert Woods at the sticks and then Todd Gurley behind the line. For the first time in what feels like forever, Jared Goff successfully set up the run with Gurley, and then executed a gut-punch play-action touchdown pass to a wide-open Cooper Kupp -- who, after his six-catch, 70-yard outing -- is without a doubt Goff's preferred receiver. Maybe we're lending too much credit to Watkins and his two catches for eight yards; many variables, including the strength of the suspect Raiders secondary, factored into the Rams' strong start. Regardless, there's reason for optimism in Rams Land. With Watkins in the lineup, their offense looks and moves like a professional operation -- finally.

Just to see what Sammy and Robert are doing. Also, the Rams played here for 20 years and although I hate the owner, I sort of like the team.

Sammy was not really noticeable. I watched him run a few routes. Caught 2 for 8 yards. Woods made a catch early. I didn't watch the second.

However, the clear star of this receiving corps was Cooper Kupp from Eastern Washington. Kid was open and catching everything for the first half. Made the QB Jared Goff look really good. I think Goff was 16-20. I know it's preseason, but last year Goff couldn't hit 16 of 20 in practice with no defense on the field.

Oh, and that kid from UB is still a stud. How did we miss on that one?

the reason we missed on him had 2 catches for 8 yards for the Rams :lol:

@AroundTheNFL

Rams 24, Raiders 21

1. Sammy Watkins' impact on the Los Angeles Rams' offense was apparent on the first drive of the game. The former Bills wide receiver, who was acquired in a trade prior to L.A.'s preseason opener, didn't see a target on the Rams' opening drive in Oakland, but his presence opened up opportunities for Robert Woods at the sticks and then Todd Gurley behind the line. For the first time in what feels like forever, Jared Goff successfully set up the run with Gurley, and then executed a gut-punch play-action touchdown pass to a wide-open Cooper Kupp -- who, after his six-catch, 70-yard outing -- is without a doubt Goff's preferred receiver. Maybe we're lending too much credit to Watkins and his two catches for eight yards; many variables, including the strength of the suspect Raiders secondary, factored into the Rams' strong start. Regardless, there's reason for optimism in Rams Land. With Watkins in the lineup, their offense looks and moves like a professional operation -- finally.

That's a ridiculous assessment of the game. They had Sammy in single coverage, and he wasn't open. Goff had to go to secondary and tertiary targets. Giving Watkins credit for the success of Goff and Kupp is unfair to both those guys.

Yes, Sammy is a superior athlete, but he isn't the reason those guys looked good. They beat Dallas last week, so they are coming along.

That's a ridiculous assessment of the game. They had Sammy in single coverage, and he wasn't open. Goff had to go to secondary and tertiary targets. Giving Watkins credit for the success of Goff and Kupp is unfair to both those guys.

Yes, Sammy is a superior athlete, but he isn't the reason those guys looked good. They beat Dallas last week, so they are coming along.

Nice use of "tertiary". An underused word on this forum.

:thumbsup:

Nothing ridiculous at all about the assessment. On the TD catch by Kupp alone, it looked to me as if the defensive backs were focused on Watkins to allow Kupp to be wide open for the score.

Doug Whaley.

So we are blaming Whaley for taking arguably the safest prospect in the draft? A can't miss player with limited questions? I really, really hate when people use hindsight to act like they would have done differently. If you want to gripe about trading the extra first, fine but to act like Watkins was anything but a can't miss is just not true. Edited by Kirby Jackson

So we are blaming Whaley for taking arguably the safest prospect in the draft? A can't miss player with limited questions? I really, really hate when people use hindsight to act like they would have done differently. If you want to gripe about trading the extra first, fine but to act like Watkins was anything but a can't miss is just not true.

One poster on TSW actually posted that Sammy was a reach. Total BS.

So we are blaming Whaley for taking arguably the safest prospect in the draft? A can't miss player with limited questions? I really, really hate when people use hindsight to act like they would have done differently. If you want to gripe about trading the extra first, fine but to act like Watkins was anything but a can't miss is just not true.

People criticized the pick from the get go since a WRs success is largely dependent on who he has throwing in the ball. We had EJ Manuel. Watkins' talent was never in question. The decision to trade up for a WR in a deep class when we had garbage at QB was.

That's a ridiculous assessment of the game. They had Sammy in single coverage, and he wasn't open.

Oh, and that kid from UB is still a stud. How did we miss on that one?Oh, and that kid from UB is still a stud. How did we miss on that one?

Sammy was double covered most of the game. They were so focused on him, they forgot to cover Kupp on the TD pass.

The Bills had a defensive line and no wide receivers. They chose to fill a need with a player they rated #1 on their boards.

Trading up to take Sammy Watkins when EJ Manuel was your QB was a horrid idea.

Not only did he pass on Mack, but the WR he took wasn't even the best in the class.

I'm sorry, but Doug Whaley was nothing short of an awful GM who set this team back several years.

For crying out loud, look at the man's draft picks!

People criticized the pick from the get go since a WRs success is largely dependent on who he has throwing in the ball. We had EJ Manuel. Watkins' talent was never in question. The decision to trade up for a WR in a deep class when we had garbage at QB was.

Exactly Bang.

Not only did he pass on Mack, but the WR he took wasn't even the best in the class.

I'm sorry, but Doug Whaley was nothing short of an awful GM who set this team back several years.

Exactly Bang.

What WR was rated higher at the time of the draft?

EJ Manuel was a first round QB entering year 2. They went and got him a stud receiver to hopefully develop with him. Just like the Rams just did....

There wasn't one. A lot of analyst guys or media draft people, whatever you want to call them were back and forth between Watkins or Evans as being the best guy.

This ^ Sammy was highly rated on every teams board. There was nothing wrong with taking him where we did. The obvious issue was giving away the draft picks in a deep WR class. Not every draft guru guaranteed that Watkins was far and away the best in the class, or was certain to be the next Jerry Rice. That is the only way you make the trade. I think that people's views on Whaley tenure here influence the thought pattern on both sides.

Exactly Bang.

EVERYONE had Watkins as the top receiver in the class. The Bills drafted a 1st round QB and then got him his #1 receiver. That's what teams do!! Questioning Watkins talent entering the draft is not helping your case that Whaley did a bad job. It's looking like an agenda.

The Bills have had plenty of talent the last few years and have cleaned up on under-valued FAs. That was their strength. They would have been a playoff team with anyone but Rex. Whaley had his flaws for sure but he's nowhere near as bad as many are making him out to be. That team, especially in 2015, had a lot of talent.

There wasn't one. A lot of analyst guys or media draft people, whatever you want to call them were back and forth between Watkins or Evans as being the best guy.

I'd bet my life that over 80% (minimum) favored Watkins. You can ask any of the other draft nerds on this board if you don't want to believe me. There were 4 players at the top of that draft Robinson, Clowney, Mack and Watkins. That was tier 1. Mathews and Evans were in the next tier.