Still playoff caliber team if 1 thing doesn't happen

This :doh:

Umm... we have an NFL WR corps this year.

We didn't last year and we were still in the playoff hunt in the 2nd to last game of the season despite crap at WR and a bad D.

I expect our D to seriously improve.

If most everyone stays healthy I see 10 wins.

The Bills have names filled in on their depth chart and they have bodies wearing WR numbers on the field that include an aging vet, a JAG, and a 2nd round rookie. They have a TE who can catch the ball when he's targeted. That does not equate to an "NFL caliber" receiving corps. It's been so long since the Bills actually fielded one -- 2002 -- that apparently most fans have forgotten what that includes: actual, bonafide #1 and #2 WRs, a slot receiver, an Hback or RB and a TE -- all of whom can catch the ball and block.

As for the defense, whatever improvement comes from the DL and/or front 7 is going to be lost by the secondary. Unlike the Bills, most of the teams the Bills face this year understand that even just competent QBs like Andy Dalton and Ryan Tannehill can be successful if they have targets and protection ... and a lot of this year's opponents have QBs far better than just "competent".

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping McDermott's approach to training and the new staff combine to decrease the injury number.

BTW our WR corp ain't half bad, and it got better from last year:

2016 top 3 WR stats (Watkins/Woods/Goodwin): 108 catches, 1474 yards, and 6 TDs

Average of Matthews & Boldin's last 3 years + average projections for Jones: ~188 catches, 2224 yards, and 14-15 TDs

Since we've loaded up on all these draft picks...

...we will easily, and I highlight easily make it to the playoffs. Hell, AFC Championship Game.

We are all Bills fans. We all know how it works.

Oh, and of course, college football will have several blue chip QBs that we will miss out on due to our lower than expected draft slot.

If we can stay healthy I like your point. I'm thinking our D improves dramatically from last year. Our special teams/kicking game gets better.

I also think our WR group is now better with Mathews, Boldin, and Jones.

I'm also thinking our Running game will be improved. I'm actually thinking Williams is going to end up being an upgrade over TD mike Gillislee. Fb's look solid and our coaching has to be better.

If this team can win 8-9 games and is loaded for the 2018 draft look out!

I agree with the final sentiment. I think we'll be in the playoff conversation this year but will ultimately fall short. But we should have a hell of a draft next year. Beane seems to have hired an excellent scouting team.

I'm not convinced, though, that the running game will improve this year. It was awfully damn good last season. It's really hard to improve something that's already the best.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Pass blocking is fine, Tyrod enjoys the most time in the pocket over any other QB per Pro Football Focus.

Those no name receivers we had last year all signed contracts with other NFL teams.

We were 31st in passing in a passing league, Tyrod/Peterman needs to be more productive and we can start thinking about being in the hunt

Pass blocking is fine, Tyrod enjoys the most time in the pocket over any other QB per Pro Football Focus.

Those no name receivers we had last year all signed contracts with other NFL teams.

We were 31st in passing in a passing league, Tyrod/Peterman needs to be more productive and we can start thinking about being in the hunt

I've not seen that, care to link it? Time to throw isn't time in the pocket, if that's what you meant.

Tyrod creates pressure on himself for no reason. He needs to like not do that.

This isn't a playoff team. If we overachieve we win 8 games. And that is because we play the Fins and Jets twice who are trying to out suck us.

Edited by HeHateMe

In case you didn't already know this - um - it was never up to Tyrod to determine how many times they threw the ball last year or any year. It was up to the guy calling the plays. And the number of times they threw the ball correlated exceptionally well with where they ranked in terms of total yards. Look it up. Just as the number of total rushing yards also correlated well with the number of times they ran. Look it up.

If you are pissed that the Bills are running the ball too much you should be pissed at the guy calling the plays - A.K.A. the offensive coordinator.

I've not seen that, care to link it? Time to throw isn't time in the pocket, if that's what you meant.

Yes everyone seems to not understand when TT starts dancing and then escaping the pocket then rolling out and running up to the line, most of that additional time is counted and increases his time holding ball to league high levels. Most other QB's get the ball out early as that is a league wide solution to the build up of NFL D's focused on rushing the QB. If no wr is open or pressure is fast, other QB's not named Tyrod are throwing the ball away and not spending 2 more seconds scrambling and giving appearance he has all day to throw when that adds to his time holding ball.

So we're judging our pass protection based on the first pre season game in a new system? With 4/5 starting OL going into year 3 together and an offensive passing game relying on quicker routes I just don't think that is fair.

Judging our o line if we lose cordy for any extended time witout kujo to fill in* Im guessing dawkins goes to LT and we keep Mills at RT if that happens but its not encouraging. It is preseason tho, things change when real bullets fly

at best...

with TT 9-7

with Yates 1-15

with Peterman 3 - 13

I can see that. Maybe peterman squeeks to 4 or 5 wins cuz we do play the phins and jets twice

In case you didn't already know this - um - it was never up to Tyrod to determine how many times they threw the ball last year or any year. It was up to the guy calling the plays. And the number of times they threw the ball correlated exceptionally well with where they ranked in terms of total yards. Look it up. Just as the number of total rushing yards also correlated well with the number of times they ran. Look it up.

If you are pissed that the Bills are running the ball too much you should be pissed at the guy calling the plays - A.K.A. the offensive coordinator.

Thats right. Time to throw does not account for scrambling and all the plays tyrod turns chicken **** into chicken salad

Holding the ball too long isn't a laudable stat.

Tyrod creates pressure on himself for no reason. He needs to like not do that.

This isn't a playoff team. If we overachieve we win 8 games. And that is because we play the Fins and Jets twice who are trying to out suck us.

While I HATE them, don't sleep on Miami.