Cruise Control: Do you use it?

I use mine all the time. I wish my truck had the variable version where it adjusts your speed based on the distance away from the vehicle in front of you. I wasn't even aware this option existed or I would have made sure I got it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

w/Our work fleet of machines, Two of our John Deere tractors have cruise control. Here is Deere's universal symbol:

lvb25764.jpg

I use cruise all the time when I mow the straight aways:

4066r_cut_studio_r4a039707_large_ae3b44b

Also use it @ work on the small lawn machine too:

X350_42in_studio_r4a062722_large_0573a85

Now the machines that DO NOT have cruise, for obvious reasons... Hand control zero turn:

9985.gif

Toro ZMaster:

ToroZ453_48.jpg

Again, obvious reasons. Hand control needed to move the thing.

The Gator doesn't have it either:

mzvDPUm8IctdtKnBFM6nxbw.jpg

I wonder if you can get it on the Gator or add it on like the tractors? Where the heck would you need it though?

EDIT: What a royal PITA to add/embed images via a phone on this board... ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Added Bonus (and the reason i don't carry a gun): How often does this happen to you? - You're driving on the interstate, you come up behind a car in the right lane, so you go to pass this person. As soon as you get along side of them, they begin to speed up. the result is A) you have to speed up to complete the pass B) you end up side by side for umpteen miles C) they pull ahead and you go back to the right lane. This only applies to regular driving, not heavy traffic - in heavy traffic all bets are off and it's Thunderdome.

Also, the result of A) is that they will then speed up to pass you. and then slow down again. :wallbash: This person doesn't want to go any faster than you, but just needs to be ahead of you.

I've encountered that a lot too. When it happens now, I just deck it. Have to look ahead and behind to make sure the police aren't in the area, but I just bury that kind of turd in my dust.

On another note... my worst traffic nightmare was going westbound on the GWB. We got to within 5 miles of the bridge when traffic came to a complete halt. They had closed the upper deck for emergency repairs, so all traffic was funneled to the lower deck. It took five hours to travel those five miles and I do not exaggerate the time or distance one iota. That was absolutely the worst jam-up I've ever been in, and I've driven through LA at rush hour and around DC and Richmond a fair amount. The second worst jam-up I've ever been in was another time crossing the GWB and a two hour back-up on the Cross Bronx Expressway. I will never take the route again... ever.

I've encountered that a lot too. When it happens now, I just deck it. Have to look ahead and behind to make sure the police aren't in the area, but I just bury that kind of turd in my dust.

On another note... my worst traffic nightmare was going westbound on the GWB. We got to within 5 miles of the bridge when traffic came to a complete halt. They had closed the upper deck for emergency repairs, so all traffic was funneled to the lower deck. It took five hours to travel those five miles and I do not exaggerate the time or distance one iota. That was absolutely the worst jam-up I've ever been in, and I've driven through LA at rush hour and around DC and Richmond a fair amount. The second worst jam-up I've ever been in was another time crossing the GWB and a two hour back-up on the Cross Bronx Expressway. I will never take the route again... ever.

How do you make your Nash do that? Some how I am picturing this:

;-)

I use it but only on mostly level roads, and am careful if it rains. If the road surface is not well drained, you can hydroplane, and it's not safe to use it then. Yes it does save some gas!

I-95 can be pretty bad but there are few alternate routes on the east coast going N-S. Living in Richmond, when we drive to Dulles, I take 95 N to either Fredericksburg or Quantico. Fredericksburg exits on US-17, which runs into US-15, while Quantico has the Prince William Parkway. It has traffic lights but both bypass DC to the south and west.

Last December we came home from Munich, got our car parked in Reston VA, and drove the Dulles Access Rd, and the EZ Pass lanes on I-495 to I-95 S. It was a good drive, when I was already tired from flying, but the EZ Pass bill was around $50, just for that one trip! That's a rip BUT think of all the people who use that a lot, and their bills must be crazy high.

I also mostly only use it on flat roads. I think it saves on gas on the flat roads, used more when it is hilly. My exception to not using it on hilly highways is Rte 81 between, Syracuse and Binghampton. Tully, Cortland, Marathon are excellant places to get tickets, so I try to use the cruise so I don't drift faster than 72.

And if you want to go fast try that stretch of the Penn Pike around Allentown. The left lane is cruising at 80 and at times that isn't even fast enough.

Of course, when it's 55 I put her in CC at 54 and sit in the left line of major highways and interstates. I'm teaching people a lesson as well on being a civic-minded soul. ----- Every jerk out there boxing you in.....

This is THE BEST on two lane unpassable highways, I can keep people behind me for 30 miles, 100 of them in a chain sometimes, and I'm not even pulling a boat. HYUK HYUK HYUK.

Of course, when it's 55 I put her in CC at 54 and sit in the left line of major highways and interstates. I'm teaching people a lesson as well on being a civic-minded soul. ----- Every jerk out there boxing you in.....

This is THE BEST on two lane unpassable highways, I can keep people behind me for 30 miles, 100 of them in a chain sometimes, and I'm not even pulling a boat. HYUK HYUK HYUK.

Alaska has this covered:

alaska-road-sign-use-turnout.jpg

Alaska has this covered:

alaska-road-sign-use-turnout.jpg

Sounds like a $$$ trap. What if you are going the limit? Gotta pull off so others can speed and get a ticket? Break the law.

Is this a revenue maker up there... So others can break the law. They get their $$ either way?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Sounds like a $$$ trap. What if you are going the limit? Gotta pull off so others can speed and get a ticket? Break the law.

Is this a revenue maker up there... So others can break the law. They get their $$ either way?

Looking at the surroundings I'm sure there are tons of cops hiding behind every igloo.

Not really, I know. But why should you have to pull over so someone else can break law. Sounds counterproductive

I'm guessing that sign is in place so that logging trucks don't jam up the entire road for 80 miles, not so that everyone else can speed past. If you are going the limit you aren't causing a delay which is what the sign is referencing.

I'm guessing that sign is in place so that logging trucks don't jam up the entire road for 80 miles, not so that everyone else can speed past. If you are going the limit you aren't causing a delay which is what the sign is referencing.

Yes.

Can't be non-commercial safety, I would just keep going faster and faster if I seen +5 vehicles behind me! ;-) /devil

I crash, we all crash... Take out the 7-10 split! ;-)

Oh... Be careful how you worded that. In some places going legal is causing a delay! ;-)

Our major two-laner to cottage country has signs pleading with people to pull over in safety lanes, but they are slow because of trailers and boats and stuff and hopefully they have some respect for anyone else in the world.

But this happens all over Ontario. I tremble when I get on a two-lane highway any more because of the needless delay.

I use mine all the time. I wish my truck had the variable version where it adjusts your speed based on the distance away from the vehicle in front of you. I wasn't even aware this option existed or I would have made sure I got it.

My wife's Avalon has this feature. When we travel out of WV and get to some flat roads, this is a GREAT option. You can set the distance to one , two or three car lengths ahead of you.

The operations manual is very emphatic that this is NOT a braking system.

My wife's Avalon has this feature. When we travel out of WV and get to some flat roads, this is a GREAT option. You can set the distance to one , two or three car lengths ahead of you.

People pressed the CC button on their steering wheel thinking it would stop their car?

How can you possibly have a riding mower post without discussing the minimal blood alcohol content to drive it slowly down the highway?

Another reason to get an Avalon. I love those cars every time I have driven in one!

Another reason to get an Avalon. I love those cars every time I have driven in one!

I love mine. I even prefer it to driving my wife's Lexus SUV. I have a friend who gets a very generous car allowance thru work. He drove my Avalon and wanted one over his fancy car, but wasn't willing to use half the car allowance and let them know he could get by on so much less.

I love mine. I even prefer it to driving my wife's Lexus SUV. I have a friend who gets a very generous car allowance thru work. He drove my Avalon and wanted one over his fancy car, but wasn't willing to use half the car allowance and let them know he could get by on so much less.

I can see that. The Avalon just strikes me as really sleek, spacious, and powerful. I guess a lot of older folks drive them, but am not sure why they don't have a broader appeal. I would get one over a Lexus any day.