RODAK: Watkins Trade Sets Up TT To Fail

Bills set up Tyrod Taylor to fail, blowing up 2017 season with shocking trades

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer

Turn out the lights on the Buffalo Bills' 2017 season, because it is over before it started.

In a shocking pair of trades Friday, the Bills traded their top wide receiver, Sammy Watkins, and their top cornerback, Ronald Darby, in separate deals with the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles. In exchange, the Bills acquired Eagles wide receiver Jordan Matthews, Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines, as well as second- and third-round picks in 2018.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/28518/bills-set-up-tyrod-taylor-to-fail-blow-up-2017-season-with-shocking-trades

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I don't think it is setting him up for failure as much as it is setting him up to prove himself without his go to WR. If he is really "set up to fail" because of one player than he isn't the franchise QB we are looking for anyway.

And what was Sammy's great contribution last year, 430 yards and 2 Tds, so setting up for failure seems to be an exaggeration to begin with.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I just don't buy it. What we lose in explosiveness, we gain in reliability. I think that is much more important to Tyrod for an entire season. If healthy, Gaines seems a better fit for our new defense than Darby.

It is a no-brainer if we consider the options it gives us for next year's draft.

This season just got very interesting, regardless.

If Zay is even halfway decent, and Dennison is a capable coach - Matthews, Zay, Boldin, Clay, Shady. QBs have played and had success with far worse options, that is plenty of starting talent if the scheme works.

Edited by ThunderGun

We will see...Jordan Mathews is a scheme fit......

What we do have is our top 4 wideouts are all big physical guys

Scheme fit? We better not be trying for a pass longer than 8 yards, with 0 YAC.

Zay, Boldin and Matthews are all slot guys. I know Taylor's OVER THE MIDDLE problems have been over stated but this looks like the exact wrong mix to help him.

Rodak, being the Patriot butt kisser he is, should know that trading one player does not a team make. The Patriots release/trade guys all the time and they keep on rolling.

You are not setting Tyrod up to fail. You have plenty of guys to throw to - figure it out.

If Tyrod does not get it done it is on Tyrod and no one else.