New Parent - Bringing Kids to first game - seeking advice

ShipUPride

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus...the **** that passes for "child abuse" these days, it may not even be considered "borderline."

I think there is a greater argument to be made that choosing not to take his children to the game is a greater offence. What should he do, leave them in the care of a babysitter? Some stranger who works for $15 and unlimited popsicles? Real parents never let their children out of their sight! My neighbor used to let his kids play in the front yard while "watching" form the kitchen window. Luckily, CPS placed those children in a suitable home.

For a preseason game you shouldn't run into much trouble beyond the idea of bringing two 2 year olds to a massive event they won't remember. Order a pizza and watch on tv... but that's just me.

When we lived in FL we wouldn't even take the kids to Disney at that age for that reason. But to each their own.

Edited by Augie

When we lived in FL we wouldn't even take the kids to Disney at that age for that reason. But to each their own.

Seems a whole lot of effort and some money and no real upside for most people. If someone REALLY values saying they did it though, I guess this guys checking as many boxes as possible in making it successful.

It's pretty cool to bring them to a Bills game that young and as a single dad to twins you are no doubt used to keeping an eye on them all day........ so you were probably going to have to do that whether you came to the Bills game or not.

They may not remember it but it's a badge of honor for them later on......that bonding extra important when you don't want to be missing Bills games years down the line because they'd otherwise want to do something else instead. :thumbsup:

Preseason games are very chill and lot's of kids around so contrary to what I've seen here I don't expect anyone to give you dirty looks or complain about bringing your kids.

Regular season game......obviously different story.

BADOL: Totally appreciate your point of view even though I'm on the other side of the coin.

Love that you trust and respect OP's handling of HIS young twins at a young age...but I'm with most, yikes...good luck with that!

The badge of honor later on is cool too. I always wanted my kids to remember their first game, not be told about it and just have a photo memory, but that may be prejudiced by my own experience.

For the record my boys (11 and 14) will be attending their first Bills game in September. Timing WRT school finally worked. Wifey wanted to do a pre-season game, but that was laughable to me.

Anyway, whatever you do Ship, best to you and your boys!

I think if you're flexible and willing to move/leave if there's too much BS going on around you it'll be fine. My son was 6 when I brought him and my 9 year old daughter. They understood there would be bad language and probably some people acting silly but it was great! That was 5 years ago and we've always had an excellent time. We always sit upper deck but not on the corners. But I certainly would never let them sit by some seriously drunk or obnoxious ahole. That's just trouble waiting to happen.

Never take a 2 yr old to an adult event.

Just recently an idiot brought her infant to a r rated late show in my hometown. "Dunkirk" . No ear protection. Baby cried a lot. Drowned out mostly by the loud sounds from the movie.

Edited by cba fan

I have 2.5 year old twin boys myself. Can you please post an update? Would love to hear how this went down.

Ohhhhh, two and a HALF is almost too late! You have to time it just right. It's a tight little window. There's almost no hope they will ever be Bills fans.... Sorry.

:)

Best of luck to everyone trying whatever they think is best. Just be prepared to leave early if it turns south on you.

I took my 4 year old son tonight and he loved it.

I sought out 1st row seats in the upper deck so he could see, which worked out good as it gave him abit more space to move around. thankfully the aisle was half empty so gave us some breathing room. We left before halftime and he was quite content eating some candy and watching the game.

That said, it will be a lot of years before I would want to bring him to a regular season game, as others have mentioned once the games mean something it's not a place for little ones.

Same exact story for us. 4yo, he had a blast eating fries and saying "hello!" to all the sheriffs. One nice cop even came back with some stickers and a glow stick for the little guy. He was thrilled.

Traditional foam finger, some pop. Good night all around.

I hear there are good slides in the upper deck. They may enjoy them if they get bored.

If they get lucky they can pick up a Dildo souvenir

I consider raising my kids Bills, Mets and Islanders fans as borderline child abuse.

If I had a child I don't think I could do it, I would hope they make better decisions in life than me. I mean who grows up in Va and becomes a Bills fan? Obviously I have a few wires that did not connect well. In all honesty I probably would wait until 5 or 6, and not a regular season game as many have mentioned above Edited by Gunsgoodtime

Bring the kids and have fun. We have 4 children ages 10, 9 7, and 5 and we have had seasons for 9 years. Yes, even for them. They all handle the atmosphere without issue and the regulars around us have enjoyed watching them grow up. They even ask about them when they don't come (usually colder games or if it is going to pour all game) you and your kids will have a blast. I would suggest trying to sit on the home side, though. It is the more comfortable side in August.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk