NFL Willing to Work with Players on MJ for Pain Management

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we just keep redrawing the line under the guise of medicine and tax dollars? I have no issue with true medical mj. But, that needs to be taken in a medicinal form with medicinal strains. The fact that the recreational movement needs to conceal their true motives behind the legitimacy of medical mj is extremely bothersome to me.

Its has recreational and medicinal benefits.. It doesn't matter what the game is its not something that needs to be illegal for any reason.

and the medicinal values are not limited to just certain strains for certain ailments. The medicinal properties of MJ are beneficial even using recreational forms.

Motives wouldn't be necessary if the majority of people took their heads out of their asses to begin with. There were WAY MORE Motives by the industries and people who fought against it than their are by those legalizing it. So do keep in mind it was those who fought to make it illegal that started this "Motives" game

Edited by ddaryl

If it wasn't for the lobby dollars of big pharma and the alcohol companies I think it would have been legalized a long time ago. I would include tobacco but I think that they own some sort of patent for it when it becomes legal everywhere. I might be wrong though.

I get the argument that their motives aren't 100% medicinal driven. Who cares? It does neither side any good to have guys out for pot. It makes them both look bad. Other leagues have taken that stance much more proactively than the NFL (shocking). They will use the medicinal reason to sell it to the skeptics even if that's only a part of the motivaton.

I actually think that's part of the reason why it stays illegal. It's a plant/weed that can grow wild pretty much anywhere and I don't think it can be patented by these big pharmaceutical companies. That's why you see synthetic MJ pills legal (like Marinol) and MJ itself not.

But I do think you're right that the big tobacco companies are primed to cash in when it becomes legal. I believe that they already have massive farms ready to go/grow, or at least that's what I read somewhere IIRC.

Also, this entire thread reminds me of that one roommate I had in college that would come home from the bars at 3am, stumble into the room and call us 'pothead losers' for being high and playing Mortal Kombat on Genesis. He'd then nuke a hot pocket and forget about it, pass out and then puke all over his bed in his sleep.

Good stuff.

For anyone has indulged on the medical side, has a MJ doctor ever "prescribed" a dosage to you?

From folks I've talked to, that's nothing that they have ever brought up.

Every medical prescription I've ever had was followed with precise requirements on time, duration, dosage amounts and limits. I could see that be a major hurdle if that is they really want this to be cleared for medical use.

I've only indulged on the retail side and have clueless on how the medical process works.

I don't indulge on the medical side myself, but I used to live out in cali and knew many who did. It really depends on the person, and the doctor they go to. Some doctors are just there to give recreational users their medical card. That's their entire business (like pill-mill doctors who are only there to prescribe pain pills), and then some doctors only recommend MJ when they feel a patient truly needs it. The doctors who only recommend it when necesssary tend to be the ones who give guildlines on how to use it and in what dose. But recreational users who just want a medical card to be able to go to a dispensary to buy it, don't really want guidelines.

Really, the big problem is the way MJ is classified. It is still somehow classified as a Schedule 1 drug (like the hardest and most dangerous of drugs like meth and heroin) - which means they see it as having no legitimate use to mankind. Where as drugs like cocaine are Schedule 2 and seen as having some legitimate use (go figure). Until it is re-scheduled, they can not perform any testing to find out what the true legitimate medical uses are, and there definitely are some. I've met parents out there who had kids that were having 100's of seizures every single day and were on dozens and dozens of very strong prescription medications that had terrible effects, yet they still had 100's of seizures a day. Then they tried CBD (which from what I understand has no intoxicating or psychoactive properties) and their kids went from 100's of seizures per day to maybe 1 seizure every week or two.

Marijuana use is so woven into the fabric of the NFL culture, I think the league has decided to just let it go.

But they can't say they are just letting it go, so they are selling it as pain treatment.

Its has recreational and medicinal benefits.. It doesn't matter what the game is its not something that needs to be illegal for any reason.

and the medicinal values are not limited to just certain strains for certain ailments. The medicinal properties of MJ are beneficial even using recreational forms.

Motives wouldn't be necessary if the majority of people took their heads out of their asses to begin with. There were WAY MORE Motives by the industries and people who fought against it than their are by those legalizing it. So do keep in mind it was those who fought to make it illegal that started this "Motives" game

Things move slowly in our culture.

In due course pot will be legal everywhere.

Also, this entire thread reminds me of that one roommate I had in college that would come home from the bars at 3am, stumble into the room and call us 'pothead losers' for being high and playing Mortal Kombat on Genesis. He'd then nuke a hot pocket and forget about it, pass out and then puke all over his bed in his sleep.

Good stuff.

There's one thing that I keep thinking about when reading this thread: a client of mine (unfortunately) who went to college and studied physics. He was brilliant in high school and smoked pot. Great parents. While at college he continued to smoke weed but began to dabble in other things (smoking weed, then crack cocaine, then the heroin). Next thing I know, he crashes into a few cars one night because he is unconscious. The cops revive him and he goes to inpatient where he graduates and is discharged. I get a great deal for him all ready to go to court and I get a call that he crashed into another person's garage because he collapsed behind the wheel on heroin again (not two weeks after being discharged).

Another client of mine smoked a lot of weed since high school...same idea. Arranged for a great deal for him on a reckless driving charge and took the plea. He moved out of state and just heard that he was arrested on a felony charge for distribution in NC.

I guess I see the bad side of marijuana use more and more as opposed to the cool, chill, relaxed college kids enjoying it (which, again, I really don't mind and didn't mind when I was that age). The more cases I see, the more I'm convinced it is a gateway type drug that drives the user to find a better/more dramatic "high" (leading to heroin, crack, pills, etc). I understand not all recreational users will follow that gateway into bad drugs, but some do.

Ah, yes. Those of us on the other side of the debate are {insert insult here}. I love it. I get it. You are more enlightened, more intelligent, more open minded. Congratulations?

Well then try to convince us why we are wrong. I'm open for a good debate. Right now I see your opposition based mainly in your negative opinion of what MJ is and the people who use it. Am I wrong here?

Ah, yes. Those of us on the other side of the debate are {insert insult here}. I love it. I get it. You are more enlightened, more intelligent, more open minded. Congratulations?

I don't think that it's an attack but it feels a little like fighting climate change to me. There is so much information to support it. People just aren't accepting the reasoning for it being a schedule 1 drug anymore. That's why it's becoming legal all over. The people are challenging the reason that it's still illegal and there aren't strong reasons for it.

There's one thing that I keep thinking about when reading this thread: a client of mine (unfortunately) who went to college and studied physics. He was brilliant in high school and smoked pot. Great parents. While at college he continued to smoke weed but began to dabble in other things (smoking weed, then crack cocaine, then the heroin). Next thing I know, he crashes into a few cars one night because he is unconscious. The cops revive him and he goes to inpatient where he graduates and is discharged. I get a great deal for him all ready to go to court and I get a call that he crashed into another person's garage because he collapsed behind the wheel on heroin again (not two weeks after being discharged).

Another client of mine smoked a lot of weed since high school...same idea. Arranged for a great deal for him on a reckless driving charge and took the plea. He moved out of state and just heard that he was arrested on a felony charge for distribution in NC.

I guess I see the bad side of marijuana use more and more as opposed to the cool, chill, relaxed college kids enjoying it (which, again, I really don't mind and didn't mind when I was that age). The more cases I see, the more I'm convinced it is a gateway type drug that drives the user to find a better/more dramatic "high" (leading to heroin, crack, pills, etc). I understand not all recreational users will follow that gateway into bad drugs, but some do.

If there is a "gateway" effect, it was created by prohibition.

When kids are subjected to the DARE program, marijuana is lumped together with all the other, more dangerous drugs. When they experiment with marijuana, and find out that it doesn't turn your brain into a fried egg, they wonder what else they've been lied to about...

Is alcohol not a gateway drug?

Lastly, just because a troubled person uses marijuana, it doesn't mean that marijuana is the cause of the troubles. People with addictive personalities will always find something. Yes, Pot can be addictive. Just like shopping, gambling, or sex.

But if it were legal, would those same smokers be put in contact with those people who sell hard drugs? It could be argued that because it is illegal, it sometimes forces users into contact with people selling the harder drugs, therefore makes it easier (and maybe more likely) for that person to try them.

Or it could just be that someone willing to smoke MJ is also a person who is more willing to try other drugs too. I don't know.

But there is nothing about MJ specifically that makes it a gateway drug, from what I understand.

Yep. Also, the guy on the corner doesn't check ID's

Well then try to convince us why we are wrong. I'm open for a good debate. Right now I see your opposition based mainly in your negative opinion of what MJ is and the people who use it. Am I wrong here?

I'm opposed to people getting high "because they can" and then effing up innocent people's lives. Eff up your own life, I don't care. I get tired of seeing the poor decisions of others destroy innocent people.

Strengthen DUI laws, streamline testing procedures. ..you will have me on board. None of that is being advocated for by legalization proponents. They just want to get high, and damn everything else. It's a very a irresponsible perspective. Hiding behind medical mj just exacerbates the issue, to me.

although leading to other drugs can certainly happen, i have always seen it as a minority. i know a ton of people who were heavy smokers through out highschool, college, grad school, and continue to do in their professional lives. i think it has to do with addictive traits. some have them, some don't. i have a feeling that the ones who do have the trait would have trouble whether or not they every tried pot.

I'm not sure the percentage of people that try marijuana and then escalate is any greater than the percentage of people that pop a perscription drug and then escalate. In fact, I'd venture that the opposite is true. The percentage of people that experiment with OXY or Vicodin and then get into heroin is likely greater than the percentage of people that go from weed to heroin.

Alcohol is more of a gateway drug than marijuana according to these studies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/06/the-real-gateway-drug-thats-everywhere-and-legal/?utm_term=.39179c2e0bfc

I'm not sure the percentage of people that try marijuana and then escalate is any greater than the percentage of people that pop a perscription drug and then escalate. In fact, I'd venture that the opposite is true. The percentage of people that experiment with OXY or Vicodin and then get into heroin is likely greater than the percentage of people that go from weed to heroin.

You skipped a step...how did they get to Vicodin and Oxy? My point is, probably by starting with something less potent and wanting to increase that effect.

You skipped a step...how did they get to Vicodin and Oxy? My point is, probably by starting with something less potent and wanting to increase that effect.

people who have never taken an illegal drug in their lives often take opioids as their first narcotic. it's dangerous, and legally prescribed.

A doctor probably prescribed it to them. 50,000 people die a year from opiates in this country. Imagine if some of them could be prescribed cannabis for their pain instead of opiates.

people who have never taken an illegal drug in their lives often take opioids as their first narcotic. it's dangerous, and legally prescribed.

And extremely addictive.

I hate pills....really hate them. When a doctors describes them for me for whatever my pain is....I just don't pick it up. I'll deal with the pain or might use something else to help ease it.

Their doctor?

This literally made me chuckle out loud.

Prescribed it for an injury? I've had those prescribed to me a few times. There are a lot of ways that you can end up with pain pills. They aren't hard to get your hands on. Alcohol is the other one.

Case in point, my father-in-law and his GF.

Never drank a drop, never took a puff. Both prescribed opiods for pain a few years ago, they are now both hooked and both absolute messes. It's sad.

He's a 'Nam vet, motorhead kinda guy. Was always working in the garage or the yard, or showing up at our place to randomly tune up the ride-on or some other such retired guy futzing.

These days? It's scary how hooked they are. We didn't know what was happening at first, but started going down the checklist of addiction. They hit every bullet point. They are completely different people now.

It all started with a legal prescription.

I'm opposed to people getting high "because they can" and then effing up innocent people's lives. Eff up your own life, I don't care. I get tired of seeing the poor decisions of others destroy innocent people.

Strengthen DUI laws, streamline testing procedures. ..you will have me on board. None of that is being advocated for by legalization proponents. They just want to get high, and damn everything else. It's a very a irresponsible perspective. Hiding behind medical mj just exacerbates the issue, to me.

Fair enough, though smoking is not an automatic ticket to ruining your life. A lot of successful people use pot responsibly. Testing is tough because there is no no weed breathelyzer right now.

The main reason for legalization is the billions of dollars going into the black market. Legal weed pulls that money back into the legal economy and allows for proper regulation.

And legal weed has not created a rush of new smokers. The same people who smoke now are buying from stores and paying tax on it instead.

You gonna kill Anheuser Busch and the Coors guy too ?

If we're going to let adults make their own decisions to get high, and let adult make their own decisions to addict their friends and neighbors on drugs, we should let adults decide if they want to live with drug dealers.

You can't claim oppression, then run and hide behind it when a lot of people come at you for ruining their lives.

Bartenders getting rich ruining people's lives are not that much better. I wouldn't order anyone to do it, but I wouldn't get in the way of other people driving them out. A lot better than giving crack dealers free reign and letting police act as their bodyguards like some narco state.

If we're going to let adults make their own decisions to get high, and let adult make their own decisions to addict their friends and neighbors on drugs, we should let adults decide if they want to live with drug dealers.

You can't claim oppression, then run and hide behind it when a lot of people come at you for ruining their lives.

Bartenders getting rich ruining people's lives are not that much better. I wouldn't order anyone to do it, but I wouldn't get in the way of other people driving them out. A lot better than giving crack dealers free reign and letting police act as their bodyguards like some narco state.

I was a bartender for about 5 years....I wasn't much better than a drug dealer?

You're being for real about this too aren't you? Gambling also can ruin lives....I guess if you see a Jack Black dealer, it should be legal to put a bullet in their head?

And extremely addictive.

I hate pills....really hate them. When a doctors describes them for me for whatever my pain is....I just don't pick it up. I'll deal with the pain or might use something else to help ease it.

This literally made me chuckle out loud.

i've taken vicodin before, and it really doesn't do anything for me...for pain or recreational use. i just feel dopey and tired. when i've taken it for my back, i'm dopey and still in pain. i'd much prefer to take ibuprofen.

In my area growing up, the first drugs the kids would do was cigarettes, then alcohol, then pills....that's where it started.

Pills got to become a little bit of a problem because the would crush them and snort it. We of course had the stereotypical MJ crowd but it wasn't as popular.

You mean they weren't prescribed by a doctor? That's weird. How did those kids get them?

Case in point, my father-in-law and his GF.

Never drank a drop, never took a puff. Both prescribed opiods for pain a few years ago, they are now both hooked and both absolute messes. It's sad.

He's a 'Nam vet, motorhead kinda guy. Was always working in the garage or the yard, or showing up at our place to randomly tune up the ride-on or some other such retired guy futzing.

These days? It's scary how hooked they are. We didn't know what was happening at first, but started going down the checklist of addiction. They hit every bullet point. They are completely different people now.

It all started with a legal prescription.

this really is too bad to hear. it's a massive problem. i can prescribe narcotics, so i recently had to take a mandatory 3 hour course. they opened the course by showing us a video from 20/20, where a girl states she became a hardcore addict after having her wisdom teeth out. she states the doctor gave her a month supply of percocet which caused her addiction. i have a couple of problems with that because there's zero reason to prescribe narcotics for a month for a procedure like that, and the girl was 16. where were her parents monitoring it.

that being said, nys has done a pretty good job controlling how narcotics are prescribed. it's all electronic and recorded. to call something in over the phone is an act of god. on top of that, before the prescription is sent in, we have to reference a website where we can see if the patient was given narcotics anywhere else. this stops the classic pill shopping, and has greatly cut down on abuse. i've even heard of the state going after clinicians who have a history of heavy drug prescribing. they take it very seriously now.