Could Ragland be surprise cut of 2017?

@WGR550

McDermott - we have a plan for every player. This is really Ragland's first year. He needs to get acclimated to the system #Bills

Tis' true. He is a rookie coming off of a year off. Crazy how things happen the way they do. It seems like this staff understands and wants this guy to succeed. Ragland has a great track record in high school and college. Wish him the best.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this thread for real? There is literally no way this kid gets cut, regardless if you like him as a prospect or dont.

1. Its WAAAAAY to early to read into where people are taking snaps right now.

2. He was a highly touted LB coming out who is YET to take an NFL snap.

3. There is NO rush to start him. We already have a starting MLB who isn't terrible, so its NOT going to be just handed to what is essentially a rookie LB coming off a season ending serious injury before he goes out and plays.

4. Why is anyone even surprised he is taking snaps with the 2nd unit? Thats where he SHOULD be taking them until he can compete and win the job this preseason or sometime during the season.

5. Odds are, he will start the season on the 2nd unit given his lack of experience, he has no NFL playing experience and our MLB isn't is decent already with way more experience.

These kinds of threads just puzzle me. We are in July and now you think he might get cut because a kid who has never played a single snap in the NFL coming off a serious season ending injury isnt just given, without any proof he deserves it? Come on people, lets wait until the preseason and TC starts to play out before we start making these crack pot theories.

Ragland may or may not end up being a good player, but one thing is 100% for sure...they are not just going to cut the highly touted kid coming out of college last year before playing a single NFL snap. There is NO value in cutting him, he costs us nothing really.

I know man. That's why I just haven't bothered responding. The suggestion of him being cut is just too dumb for reasons you stated. I wish this forum would have "thumbs up" thing.

@buffsportspage

.@greggabe drops some knowledge on whether or not Reggie Ragland is a fit for Sean McDermott's defense. https://www.buffalosportspage.com/is-reggie-ragland-a-fit-for-the-buffalo-bills-defense/

Strong Points – “Great size to go along with very good overall athleticism….good play speed….he plays with good strength and is strong at the point of attack….can shed and is a very good tackler…..can drop into coverage and play the short underneath zones……Has adequate pass rush skills…has good lateral agility and can move through trash…”

Weak Points – “More of a reactor than an anticipator…doesn’t consistently take good angles to the ball…wish he was faster”

Summation- “… Has ideal size to play inside in a 3-4 scheme…His instincts are average so he is more of a reactor than an anticipator…He is a downhill player who can stop the outside run because of his lateral agility…Can play in coverage but is much better in zone than man…Can be a solid inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, might not have the speed and instincts needed for a 4-3…he will be good but not special.”

@buffsportspage

.@greggabe drops some knowledge on whether or not Reggie Ragland is a fit for Sean McDermott's defense. https://www.buffalosportspage.com/is-reggie-ragland-a-fit-for-the-buffalo-bills-defense/

#Bills

That's a pretty fair assessment IMO. At the least I think he will be solid, with a nasty, energizing style of play. I certainly don't see anything that points to a slow, throwback bust that can only play in a 3-4 for the 70's Steelers. All in all, not bad for a 2nd round pick.

Nice Read. Thank you for that.

A few things tho...by every other account it WAS his instinctual play that put him in proper position, as he doesn't have elite speed to react. Maybe its a bit of both.

Also, we will be playing more zone than man.so that should benefit his perceived strengths regarding coverage duties. Im ready to see this kid play👍

Edited by BuffAlone

That's a pretty fair assessment IMO. At the least I think he will be solid, with a nasty, energizing style of play. I certainly don't see anything that points to a slow, throwback bust that can only play in a 3-4 for the 70's Steelers. All in all, not bad for a 2nd round pick.

Nice Read. Thank you for that

You're welcome. Just wanted to throw in an evaluation from someone who's well respected in the business of scouting NFL talent.

McD just said in this morning's presser when asked about Ragland...

"He brings a physical and emotional play that need on this football team. We're working to get him up to speed."

Its gonna be fun to watch as he gets his legs back under him

I really like this Coach.

I know man. That's why I just haven't bothered responding. The suggestion of him being cut is just too dumb for reasons you stated. I wish this forum would have "thumbs up" thing.

use your influence

You're welcome. Just wanted to throw in an evaluation from someone who's well respected in the business of scouting NFL talent.

although i cannot quote anyone. My understanding around draft time was that He was an anticipator. That was how he got to the ball quicker than his "timed" quickness/slowness represented.

Have i been off this whole time about his smarts?

Edited by 3rdand12

although i cannot quote anyone. My understanding around draft time was that He was an anticipator. That was how he got to the ball quicker than his "timed" quickness/slowness represented.

Have i been off this whole time about his smarts?

Instinct/reaction vs. Film Study? I don't see why it can't be a combination of both reaction and anticipation to make him the player that he is.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Instinct/reaction vs. Film Study? I don't see why it can't be a combination of both reaction and anticipation to make him the player that he is.

Nicely constructed comment 26.

Let him develop behind Brown. I am one of the few liked Brown pre Rex i suppose.

Glad to see Sean speaks well of Preston !

Maybe a luxury of depth here?

Is this thread for real? There is literally no way this kid gets cut, regardless if you like him as a prospect or dont.

1. Its WAAAAAY to early to read into where people are taking snaps right now.

2. He was a highly touted LB coming out who is YET to take an NFL snap.

3. There is NO rush to start him. We already have a starting MLB who isn't terrible, so its NOT going to be just handed to what is essentially a rookie LB coming off a season ending serious injury before he goes out and plays.

4. Why is anyone even surprised he is taking snaps with the 2nd unit? Thats where he SHOULD be taking them until he can compete and win the job this preseason or sometime during the season.

5. Odds are, he will start the season on the 2nd unit given his lack of experience, he has no NFL playing experience and our MLB isn't is decent already with way more experience.

These kinds of threads just puzzle me. We are in July and now you think he might get cut because a kid who has never played a single snap in the NFL coming off a serious season ending injury isnt just given, without any proof he deserves it? Come on people, lets wait until the preseason and TC starts to play out before we start making these crack pot theories.

Ragland may or may not end up being a good player, but one thing is 100% for sure...they are not just going to cut the highly touted kid coming out of college last year before playing a single NFL snap. There is NO value in cutting him, he costs us nothing really.

1. Agree

2. Highly touted by who? He was a first round grade by the pundits that fell to the second round and drafted by a GM and HC that are gone. You and I have no idea how McDermott and Beane graded him.

3. Agree

4. I'm not surprised he is taking snaps with the second team. That is where he should be. I'm surprised he isn't taking snaps at the other LB spots. How much does versatility matter in a back-up? Can he play special teams?

5. Agree. In the end I would be shocked if he was cut as it makes little sense until he gets on an NFL field. Is shocked a better word than surprised?

PS - Were you surprised when team leader Fred Jackson was cut? How about fan fav Brian Moorman? Starting LT Langston Walker?

These kind of responses to threads puzzle me. It's just a discussion board. Every year we as a community post predictions on surprise cuts, our final 53, and a host of other topics in July. Even the title of the thread is a question. I enjoy the back and forth.

According to reports he has yet to take a rep other than backup MLB. I suspect they would rather have a backup MLB that can play multiple positions like the others have been doing. Just like Cardale Jones, this kid has no ties to this regime and seems at least on paper to not fit the defense.

I never liked the pick, but was hoping he could push P. Brown out of a job. So far the best I can hope for now is P. Brown bounces back to 2015 form.

Thoughts?

At a $1.4 mill average salary? For a second year guy? Nah.

That's a reasonable price for a backup and he still has room to grow and improve, especially after missing his first year.

What he did in college means nothing at this point. It it would be insanely stupid to not give him at least a season to prove himself.

Why do fans always want to label players busts so quickly? Do you get a prize for it? As good as Alabama is, it is a long way from the NFL. It takes time to get up to speed especially after missing your first year.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

According to reports he has yet to take a rep other than backup MLB. I suspect they would rather have a backup MLB that can play multiple positions like the others have been doing. Just like Cardale Jones, this kid has no ties to this regime and seems at least on paper to not fit the defense.

I never liked the pick, but was hoping he could push P. Brown out of a job. So far the best I can hope for now is P. Brown bounces back to 2015 form.

Thoughts?

IMO the only way that could happen ( and i still don't believe it will) is if he gets hurt and is out for the season again ,