The Tyrod Taylor Question

Tyrod Taylor is not those qbs that are mentioned because he is not a franchise qb and probably will never be more then a solid starter........but the lengths that certain poster's go to slam him are down right horrible

What holds Taylor back is consistency. If he was really cursed with one-tenth the crippling flaws his detractors whinge about, he never would have been capable of the success he's already had. What he needs is to be able to play to a level four quarters, sixteen games, year after year. Now, that's a tall order and he may never pull it off. A lot of quarterbacks never clear that final hurdle. There's no guarantee the Bills' shinny-new first-round QB from the upcoming draft will clear that hurdle. But that's the final test. That's what will set Taylor's ceiling, endless blather about "throwing with anticipation" notwithstanding.....

....only 33 more pages to go....I say re-sign EJ and see which QB gets to 100 pages first...............yawn.gif

Is there some kind of record for longest thread we can shoot for?

Edited by grb

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What holds Taylor back is consistency. If he was really cursed with one-tenth the crippling flaws his detractors whinge about, he never would have been capable of the success he's already had. What he needs is to be able to play to a level four quarters, sixteen games, year after year. Now, that's a tall order and he may never pull it off. A lot of quarterbacks never clear that final hurdle. There's no guarantee the Bill's shinny-new first-round QB from the upcoming draft will clear that hurdle. But that's the final test. That's what will set Taylor's ceiling, endless blather about "throwing with anticipation" notwithstanding.....

Is there some kind of record for longest thread we can shoot for?

His "success" has been mostly due to a dominant ground game and a system that only requires safe and easy throws.

I don't know how many times I need to point this out, but it's a major factor into how these numbers come to be, and it fails to tell the story on just what a QB is being asked to do in their system.

The detractors are simply pointing out what's blatantly obvious when watching the guy play. You're stats are more of a means to deceive then to inform, sadly.

Edited by Crusher

Well, we could look at Matt Ryan's second year starting as an example : 451-263, 58.3%, 2,916 yds, 6.5 ypa, 22 touchdowns & 14 interceptions, a QB rating of 80.9

Taylor's : 436-269, 61.7%, 3,023 yds, 6.9 ypa, 17 touchdowns & 06 interceptions, a QB rating of 89.7

Heck, maybe Matt has learned a thing or two...........

Hell, while we're at it, let's look at Matt Ryan's first year starting : 434-265, 61.1%, 3440 yds, 7.9 ypa, 16 touchdowns & 11 interceptions, a QB rating of 87.7

Taylor's : 380-242, 63.7%, 3,035 yds, 8.0 ypa, 20 touchdowns & 6 interceptions, a QB rating of 99.4

Crusher surely is right. It looks like Ryan was pretty good from the get-go......

Better comparison would be someone who also sat for a few years before starting.

Aaron Rodgers first and second years as starter

341/536 63.6% 4038 yds 7.5 ypa 28 TD 13 int 93.8 rating

350/541 64.7% 4434 yds 8.2 ypa 30 TD 7 int 103.2 rating

Tyrod

242/380 63.7% 3035 yds 8.0 ypa 20 TD 6 int 99.4 rating

269/436 61.7% 3023 yds 6.9 ypa 17 TD 6 int 89.6 rating

Matt Cassel of all people sat his first 3 years then started when Brady got hurt then went to KC

327/516 63.4% 3693 yds 7.2 ypa 21 TD 11 int 89.4 rating

271/493 55.0% 2924 yds 5.9 ypa 16 TD 16 int 69.9 rating

262/450 58.2% 3116 yds 6.9 ypa 27 TD 7 int 93.0 rating

Did 3 years of Cassel because he was worse second year compared to first (like Tyrod was) but rebounded in his third year.

Rodgers numbers get better second year whereas both Cassel and Tyrod didn't. IMO Tyrods numbers are closer to Matt Cassel than they are Aaron Rodgers, and I think I have a pretty good feel on everyones opinion about Matt Cassel. IMO Tyrod will be hard pressed to equal Cassels 3rd year stats. We shall see.

IMO Tyrods numbers are closer to Matt Cassel than they are Aaron Rodgers

Well, I don't really have an opinion whether Taylors numbers are closer to Rodgers' or Cassel's

Instead I have something much, much better : An analysis averaging the two season numbers :

Average Completion Percentage : 64.2 AR

62.7 TT

59.2 MC

Yards per Attempt : 7.85 AR

7.45 TT

6.55 MC

Quarterback Rating 98.5 AR

94.5 TT

79.7 MC

I scooted over to nfl.com and averaged the touchdown and interception percentage numbers :

Interceptions 1.9 AR

1.5 TT

2.7 MC

Touchdowns 5.4 AR

4.6 TT

3.7 MC

To your eye Taylor's numbers are closer to Cassel ?!?

Have you considered glasses?

Edited by grb

Well, I don't really have an opinion whether Taylors numbers are closer to Rodgers' or Cassel's

Instead I have something much, much better : An analysis averaging the two season numbers :

Average Completion Percentage : 64.2 AR

62.7 TT

59.2 MC

Yards per Attempt : 7.85 AR

7.45 TT

6.55 MC

Quarterback Rating 98.5 AR

94.5 TT

79.7 MC

I scooted over to nfl.com and averaged the touchdown and interception percentage numbers :

Interceptions 1.9 AR

1.5 TT

2.7 MC

Touchdowns 5.4 AR

4.6 TT

3.7 MC

To your eye Taylor's numbers are closer to Cassel ?!?

Have you considered glasses?

Oh, I see, to fit your narrative better it took you averaging the 2 seasons together but you were ok going mano a mano TT vs Matt Ryan. Whatever fits for ya, I guess, right? Got it! :thumbsup:

You can already see that the table is being set for Taylor to get the ball out in 2-3 seconds.

Our WR's should be able to jam the LOS and create space over the middle, giving our O a more rhythm feel and making us more of a West Coast vibe.

I'm digging it.............just as long as Taylor doesn't get "antsy" in the pocket and try to run every down.

Oh, I see, to fit your narrative better it took you averaging the 2 seasons together but you were ok going mano a mano TT vs Matt Ryan. Whatever fits for ya, I guess, right? Got it! :thumbsup:

So you want to see averaged Taylor and Ryan numbers?

More work for me, but OK :

Completion Percent : 59.7 MR

62.7 TT

Yard per attempt 7.20 MR

7.45 TT

QB Rating 84.3 MR

94.5 TT

TD Percent 4.3 MR

4.6 TT

Interception Percent 2.8 MR

1.5 TT

62.7 TT

Yard per attempt 7.20 MR

7.45 TT

QB Rating 84.3 MR

94.5 TT

TD Percent 4.3 MR

4.6 TT

1.5 TT

This tells us what exactly?

Taylor has only 30 NFL starts. 6.7% of those were 4th Quarter comebacks.

Aaron Rodgers has come back in the 4th quarter in 7.4% of his career starts.

Yeah, but your posts are much more long-winded than mine 0:)

Plus, my yard stick is longer :flirt:

Same reply ... Rodgers and the Packers are an offensive juggernaut ... if you score 31 points a game the last three years you don't need many comebacks ... contrary .. Detroit has averaged 17 points in same 3 seasons and Stafford had 8 last year ... so if you're saying Rodgers and TT are close .. then I'll gladly take Rodgers. 3 comebacks in 6 years should say it all. Same as the illustrious QB's . .Weeden, Ponder, Manuel, Keenan, Gabbert, Flynn. Yep that's good company.

bla bla bla

Do people with a post count of less then 100 ever get tired of repeating the same old hyperbowl over and over

We have to get to 28,000 somehow John

62.7 TT

Yard per attempt 7.20 MR

7.45 TT

QB Rating 84.3 MR

94.5 TT

TD Percent 4.3 MR

4.6 TT

1.5 TT

Totally equal huh? One guys first 2 years in the NFL vs one guys 5th and 6th years. Anything that fits that narrative.

Same reply ... Rodgers and the Packers are an offensive juggernaut ... if you score 31 points a game the last three years you don't need many comebacks.

Except that Rogers still has 54 losses in his career. If you add in his 10 comebacks that means that he came back in the fourth quarter in about 16% of the games he could have.

In 84% of the games where his team was trailing in the fourth, Rogers did not bring his team back for a victory.

Is Taylor's 88% really that much worse than Rodgers's 84%?

It obviously means TT will be better than Matt Ryan.

Gosh

Another drive-by for Crusher! :doh: Edited by transplantbillsfan

I'm just struggling with any attempt to indicate TT is close to Rodgers in any facet

Hilarious.

(1) A poster brings up Rodgers' first two seasons as a good comparison with Taylor. This person is very much anti-Taylor.

(2) So take a look at the two sets of numbers : How different are they?

(3) Someone then clutches his pearls and falls back on the fainting couch. How dare you compare Rodgers with Taylor ?!?

I didn't bring it up folks; I just went with the numbers provided.

Just like I wasn't the one claiming Matt Ryan was infinitely superior, even just out of college. I only looked at the claim.

Edited by grb

Hilarious.

(1) A poster brings up Rodgers' first two seasons as a good comparison with Taylor. This person is very much anti-Taylor.

(2) So take a look at the two sets of numbers : How different are they?

(3) Someone then clutches his pearls and falls back on the fainting couch. How dare you compare Rodgers with Taylor ?!?

I didn't bring it up folks; I just went with the numbers provided.

Just like I wasn't the one claiming Matt Ryan was infinitely superior, even just out of college. I only looked at the claim.

Your posts are totally valid.

With a lot of people around here, Tyrod Taylor is like Rodney Dangerfield - he gets no respect.

As a QB, Taylor is actually much better than he is given credit for by 1/2 of Bills fans. It irks some of them when you show how good his numbers actually have been compared to QB's they hold high esteem for. Truth is, Taylor (in some ways) out shines some very good quarterbacks.

If you took all of Tyrod's talent and could redirect it into being a pure pocket passer - a statue - Tom Brady style - more of the fans around here would be goo goo over him. People around here don't want a QB with athletic talent off the charts. They want a guy with pocket passing skills off the charts and nothing else. Taylor is never going to be that guy. And many will continue disliking him because of it.

With a lot of people around here, Tyrod Taylor is like Rodney Dangerfield - he gets no respect.

As a QB, Taylor is actually much better than he is given credit for by 1/2 of Bills fans. It irks some of them when you show how good his numbers actually have been compared to QB's they hold high esteem for. Truth is, Taylor (in some ways) out shines some very good quarterbacks.

If you took all of Tyrod's talent and could redirect it into being a pure pocket passer - a statue - Tom Brady style - more of the fans around here would be goo goo over him. People around here don't want a QB with athletic talent off the charts. They want a guy with pocket passing skills off the charts and nothing else. Taylor is never going to be that guy. And many will continue disliking him because of it.

It's not just Bills fans coveting a pocket passer, it's Beane as well. Edited by Teeflebees

OK, so the takeaway here is that we should just care about stats and don't worry about wins. What marsha does contributes directly to wins. What taylor does, not so much. When the patsies need extra from brady, he delivers. Taylor can't do that. Teams win games not individuals but we need a QB who can put the team on his back and carry it for a series or a quarter or a half when the need arises. Don't know if the rook has it in him, last years Pitt-Clemson game suggests he might, we'll know a little more tonight. I for one, can't wait to find out.