Off to NYC Later This Week

Gugny

We've been doing a yearly summer weekend in NYC (Manhattan) for about a decade.

We always find something new to do, but I'm looking for something more "off the beaten path," this year.

So far, we've got a concert (Slayer/Lamb of God/Behemoth) scheduled on Thursday night. Friday, we're doing the 9/11 Memorial Museum and I plan to check out McSorley's for lunch. We don't leave until Sunday afternoon.

We'll do midtown/Hell's Kitchen/Times Square, as well as Central Park (Strawberry Fields is a yearly tradition).

We're staying in the Financial District, a stone's throw to the 9/11 Memorial, but will have unlimited Metrocards. It will be my 14-year-old son and me.

Looking for any suggestions - based on actual experience - for something cool that doesn't necessarily show up on page one of a Google search. Anything from food, to exhibits (we're both very much into music), to activities would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best burgers I've ever eaten was at Black Iron Burger in midtown. I think they have a Chelsea location also. Truffle burger is unreal and the fries are very good. Craft beers.

A close friend of mine is a promotions/sales exec at MSG, and can do private tours (locker rooms, luxury suites, etc). But I'm pretty sure he's in Jamaica right now. I'll PM you if I can get ahold of him. Have fun!

One of the best burgers I've ever eaten was at Black Iron Burger in midtown. I think they have a Chelsea location also. Truffle burger is unreal and the fries are very good. Craft beers.

A close friend of mine is a promotions/sales exec at MSG, and can do private tours (locker rooms, luxury suites, etc). But I'm pretty sure he's in Jamaica right now. I'll PM you if I can get ahold of him. Have fun!

This would be fantastic, as the concert is at the Theater at MSG!!!

Not sure if this passes the "actual experience" sniff test, but my sister said this place was pretty cool:

http://trailerparklounge.com/home.asp

I think she told me her friend ordered champagne in a can.

I had a nice meal (and way too many drinks) at this place which isn't too far from where you are staying:

http://www.cowgirlseahorse.com

I've seen some cool street performers at Washington Square park...I imagine any NY parks would have the same. Since you're downtown you may as well walk over to Battery Park.

If you're hungry after the 9/11 memorial you can go across the street to Brookfield Place. They have a big food court, grab what you want and eat outside.

Edited by LI_Bills

Times Square to show your son all the girls in body paint. I think he would like that.

He's seen them many times. He refers to them as "Patriotic Hookers."

Not sure if this passes the "actual experience" sniff test, but my sister said this place was pretty cool:

http://trailerparklounge.com/home.asp

I think she told me her friend ordered champagne in a can.

I had a nice meal (and way too many drinks) at this place which isn't too far from where you are staying:

http://www.cowgirlseahorse.com

I've seen some cool street performers at Washington Square park...I imagine any NY parks would have the same. Since you're downtown you may as well walk over to Battery Park.

If you're hungry after the 9/11 memorial you can go across the street to Brookfield Place. They have a big food court, grab what you want and eat outside.

The trailer park place looks awesome!!!

Cowgirl Seahorse has a nice menu but, damn, 15 bucks for two hot dogs is steep! Not that I'm cheap (okay, I am) but dropping 15 on two dogs is nuts.

Will definitely check out Washington Square Park for the street performers. We love those.

Thanks for the suggestions, man!!

So this is why your dog had bad eyes for a month. :lol: From what I keep reading avoid the subways Gug and enjoy the city

Why would I avoid the subways?

Today is my dog's ninth birthday, by the way!!

LOL... hope you gave him a big bottle of drops. Apparently the subways are a mess right now. http://abc7ny.com/news/local-leaders-host-community-discussion-on-nyc-subway-problems/2241647/

He's a good boy!

My advice to NYC visitors is not to have a preset schedule and walk to your destination. Chances are you'll find something cool on the journey that you'll remember more than the destination.

If you're staying downtown, take some time to walk across Brooklyn Bridge. See if there's a cool act that you may like at the City Winery.

But most of all, just walk around.

He's seen them many times. He refers to them as "Patriotic Hookers."

The trailer park place looks awesome!!!

Cowgirl Seahorse has a nice menu but, damn, 15 bucks for two hot dogs is steep! Not that I'm cheap (okay, I am) but dropping 15 on two dogs is nuts.

Will definitely check out Washington Square Park for the street performers. We love those.

Thanks for the suggestions, man!!

Whatever you do, I'm sure you and your son will have a great time.

Another thing to consider if you haven't done it already is the Blue Man Group. It's pricy but worth it. Saw it 14+ years ago wth wife-to-be and again last year with the whole fam. Loved it both times. It started in a tiny theater in NYC and is still in the same place. It expanded to a bunch of other cities so it's not as novel as it once was, but definitely something to consider either this year or in the future.

Speaking of subways, there's the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn that I thought was pretty cool. It's not very far from the Brooklyn Bridge. It was only like $5 the last time I went. Price I think went up though.

It's a former subway station turned into museum that has a bunch of subway cars from the early 1900's you can walk in and observe. Not sure if that's something you'd find interesting

Edited by Another Fan

* Have a great time!

* Happy birthday to Chloe!

* Thank you!

I'll be following this closely. My wife has to travel to NYC (and Boston) frequently. I haven't been to NYC in years. Right after 9/11 was my last trip, and times were so crazy we almost cancelled. She says all she sees is the airport, the taxi (from which she texts me about how close she is to vomiting), the hotel and the bank. I respond "that's your fault!". There's no reason we should not be building a long weekend or two every year, so that's the new plan.

My advice to NYC visitors is not to have a preset schedule and walk to your destination. Chances are you'll find something cool on the journey that you'll remember more than the destination.

If you're staying downtown, take some time to walk across Brooklyn Bridge. See if there's a cool act that you may like at the City Winery.

But most of all, just walk around.

Absolutely. This is what we do every year (walk ... a lot) and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge was on our short list, as we're staying right there. Since you mentioned it, I'll mark that down as a must do.

My loose plan is, after going to the 9/11 museum/memorial to walk north toward McSorley's and see what we happen upon. There's a record store, Generation Records, that my son wants to hit, so that'll be more walking/stumbling upon places we had no idea about.

a couple of fun ways t see the city here..we have done a few as a family and always have a great time

https://www.watsonadventures.com/public/location/new-york-city/

We have also gone on quite a few walking tours led by this company

https://www.bigonion.com/

Finally, the Tenement Museum is just awesome..but book early

http://www.tenement.org/