Buffalo Bills: 2016 vs 2017

More cap space for Bills = Best birthday present ever.

Gotta say I don't get some of the "logic" I see on the board. If a player does not give his all on the field every game, he is lazy, a slacker, a bad influence. But if the team does not use all its resources in a year and give it a 100% effort to win, and instead rolls those resources into next year, some fans rejoice. :wallbash:

all the bolded :thumbsup:

I think so. a tad nervous as well, but that is part of the fun isn't it ?

Am not nervous about most of this - maybe Ragland and Lawson.

Taylor got measurably better every year even under a crappy OC at VT - not nervous at all about him getting better - not saying Super Bowl MVP or anything but this is still a focused man on a mission - no doubt he will get better - at least even with deserved increased expectations.

Been impressed with Sammy already - even with more than nagging injuries - and it's year 3 with TT as a a partner. Even Julio took a couple years to dominate.

Leslie Frazier - who was once a HC listening to a young whipersnapper ? - meh - professional and the right personality.

Sooooo, are you a tanker?

Serious question. Chin pointed out the many changes to this team. Others pointed out the change of the staff. I will point out the change in philosophy. All these and the Bills are about 60-70% a different team.

Better is better, different is different. Different does not necessarily equal better.

I think offense is the same as far as talent, the defense is a slight downgrade because we are losing depth and replacing Gilmore with a rookie. I think we will perform better though with a better defensive scheme and organization. I hope we are solid on offense, not too confident.

I think offense is the same as far as talent, the defense is a slight downgrade because we are losing depth and replacing Gilmore with a rookie. I think we will perform better though with a better defensive scheme and organization. I hope we are solid on offense, not too confident.

Talent does not always translate into on the field performance. On offense we lost proven performance with Woods and Gillislee. We replaced it with Jones, who is a ?? We got better at one position, FB. We have Dawkins ??, who we hope will be better than our worst liability on the O-line, Mills. We lost Kujo who showed value.

We hopefully ungraded at Kicker.

On defense we lost AW, Graham, Brown and of course Gillmore. We got Hyde. We have hopes and dreams for White, Ragland and Lawson, but at this point they are all ???

Other than hopes and dreams, we have gotten better at Kicker and FB. On defense we got Hyde as a replacement. Until about November, we won't know how much we lost and gained, since most our gains are just hopes and dreams.

Edited by simpleman

Talent does not always translate into on the field performance. On offense we lost proven performance with Woods and Gillislee. We replaced it with Jones, who is a ?? We got better at one position, FB. We have Dawkins ??, who we hope will be better than our worst liability on the O-line, Mills. We lost Kujo who showed value.

We hopefully ungraded at Kicker.

On defense we lost AW, Graham, Brown and of course Gillmore. We got Hyde. We have hopes and dreams for White, Ragland and Lawson, but at this point they are all ???

Other than hopes and dreams, we have gotten better at Kicker and FB. On defense we got Hyde as a replacement. Until about November, we won't know how much we lost and gained, since most our gains are just hopes and dreams.

I'm a Bobby Woods fan but I don't think 51/613/1 is the sort of performance it will be difficult to replace.

I'm still of the mindset that significantly improved coaching is going to make a huge difference with this team.

Sooooo, are you a tanker?

Serious question. Chin pointed out the many changes to this team. Others pointed out the change of the staff. I will point out the change in philosophy. All these and the Bills are about 60-70% a different team.

In itself, that isn't generally a good thing. New players take time to become accustomed to the new team new players and new scheme and the rooks wear out a bit early. New schemes often take a while to internalize so that the players play fast.

I'm a Bobby Woods fan but I don't think 51/613/1 is the sort of performance it will be difficult to replace.

I'm still of the mindset that significantly improved coaching is going to make a huge difference with this team.

I'm not sure yet that we'll have significantly improved coaching. But assuming we do, it's indeed likely to make a difference, but that difference will likely come in the second and third year. Sometimes there are big leaps up with new coaches implementing new schemes on teams that were around 7-9 the year before.

Just not often.

I'm not sure yet that we'll have significantly improved coaching. But assuming we do, it's indeed likely to make a difference, but that difference will likely come in the second and third year. Sometimes there are big leaps up with new coaches implementing new schemes on teams that were around 7-9 the year before.

Just not often.

In the Bills' case, it could be argued that the changes to the defensive scheme in particular should yield instant dividends, on a team that was essentially .500 the last two seasons. The continuity on offense (from a personnel standpoint) is also a positive, combined with a scheme that is intended to capitalize on what Taylor does best.

Of course we know it's a "wait and see" situation, but there is certainly reason for guarded optimism.

on a team that was essentially .500 the last two seasons.

They were .468 the last two seasons. I don't want to hear woulda, shoulda, coulda about the Jets game. They lost it. Same as all the "well 2014 wasn't really 9-7.... it was 8-8...." Nope. NFL seasons are 16 games long. Excluding the final game from the record makes no sense.

They were .468 the last two seasons. I don't want to hear woulda, shoulda, coulda about the Jets game. They lost it. Same as all the "well 2014 wasn't really 9-7.... it was 8-8...." Nope. NFL seasons are 16 games long. Excluding the final game from the record makes no sense.

C'mon, GB...I think I covered that with "essentially."

They weren't "essentially" anything.... they were .468. No more, no less.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove, but ok. My point is this isn't a team that struggled to find wins despite lackluster coaching, which is a significantly different situation than a new coach walking into a program that was 2-14 or 4-12 a year ago.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove, but ok. My point is this isn't a team that struggled to find wins despite lackluster coaching, which is a significantly different situation than a new coach walking into a program that was 2-14 or 4-12 a year ago.

It's just a general irritation of mine. You are what your record says you are. It's not really about whether it says something good or bad about the Bills.... I said the same when people were trying to talk down the 9-7 season.

It's just a general irritation of mine. You are what your record says you are. It's not really about whether it says something good or bad about the Bills.... I said the same when people were trying to talk down the 9-7 season.

Unfortunately, that "irritation" distracts from a meaningful discussion. And put me in the camp that believes late season games with no playoff implications carry as much weight as the preseason.

I agree totally with Dragonborn. These guys have played football all their lives. After training camp they will be fine. Most have experience with other tams so they aren't new at it. Good coaching will make a world of difference. I Hope.

• 2 weeks later...

My take is the team is improved starter wise, but probably not deep enough if too many starters fall. On the other hand, organizationally, by coaching standpoint we are much better prepared and not carrying injured questionable starters into the season. (possible exception - Watkins). newer faces are veterans for the most part. Unlike teams that start rookies in many key positions. George Allen always used to say that for every rookie starting on defense expect 1 loss. From what I see we may only be starting one rookie White. so the deficit isn't so steep. The receivers and QB must get on same page. This potentially is a 10-6 team IMHO.