Buffalo Bills: 2016 vs 2017

Let's compare the Bills starter from 2016 vs 2017 to see if the team, at least on paper, is better or worse than last year.

Bills Starters - 2016

OFFENSE:

QB Taylor

RB McCoy

FB Felton

WR Watkins *

WR Woods *

TE Clay

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

OC Wood

RG Miller

RT Mills

Other prominent players: QB Manuel, RB Gillislee, WR Goodwin, WR Hunter, TE O'Leary, OC/OG Groy, OT Kouandjio.

DEFENSE:

LB Hughes

DT Dareus *

DT K. Williams

DL Washington

LB Z. Brown

LB P. Brown

LB Alexander

CB Gilmore

CB Darby

S C. Graham

S A. Williams *

Other prominent players: DL Douzable, DL McCray, DL S. Lawson, LB Spikes, CB Robey-Coleman, CB Seymour, S D. Williams, S Meeks.

K Carpenter

P Schmidt

LS Sanborn

Bills Starters - 2017

OFFENSE:

QB Taylor

RB McCoy

FB DiMarco (NEW)

WR Watkins

WR Holmes (NEW)

TE Clay

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

OC Wood

RG Miller

RT Dawkins (NEW)

Other prominent players: QB Yates, RB J. Williams, RB M. Tolbert, WR Z. Jones, WR C. Brown, WR Streater, TE O'Leary, OC/OG Groy, OT Mills, OG Ducasse.

DEFENSE:

DE Hughes

DT Dareus

DT K. Williams

DE S. Lawson (NEW)

LB Hodges (NEW)

LB Ragland (NEW)

LB Alexander

CB White (NEW)

CB Darby

S Hyde (NEW)

S Poyer (NEW)

Other prominent players: DT Worthy, DT Washington, DE R. Davis, LB P. Brown, LB Humber, LB Milano, CB S. Wright, CB Seymour, CB L. Coleman, S S. Gary.

K Haischka (NEW)

P Rehkow (NEW)

LS Ferguson (NEW)

SUMMARY

OFFENSE: Three new starters in DiMarco, Holmes, and Dawkins. Watkins missed most of the season so he is like adding a new, very talented player. Woods also missed a lot of time. DiMarco is an improvement over Felton because DiMarco can actually catch the ball and is a better blocker. Players like Holmes, Dawkins, Z. Jones, J. Williams, Tolbert, O'Leary, and C. Brown can make this a much improved offense over last year. The biggest improvement may come from Taylor and McCoy under Dennison's new short passing ball control scheme, which may very well be one of the top 3 offensive schemes in the NFL.

DEFENSE: Six new starters in Lawson, Hodges, Ragland, White, Hyde, and Poyer. Lawson and Ragland could provide a huge impact. Hyde is a special player and a new team leader. White is a rookie but seems to be mature beyond his years and a very solid player. Hodges looks the part. Poyer could be a liability (may be a little too light/frail). Dareus missed four games and was out of shape most of the year. Getting him primed for this year would make a big difference for Mr. Big Stuff. This may be a more talented defense if Lawson and Ragland turn out to be as talented as expected. Players like Worthy, Washington, Davis, P. Brown, Humber, Seymour, Wright, and L. Coleman will need to step up and contribute when called upon. The depth doesn't seem to be as good when compared to last year.

K/P/LS: Three new players in Hauschka, Rehkow, Ferguson. Hauschka is a definite improvement over Carpenter, who proved that he could no longer be counted on. His big leg (capable of 60 yd FGs) could help the Bills to steal a game or two this year. Rehkow figures to outperform Schmidt, who was one of the worst punters in the league last year. Rehkow's versatility puts him over the top.

Reports say that Ferguson is a very dependable LS at a much more affordable price than Sanborn.

OVERALL: Keeping Taylor, McCoy, Watkins, and Clay is a big key. Can the defense mount a pass rush with just their front four?? Can the defense cover on the back end with the likes of White (rookie), Seymour, and Poyer playing prominent roles?? Can McDermott match wits with more experienced NFL HCs?? Can the offense adapt quickly to Dennison's new scheme?? Can the defense adjust to Frazier's new 4-3 scheme?? There are a lot of unknowns, but certainly a lot to be excited about.

I think Dareus is the key on defense this year. He's one of the best in the league at his position, and can have a bigger overall impact on games than a LB. The entire defensive line can help to mask some deficiencies on the back end if they can create havoc, and getting good play from Dareus makes everyone else's job a bit easier. Hopefully he stays healthy, and hungry. Coach Waufle seems like he's coming to the Bills at just the right time.

I'm excited to see the team, and new coaches, and see where they take us, but I realize that there's probably going to be some growing pains early on. Several new players, new staff and schemes; there's a ton of uncertainty right now.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

What I see is potentially 12 out of 25 new starters, and an entirely new coaching staff. Wow.

As some have said, to try and predict this team's performance on the field at this juncture is pure folly.

The starters look good but the issue is DEPTH. any of these guys get hurt and we are toast where as last year we had competent backups.

We did? AW going down crushed our defense's communication and our WR's were street FAs picked up week of at some times (though we did have a ton of injuries all at WR).

2016:

Roman/Lynn OC

Rex/Rob Ryan/Some other dude DC

2017:

Dennison OC

Frazier DC

Excited about that alone

Throw in:

Watkins Healthy

Ragland back (like an extra 2nd rounder)

Lawson back - ditto

Tyrod - familiar system - and one he should thrive in - and is still in a "prove it" year

Zay Jones - XFactor

Logan Thomas - XFactor

Will be a fun team to watch regardless.

With McDermott's apparent measured style - I believe we will be in every game.

Lots to be excited about.

You meant to say "lots of guesses".

Sooooo, are you a tanker?

Serious question. Chin pointed out the many changes to this team. Others pointed out the change of the staff. I will point out the change in philosophy. All these and the Bills are about 60-70% a different team.

Edited by fansince88

I think Dareus is the key on defense this year. He's one of the best in the league at his position, and can have a bigger overall impact on games than a LB. The entire defensive line can help to mask some deficiencies on the back end if they can create havoc, and getting good play from Dareus makes everyone else's job a bit easier. Hopefully he stays healthy, and hungry. Coach Waufle seems like he's coming to the Bills at just the right time.

I'm excited to see the team, and new coaches, and see where they take us, but I realize that there's probably going to be some growing pains early on. Several new players, new staff and schemes; there's a ton of uncertainty right now.

all the bolded :thumbsup:

2016:

Roman/Lynn OC

Rex/Rob Ryan/Some other dude DC

2017:

Dennison OC

Frazier DC

Excited about that alone

Throw in:

Watkins Healthy

Ragland back (like an extra 2nd rounder)

Lawson back - ditto

Tyrod - familiar system - and one he should thrive in - and is still in a "prove it" year

Zay Jones - XFactor

Logan Thomas - XFactor

Will be a fun team to watch regardless.

With McDermott's apparent measured style - I believe we will be in every game.

Lots to be excited about.

I think so. a tad nervous as well, but that is part of the fun isn't it ?