Shaq Attack - Sharks Never Sleep

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked pretty bad last season.

He needs a big jump.

He was pick 19 of the first round. Lawson then had shoulder surgery and came back at week 8, I believe. Lawson gave effort and I do look for a big jump in production. The jump will probably be a product to some degree of having a complete off season to get healthy and a complete preseason to work. look up Vic Beasley's year one to year two stats, it will astonish how good a player can get.

jmc have you ever had an athletic injury surgery and played in the same year?

Im not dogging you.....I want to make sure your understanding what your saying

Wasn't the whole point of Shaq having surgery early so he could come back and contribute "healthy" in 2016?

Wasn't the whole point of Shaq having surgery early so he could come back and contribute "healthy" in 2016?

It was. He did. Not at his natural position mind you, but he did.7 sacks a year, dominate vs the run, and heart & hustle. Thats what I expect realistically from him every year moving forward.To think he had a bum shoulder all these years, and still produced at a high level, should be encouraging to us fans.Natural scheme fit, an ex-marine coach, and the luxery of dependable help/support, the kid looks the part. I expect him to mature fast.

Just what I always wanted out of the overall #19 pick of the draft. Say what you want, but either Rex and Whaley,Whaley and Rex, or both...got that draft right.I expect Washington to have more sacks than Shaq btw..

Edited by BuffAlone

It was. He did. Not at his natural position mind you, but he did.7 sacks a year, dominate vs the run, and heart & hustle. Thats what I expect realistically from him every year moving forward.To think he had a bum shoulder all these years, and still produced at a high level, should be encouraging to us fans.Natural scheme fit, an ex-marine coach, and the luxery of dependable help/support, the kid looks the part. I expect him to mature fast.

Just what I always wanted out of the overall #19 pick of the draft. Say what you want, but either Rex and Whaley,Whaley and Rex, or both...got that draft right.I expect Washington to have more sacks than Shaq btw..

He had one sack last year and did not look good.

Tit for Tat. I thought he looked like a rookie coming off an injury, making a switch of position and looked fine.

A move back to a natural fit, and a clean bill of health (since who knows when, not even himself. ..) and an energetic staff, I can see him fit in perfectly.and be utilized properly.

Sacks are not the be all end all of the position

For a player coming off a surgery he was getting pressure....was in on plays......

Pressures mean far more then sacks

You do realize that functional strength was not going to be there?

There is different type of training that goes on for an athlete in rehab and in preparing for a season......its a lot different.....there is no way Shaq was at 100 percent effectiveness when he was allowed to play....and even when he did he was not getting the crap kicked out of him he did look like he belonged.

Sacks are not the be all end all of the position

For a player coming off a surgery he was getting pressure....was in on plays......

Pressures mean far more then sacks

You do realize that functional strength was not going to be there?

There is different type of training that goes on for an athlete in rehab and in preparing for a season......its a lot different.....there is no way Shaq was at 100 percent effectiveness when he was allowed to play....and even when he did he was not getting the crap kicked out of him he did look like he belonged.

He looked like he belonged... on the bench.

Shaq sucked last year.

Yes he was coming off an injury and a rookie, but call a spade a spade. He didn't look good.

I realize that we have high expectations for a 1st round rookie....frankly I get your point and would normally agree.

I just think there is some extenuating circumstances in this case.

- Playing in the same year where he had a pretty substantial surgery

- Rookie

- On a D where a lot of the veterans were not playing very well either (the RR effect?)

Its just my opinion....but I am expecting a big jump in production from this player this year.

Shaq sucked last year.

Yes he was coming off an injury and a rookie, but call a spade a spade. He didn't look good.

Correct. Too many people here had high expectations for him when he got back to practice after game 8 and then on the field in game 10. I argued about it on a number of occasions. Lawson literally had zero NFL practices under his belt when he started practicing halfway through the season. And there's no way he could have been in proper shape. It's good he got some game experience to get his feet wet. That was important. We should have a very good idea of what we have in him by the end of this season/start of 2018. We just have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

@SalSports

Shaq Lawson just said "it was kind of odd... I knew I wasn't a fit for this defense (last year), but they thought I was."

I followed up with a Shaq, asked him if it was simply Rex and the relationship why they drafted him then. Great response (next tweet)...

Lawson: "No. I feel I was the best available on the board and felt someone had to take me."

@Spencito_

Earlier in the interview Shaq talked about how he had a "tough time learning the 3-4." Calls this year's scheme "much easier" #Bills

https://twitter.com/...309924885700608

@SalSports

Shaq Lawson just said "it was kind of odd... I knew I wasn't a fit for this defense (last year), but they thought I was."

I followed up with a Shaq, asked him if it was simply Rex and the relationship why they drafted him then. Great response (next tweet)...

Lawson: "No. I feel I was the best available on the board and felt someone had to take me."

@Spencito_

Earlier in the interview Shaq talked about how he had a "tough time learning the 3-4." Calls this year's scheme "much easier" #Bills

https://twitter.com/...309924885700608

Lol okay. Easy to blame the guy recently fired.

What circumstances?

Being injured?

Yes a rookie who dealt with an injury to start his career, but he still sucked when he came back up until week 17.

It's the typical over-hype-rookie-backpedal.

When he had surgery.........the homers said he'd be back and be a huge boost to the pass rush..........then when he plays 10 games and is awful........he gets the mulligan as if his rookie season didn't happen.

Show me the sacks Shaq!

(And I am not talking about practice sacks versus Chawklit Blunder).

Lol okay. Easy to blame the guy recently fired.

Yep.

He was stinking it up with hand-in-dirt at the end of the year.