Shaq Attack - Sharks Never Sleep

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you imagine if Shaq admitted last year he wasn't a fit for our scheme? Like....hey media I don't know why Rex drafted me I can't play this scheme. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I think there's a difference between being an ideal fit for one position and not being able to play another. He knew he wasn't an ideal fit as a 3-4 OLB. Thats all he was saying. Fact is, he DID play it last year...so he in fact CAN, just not as well as he can at 4-3 DE

Yea id be more impressed about the reports about Lawson if Jordan Mills wasn't god awful.

For now you take it with the largest possible grain of salt and wait to see how he looks in preseason games.

He doesnt need to be doing against an all pro right now to be excited about his improvement. Mills is a low end NFL starter....but still a experienced veteran player.

If he is turn styleing him on every play....yes that is a reason to get excited.

If Shaq turns out to be real deal, we might be set for a few years with him and Hughes on the outside. Good stuff.

To take it one step further....if Lawson is actually a player....this DL might actually return to the form that helped this team be top 5 in the NFL

I mean..lets not get ahead of ourselves here.....I would be THRILLED with with top 10

Edited by John from Hemet

I didn't see it yet in this thread, but Shaq also said he's dropped some weight.

Lawson is noticeably leaner this year, and said he weighs "about 267-268. That's my range." He played last year at 275 pounds, and during his last year at Clemson was as much as 285.

"I actually lost a lot of fat and put a lot of muscle on," he said. "Better weight."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/29/slimmed-shaq-lawson-wreaking-havoc-early-training-camp-bills/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sure, he might not have looked great last year. I'm sure playing in a defense where he was thinking and not being in the best shape since he wasn't able to fully train had something to do with it.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do, he appears very motivated and on the right track.

Edit:

Oops, missed the other thread talking about the weight loss. Oh well.

Edited by elroy16

jmc have you ever had an athletic injury surgery and played in the same year?

Im not dogging you.....I want to make sure your understanding what your saying

Add to that missing camp and then being dropped into the Ryan Bros cluster*** defensive scheme that Lawson, by his own admission, didn't fit his skill set.

He played in 10 games. Not less than half the season.......10 games. And he looked worse the more he played.

Maybe you personally actually didn't expect more..........but many of the backpedalers here did.

This guy WAS NOT DRAFTED TO SET THE EDGE........he was drafted to sack QB's.

Good to hear he's rushing the passer well in practice.......we'll see how he looks when not facing the league's worst pass blocking RT and a rookie that the Bills reached up to get in a bad draft for OT's.

I'm so glad to know you have credible information about what is being said in the war room during the draft. I can't wait to read what you post during next years draft. LOL

I liked the pick when they made it because he had the talent and the intangibles by many accounts. His coming into camp this year lighter, leaner, and stronger could result in a major jump in play. Im predicting a ten plus sack year for Shaq. Pretty sure this is the kind of guy Mcdermott and Beane want on this team. Ill take character and passion ahead of talent 24/7. Character, passion, and talent usually means a probowler.

I'm so glad to know you have credible information about what is being said in the war room during the draft. I can't wait to read what you post during next years draft. LOL

265# DE drafted in the first round to set the edge....... :lol:..........and clean up for all the other pass rushers :lol: ................did I mention IN THE FIRST ROUND :lol: !

Keep up the ignorance......it's hilarious. :thumbsup:

265# DE drafted in the first round to set the edge....... :lol:..........and clean up for all the other pass rushers :lol: ................did I mention IN THE FIRST ROUND :lol: !

Keep up the ignorance......it's hilarious. :thumbsup:

He was closer to 280 when drafted. I guess your ignorance is in mid season form already! BWAHAHA

@marklud12

Shaq Lawson had yet another standout day on the practice field, at least two "sacks" during team drills. Definite Camp MVP so far.

Absolutely love hearing how good his camp has been! Two good shoulders might be bad news for offensive lines this year.

The season can't start soon enough!!

He was closer to 280 when drafted. I guess your ignorance is in mid season form already! BWAHAHA

265-280........what's the difference? Edge setting DE's are of the 300# variety and typically long. The idea being that they can hold up to 4 quarters of being leaned on by 330#-340# RT's.

The whole "edge setter" thing was just a pre-excuse by fearful fans for him potentially not being a double digit sack guy........which is what is expected from 1st round DE's of his stature.

265-280........what's the difference? Edge setting DE's are of the 300# variety and typically long. The idea being that they can hold up to 4 quarters of being leaned on by 330#-340# RT's.

The whole "edge setter" thing was just a pre-excuse by fearful fans for him potentially not being a double digit sack guy........which is what is expected from 1st round DE's of his stature.

Please list all of these 300 pound 43 DEs. Mario was 300 and was the exception. Jerry is strong against the run at under 260. Michael Bennet is great against the run at 275.

Shaq led all fbs players in tackles for loss his junior year, he's doing more than just setting the edge.

Please list all of these 300 pound 43 DEs. Mario was 300 and was the exception. Jerry is strong against the run at under 260. Michael Bennet is great against the run at 275.

Shaq led all fbs players in tackles for loss his junior year, he's doing more than just setting the edge.

Yeah........not so common anymore are they! :doh:

Because teams don't invest high picks or big bucks into run stopping 4-3 DE's.

Again.......he was not drafted for his run-stopping ability.........he was supposed to be an elite pass rusher.........and plug-and-play at that.

Last year he was not good on the pass rush(2 sacks in 10 games) and he was awful against the run as well.

He had 45.5 TFL and 20 sacks in college. Of which 12.5 sacks came in his final year. I'd say his ability to set the edge was not just a pre-excuse. It was duely noted throughout his career. When you scout him pre-draft, that's what you see. And that's what you draft. Its a very well rounded skill set. I argue that's exactly his strenghth, and why he was drafted

Yeah........not so common anymore are they! :doh:

Because teams don't invest high picks or big bucks into run stopping 4-3 DE's.

Again.......he was not drafted for his run-stopping ability.........he was supposed to be an elite pass rusher.........and plug-and-play at that.

Last year he was not good on the pass rush(2 sacks in 10 games) and he was awful against the run as well.

You don't think Shaq is going to be any good, that's fine, but your arguments are pretty meh.

You were the one that brought up 300 lbs DEs, so your first line makes no sense. There are plenty of DE's that are in the 275 range that are good against the run. Teams still run the ball, so of course they drafted Shaq to play against the run. Remember that tackles for loss in college stat I brought up? He did that because he's very good against the run.

I honestly don't care about last year. He said he was playing in a defense that he was very unaccustomed to so he simplified his game so that he could do his job. Missing all of training camp and part of the year hurt his development and him getting comfortable in the defense as well.

I had hyped myself up into him coming in fresh and making a big impact. It didn't happen and it's pretty clear why. He's back in a defense he knows, at a better weight, and healthy.

You don't think Shaq is going to be any good, that's fine, but your arguments are pretty meh.

You were the one that brought up 300 lbs DEs, so your first line makes no sense. There are plenty of DE's that are in the 275 range that are good against the run. Teams still run the ball, so of course they drafted Shaq to play against the run. Remember that tackles for loss in college stat I brought up? He did that because he's very good against the run.

I honestly don't care about last year. He said he was playing in a defense that he was very unaccustomed to so he simplified his game so that he could do his job. Missing all of training camp and part of the year hurt his development and him getting comfortable in the defense as well.

I had hyped myself up into him coming in fresh and making a big impact. It didn't happen and it's pretty clear why. He's back in a defense he knows, at a better weight, and healthy.

Isn't he in the ... pros now? That college stuff truly doesn't matter anymore, and Lawson most decidedly did not look good last season. If it did matter, Vernon Gholston would be a multi-time all-pro. Badol's point is that we shouldn't be aiming to get DEs with the upside of a Robert Ayers in the first round.

I'm willing to give the guy a mulligan for last season, but not this one.