Stop with "Schedule is Hard"--Analytics says it BS

Serious questions here and not trying to be a dick: You think Tyrod Taylor is a QB who's shown that he belongs as the undisputed starter on an NFL team? You think he looks like a guy whose been honing his skills for 5-6 years and has done the things you want to see out of an NFL starter?

Lastly - why do you think Tyrod Taylor took a paycut to stay with the Bills? My personal belief is that it was because he knew that Buffalo was the only place he knew he'd start, even if it was just as a bridge.

And somehow, you think that's how "someone who belongs," would normally handle that situation?

The only thing he's proven is he WAS where he belonged whilst in Baltimore - in my opinion, of course.

I think he couldve got a glennon type of deal - probably less money - from the browns. But its a short term gain, for some long term pain. Who would want to play for the browns after the last few years? His best chance to actually put up numbers and try and get an actual extension is here. He has built relationships with players on the team, and they believe in him. If he plays well here, we still might let him walk, but he'll definitely get paid elsewhere.

Sort of a... betting on yourself type of situation?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he couldve got a glennon type of deal - probably less money - from the browns. But its a short term gain, for some long term pain. Who would want to play for the browns after the last few years? His best chance to actually put up numbers and try and get an actual extension is here. He has built relationships with players on the team, and they believe in him. If he plays well here, we still might let him walk, but he'll definitely get paid elsewhere.

Sort of a... betting on yourself type of situation?

It was his best chance to start, on a bridge contract, in a place where he felt the team had a chance to be competitive. His other options were either to start on teams that are likely to suck or to sign as a backup on a team with an established starter who has an injury or age question mark - Arizona being the one that was mentioned and springs to mind.

It was his best chance to start, on a bridge contract, in a place where he felt the team had a chance to be competitive. His other options were either to start on teams that are likely to suck or to sign as a backup on a team with an established starter who has an injury or age question mark - Arizona being the one that was mentioned and springs to mind.

Myself personally, the Bills new HC McD just spent the last few years watching Cam Newton rip a new A hole in NFL Defenses across the league and Tyrod Taylor wasn't getting out of Dodge that easily,

Tyrod and Buffalo was mutual...

Myself personally, the Bills new HC McD just spent the last few years watching Cam Newton rip a new A hole in NFL Defenses across the league and Tyrod Taylor wasn't getting out of Dodge that easily,

Tyrod and Buffalo was mutual...

Well it was only mutual once he agreed to the pay cut. If Tyrod had refused the pay cut and contract slashing my gut instinct (though this is opinion, obviously) is that he wouldn't be in Buffalo.

Serious questions here and not trying to be a dick: You think Tyrod Taylor is a QB who's shown that he belongs as the undisputed starter on an NFL team? You think he looks like a guy whose been honing his skills for 5-6 years and has done the things you want to see out of an NFL starter?

Lastly - why do you think Tyrod Taylor took a paycut to stay with the Bills? My personal belief is that it was because he knew that Buffalo was the only place he knew he'd start, even if it was just as a bridge.

And somehow, you think that's how "someone who belongs," would normally handle that situation?

The only thing he's proven is he WAS where he belonged whilst in Baltimore - in my opinion, of course.

I've seen TT ranked as high as number 17 and as low as number 22 in rankings of NFL starters, so yes, he is an undisputed starter for this team. How many QBs would have started over Flacco in Baltimore during their SB run? TT is entering his third season as an active starter, third year.

Bills fans have been ruined by the Patriots. All our expectations are thrown off. We think good QBs play like Tom Brady and good teams are consistently good for years at a time. Besides the Patriots, only the Seahawks have come close to matching that level of dynasty the past few years. And maybe the Packers besides than that. Every other team is mostly different from year to year, same goes for QBs outside of the top 5. I expect Atlanta to fall pretty hard this season for example.

I agree with the overall message of your post...I do think however that Atlanta will beat the " SB runner up curse " and will be a very good team this year...I see them going 12-4 and IMO, they have a legit shot at going back to the big game...They addressed some of their defensive foes from last year and their offense is formidable....

Edited by Iron Maiden

I agree with the overall message of your post...I do think however that Atlanta will beat the " SB runner up curse " and will be a very good team this year...I see them going 12-4 and IMO, they have a legit shot at going back to the big game...They addressed some of their defensive foes from last year and their offense is formidable....

I could definitely see it happening if Matt Ryan and Julio Jones keep that connection going. I have Atlanta pegged as a loss even in my optimistic schedule prediction that has us making the playoffs. I would say the Pats Raiders and Falcons are the teams you can say right now without hesitation they are better than us, unless something drastic happens. The Jets are without hesitation worse than us. Every one of our other opponents is right there with us IMO.

Serious questions here and not trying to be a dick:

1-You think Tyrod Taylor is a QB who's shown that he belongs as the undisputed starter on an NFL team?

2-You think he looks like a guy whose been honing his skills for 5-6 years and has done the things you want to see out of an NFL starter?

3-Lastly - why do you think Tyrod Taylor took a paycut to stay with the Bills? My personal belief is that it was because he knew that Buffalo was the only place he knew he'd start, even if it was just as a bridge.

4-And somehow, you think that's how "someone who belongs," would normally handle that situation?

I reformatted your post numerically for me to answer:

1- I think there are very, very few QBs like you refer to. There was a lot of buzz in Seattle this offseason that they were considering drafting a QB early to "light a fire" under Wilson. But regardless, the answer to your question is yes because that's what he is. Taylor survived a coaching and regime change and was kept as the starter despite new coach and GM who often want to bring in "their guy." And say what you want about a weak draft class, but at least 2 NFL teams (including a pretty highly respected Andy Reid) thought 2 QBs were good enough to not just draft in the first round, but pay a hefty price to trade up for them.

So I guess yes, because he is.

2- Again, yes. He's looked like an NFL QB the last couple years when out of college he wasn't nearly this NFL ready.

3- I've been through my thoughts on this a number of times here, but I think Taylor wanted to be in Buffalo to "finish what he started" because he's an uber competitive guy. He made that publicly known in a way on locker clean out day that took away some of his negotiating leverage. Taylor told his agent to see what was out there but unless team and offer absolutely WOWed him he wanted to be back in Buffalo.

You seriously think Cleveland or the Jets wouldn't have offered Taylor more and given him the starter job? I'd throw Houston and maybe SF in there, too, given their QB situation at that time.

But play for the Jets or Browns for more money...?

I don't think Taylor wanted that.

Everyone says players always follow the money and don't care where they play. I think that's crap. Taylor is a single guy with no family, which I think plays a role here. He's got his parents to help support, but by the end of this year Taylor will have made over $25 million in the span of his career thus far; plenty for him and his parents. If he had a wife and kids I could have seen him being more likely to follow the money.

So ultimately, I think he wanted to be in Buffalo.

4- Given what I said above and the situation: yes.

Well it was only mutual once he agreed to the pay cut. If Tyrod had refused the pay cut and contract slashing my gut instinct (though this is opinion, obviously) is that he wouldn't be in Buffalo.

Glad you said it's your opinion.

I disagree.

But we're never going to know for sure.

Glad you said it's your opinion.

I disagree.

But we're never going to know for sure.

I agree, we won't. What we do know for sure is it only became definitively mutual once the pay cut was agreed. And in my mind that was absolutely the right play from both sides. Bringing Tyrod back at his old deal was always 50/50 for me... or probably 51/49 against. Bringing him back on this deal was an absolute no brainer and from Tyrod's side I agree with you - playing for the Jets or the Browns for more money wasn't worth the likely reputational damage of being the QB of a sucky team.

Whether Houston was interested I am less sure. I heard very strongly they were always Romo or draft a guy. I suspect they are going to be very happy with their choice for a very long time.

Everyone says players always follow the money and don't care where they play. I think that's crap. Taylor is a single guy with no family, which I think plays a role here. He's got his parents to help support, but by the end of this year Taylor will have made over $25 million in the span of his career thus far; plenty for him and his parents. If he had a wife and kids I could have seen him being more likely to follow the money.

So ultimately, I think he wanted to be in Buffalo.

With respect to the bolded, I disagree. Players will follow the money because they have a very short window to do so and they sacrifice a lot to do it.

The rest of your post only enforces this. If Tyrod could have gotten a better deal, with a better situation, elsewhere, he would have taken it. He doesn't have any roots here with respect to family, and he is definitely the type of guy to want to prove his mettle.

But the fact remains that he is still hovering around the bottom of the league in terms of passing. We know it. The coaches know it. And Tyrod and his agent know it.

I really like Tyrod and his overall performance in Buffalo, but a quarterback will never be able to break the bank unless he has proven he can win big games.

The people who say, "Tyrod isn't a real NFL QB," are short-sighted in my opinion, but they have a very valid point when it comes to compensation. Although, one could argue that the reason McCoy wasn't ranked a top-10 player and the reason he doesn't get the respect he deserves is because he has benefited immensely from the presence that Tyrod brings in every. single. play.

Phew! That was too long and probably didn't get my point across very well, but as they say "nothing good happens after 2am"

Edited by MPT

Tom Brady, Derek Carr, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Jameis, Luck, Dalton, Newton, Rivers, Broncos defense

Very easy to see the schedule is tough.

And that is why you field a great defense to stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With respect to the bolded, I disagree. Players will follow the money because they have a very short window to do so and they sacrifice a lot to do it.

The rest of your post only enforces this. If Tyrod could have gotten a better deal, with a better situation, elsewhere, he would have taken it. He doesn't have any roots here with respect to family, and he is definitely the type of guy to want to prove his mettle.

But the fact remains that he is still hovering around the bottom of the league in terms of passing. We know it. The coaches know it. And Tyrod and his agent know it.

I really like Tyrod and his overall performance in Buffalo, but a quarterback will never be able to break the bank unless he has proven he can win big games.

The people who say, "Tyrod isn't a real NFL QB," are short-sighted in my opinion, but they have a very valid point when it comes to compensation. Although, one could argue that the reason McCoy wasn't ranked a top-10 player and the reason he doesn't get the respect he deserves is because he has benefited immensely from the presence that Tyrod brings in every. single. play.

Phew! That was too long and probably didn't get my point across very well, but as they say "nothing good happens after 2am"

And this is why we will never know.

You said Taylor not having any family roots makes it so that it's more likely he would leave. I say it makes it so his family becomes more of his team. These are the guys he's grown close to and become friends with over the last two years. And like I said before, in the end will never know, but I remember how I was when I was single and I stayed in my job not for money but for lifestyle. Lack of a family makes settled lot easier to be persuaded by friends and teammates. You think going somewhere else is the way he would prove his mettle. I say staying in Buffalo, finishing what he started and trying to end his career as a successful QB with one team would be the best thing for him, I think leaving Buffalo would have been like tucking his tail between his legs and realizing he failed even if he made more money elsewhere.

And this is why we will never know.

You said Taylor not having any family roots makes it so that it's more likely he would leave. I say it makes it so his family becomes more of his team. These are the guys he's grown close to and become friends with over the last two years. And like I said before, in the end will never know, but I remember how I was when I was single and I stayed in my job not for money but for lifestyle. Lack of a family makes settled lot easier to be persuaded by friends and teammates. You think going somewhere else is the way he would prove his mettle. I say staying in Buffalo, finishing what he started and trying to end his career as a successful QB with one team would be the best thing for him, I think leaving Buffalo would have been like tucking his tail between his legs and realizing he failed even if he made more money elsewhere.

I think you nailed it...