Off to Europe

Yes... someone has to do it.

Flying to Rome Italy Monday morning.

Arriving Tuesday morning.

Rome,The Vatican and the Amafl Coast.

Then on to a Western European cruise.

The vessel is the Royal Clipper.

Italy,Cannes,St Tropez,Spain,Sardina and Corsica.

Home late on the 23rd

I promise to leave some wine behind.

Everyone stay safe!

Edited by CowgirlsFan

That is AWESOME! We had dinner with new neighbors tonight and they just got back from Italy on Friday. Had a fantastic time and just now recovering from the travel. We had planned to go this fall, but our son is getting married, so it's put off until spring. Look forward to your report.

My sister and bro-in-law did their honeymoon on the Amalfi coast about five years ago. From the pictures and her description it is absolutely amazing. Have fun! Here's a bit of Roman trivia: The Colosseum was built on the site of Caligula's palace. Also, the Colosseum had a partial roof that was retractable, made of wooden masts and cloth sheets that were operated by a special group from the Imperial Navy.

Just remember that when the wind is not blowing they take the sails down and you have to row.

4 people to an oar. Good news is you will be hungry for dinner.

Have fun, say hi to Aussie

My son is there on his honeymoon now.

Cinque Terre for three days, then Rome and leaves today for the Chianti region of Tuscany.

I spent a lot of time in Rome, work related, and came up with my own "visitor's guide" for folks who wanted to efficiently tour the city without wasting a lot of time walking back and forth.

Worked great for my daughter when she only had two and a half days during her semester abroad in Barcelona, with views on what is neat to see and what is overrated, obviously, a personal view, and tips for making some sites more enjoyable, like the Sistene Chapel.

My wife and I have visited other parts of Italy. We did a three location cooking class thing two years ago.

Anyway, great place to visit.

Have a great time!

We were in Rome, Amalfi and did the Vatican tour two years ago (plus Florence and Tuscany!). I loved Italy and can't wait to go back.

Anyone who is in Rome really should take a trip to the Vatican. Even if you are not religious and not an art aficionado (I am neither), the Vatican is a fabulous art museum and a piece of world history not to be missed.

For planning purposes, my son was at the Vatican Museum this morning.

They got there 15 mins before opening and it took 1hr+15 mins to get to the ticket booth.

Clearly a high season Monday.

Well, that does sound like that requires some planning around. Is there a way around that? Tickets on line or in advance? It makes a day at a Disney park sound quick and convenient. But you'd never forget the Vatican Museum, I'm sure.

Well, that does sound like that requires some planning around. Is there a way around that? Tickets on line or in advance? It makes a day at a Disney park sound quick and convenient. But you'd never forget the Vatican Museum, I'm sure.

You can get the tickets online for an additional fee, but its really not necessary unless its a Monday morning or Saturday during peak season.

For planning purposes, my son was at the Vatican Museum this morning.

They got there 15 mins before opening and it took 1hr+15 mins to get to the ticket booth.

Clearly a high season Monday.

We have "skip the line" tickets.

Have a great time! Flew into Rome a couple of years ago and was surprised to see all the cruise ships at the port. Didn't know it was such a cruise destination. Remind the captain not to do any "too close to the beach/rocks tricks" ala Costa Concordia.

Watch out for the pick pockets at the Trevi Fountain. They use people selling scarves and other items to distract you. They wave them in your face and shout at you.

Enjoy your trip. Never had a bad meal in Rome.

You will be visiting my fave vacation spot, Corsica. Since you are on a cruise you will most likely visit Bonafacio because you are also visiting Sardinia. We have only seen a handful of Americans the times we have stayed there so you are part of a rare minority. Enjoy!