Redskins trademark cancellation looks to be unconstitutional

Looks as if finally this "offensive" trademark business the Redskins got caught up in has been struck down as unconsititutional. Common sense and free speech prevail.
"Holding that the registration of a trademark converts the mark into government speech would constitute a huge and dangerous extension of the government-speech doctrine, for other systems of government registration (such as copyright) could easily be characterized in the same way," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion.
"The commercial market is well stocked with merchandise that disparages prominent figures and groups, and the line between commercial and non-commercial speech is not always clear, as this case illustrates," Alito added. "If affixing the commercial label permits the suppression of any speech that may lead to political or social 'volatility,' free speech would be endangered."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politics/supreme-court-redskins/index.html

Edited by BmoreBills

The folks that want to use the Constitution as a basis for outlawing the Redskins' logo are the sort that like to legislate from the bench. The only free speech they like is the speech they already agree with, so the notion that some speech will be curtailed, so long as it is articulating something they disdain, is unlikely to bother them.

This directly involves an NFL team, so Off the Wall does seem to apply to it.

I struggled with where to put it but as it is NFL news other than Buffalo Bills, I chose OTW. Also, it represents a more balanced view of fans there as well.

Edited by BmoreBills

I struggled with where to put it but as it is NFL news other than Buffalo Bills, I chose OTW. Also, it represents a more balanced view of fans there as well.

Sorry bout that

it's easy to see why people want to stay on the lighter side of things.

I've read enough to see that, eventually it would end up here.

At lead here I can use my other names for the skins

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the First Amendment has a very broad scope.

Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms: There is no ‘hate speech’ exception to the First Amendment

Howard Dean and Chris Cuomo hardest hit.

Spoken like a true redneck. oh wait... was that offensive? :oops:

Just kidding around Boyst

I wouldn't care if you weren't. I'm not a pussified man, froot, snowflake or democrat. Names mean nothing to me.

Only a insecure feeble minded person gets worked up over an insult.

Supreme Court rules in favor of The Slants in trademark dispute

TheSlantsSupremeCourt-620x436.jpg Don't they know that dems know what is best for them?

The Supreme Court has ruled 8-0 that it is unconstitutional for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to not register offensive names under the federal trademark law’s disparagement clause.

The Asian-American band The Slants did not receive a trademark due to this clause, which the justices found violated free speech. From CNN:

Edited by B-Man

they're not going to change it so there's no point for the "activists" to keep protesting

I'm sure the 'activists' won't agree. There are a few hard core SJWs on this board when it comes to the Redskins. Edited by KD in CA