Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Off Day on 7/31

And you think training camp at SJF is the reason? :)

They have been doing just fine ticket sales wise even being a mediocre team at best.

One or two practices is almost pointless. Not sure if you have ever been to camp at SJF, but the Bills do it right. Autograph tent for the kids and many more things. It's a great, fan building, experience.

Bottom line, what McD wants is probably what McD gets. And I also get he might not want to spend a month away from home. But it would be a shame.

Could be one the reasons.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you think training camp at SJF is the reason? :)

They have been doing just fine ticket sales wise even being a mediocre team at best.

One or two practices is almost pointless. Not sure if you have ever been to camp at SJF, but the Bills do it right. Autograph tent for the kids and many more things. It's a great, fan building, experience.

Bottom line, what McD wants is probably what McD gets. And I also get he might not want to spend a month away from home. But it would be a shame.

i realize that is what they do - and that is what the Browns do in Columbus for the open practices as well. It's a huge fan fest thing, tons of kids activities, etc. Edited by YoloinOhio

@ByTimGraham

Tim Graham Retweeted Concerned Citizen

I've been told McDermott prefers not going away to camp. Wants players sleeping in their own beds. But SJF contracts already in place.

@ByTimGraham

Tim Graham Retweeted Tim Graham

McDermott tells me I was given incorrect info. Said he loves the idea of remote Bills training camp locale. "You gotta get away," he said.

From: I've been told McDermott prefers not going away to camp. Wants players sleeping in their own beds. But SJF contracts already in place.

To: McDermott tells me I was given incorrect info. Said he loves the idea of remote Bills training camp locale. "You gotta get away," he said.

Almost impossible to "misunderstand" that much. The Bills FO probably got an ear full from SJF and others which caused the 180 degree turn. I guess we'll see how McD really feels once the contract with SJF runs out.

Anyone have any idea when that is?

If McDermott is around that long (for a fifth season) presumably he's doing well enough to start calling such shots. In that case, I would be more amenable to training camp leaving ROC. But for now, I know I sure as hell like it where it is.

The "sleeping in their own beds" thing from the previous (mis?)quote strikes me as weird for a coach who is supposed to be a hardass.

If McDermott is around that long (for a fifth season) presumably he's doing well enough to start calling such shots. In that case, I would be more amenable to training camp leaving ROC. But for now, I know I sure as hell like it where it is.

The "sleeping in their own beds" thing from the previous (mis?)quote strikes me as weird for a coach who is supposed to be a hardass.

IMO being away from family is better for players to focus on preparation and practice heading into the season.

IMO being away from family is better for players to focus on preparation and practice heading into the season.

Right, being away from family, and any usual comforts and trappings should motivate them to focus.

Right, being away from family, and any usual comforts and trappings should motivate them to focus.

Or sometimes being away from home just encourages guys to party it up more. Rochester is obviously no South Beach, but guys are known to be spotted all over town. Leaving the wags at home can create a greater distraction imo.

Or sometimes being away from home just encourages guys to party it up more. Rochester is obviously no South Beach, but guys are known to be spotted all over town. Leaving the wags at home can create a greater distraction imo.

But there are curfews and designated nights off at camp. Seems easier to control a bunch of dudes when they're in one building vs. staying all over town.

And it's not like Buffalo is actually "home" for most of these guys anyway. So I posit that the partying is more likely to occur when they are in Buffalo vs away at camp.

Thanks. Further out than I would have thought. But I imagine if McD wants out bad enough (if he does, who the hell knows at this point) Pegs could buy his way out of it.

if they did opt out of it going forward, it would be a sign of decreased power for Russ imo. If I recall correctly he is a SJF alum and very much entwined in that TC partnership.

It's a weird one that's for sure. McDermott had remote Training Camps with the Panthers. McDermott's protege Reid with the Chiefs and Eagles has/had remote training camps. I'm pretty sure McDermott his entire career, while an assistant coach in the NFL, has had remote training camps.

if they did opt out of it going forward, it would be a sign of decreased power for Russ imo. If I recall correctly he is a SJF alum and very much entwined in that TC partnership.

The fire-Russ-now group and the keep-training-camp-at-home group just formed a powerful alliance.