iphone won't turn on - what's the deal?!?

bbb

It's happened twice in the last few days. I've never had it happen before. I put the phone in my pocket or whatever, and then next time I go to use it, it's dead as doornail. I did some googling and found out that doing a hard boot might bring it back to life - and it has.

But, it said that that probably means it's a software problem. So, is there anything simple I can do - or is it time for a new phone?

Same thing happened to my Samsung Galaxy S6 a few months ago. Only a 1.5 years old.

It was in that reboot loop thingy. Had to send it back, Verizon got me a new one the next day.

Sucks when you can't change batteries. I looked up how to do it on iFixIt, but tight fit seemed complicated. Called for heating a back cover remover in the microwave... You gotta be kidding! No thanx. It was under replacement plan.

What type of phone? My IPhone seems to s$&t the bed every two years or so. Coincidence that I am always due for an upgrade when this happens?

I was running Nougat right before mine deep sixed. Now, my other phone was the case you mentioned. They pushed an OS and my Droid 4 bricked... I miss the mechanical keyboard/slider. Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Bingo. It often coincides with an update right at the 2 year mark.

I ended up buying a new one or updating or whatever they want to call it. My year mark was one month away.............The guy who sold me it pretty much buys into what you guys are saying.

I ended up buying a new one or updating or whatever they want to call it. My year mark was one month away.............The guy who sold me it pretty much buys into what you guys are saying.

I guess I was lucky up until about 2 months ago I was rockin' an iphone 4S!....it then started to rapidly lose charge and would spontaneously shut down. I got an iphone SE, mainly because it was cheap, but also a nice size...what a dramatic difference!

I guess I was lucky up until about 2 months ago I was rockin' an iphone 4S!....it then started to rapidly lose charge and would spontaneously shut down. I got an iphone SE, mainly because it was cheap, but also a nice size...what a dramatic difference!

About the same for me. I really like the Touch ID feature.

Three times I've put a dead phone in a bag of rice like they say to do but all three times I have failed to seal it tightly enough and the phone got all wet when I boiled it.

Well, you're not supposed to boil the rice. It's supposed to be used in stir-fry mode only. Talk to your service provider. Maybe they could send you recipe instructions.

Well, you're not supposed to boil the rice. It's supposed to be used in stir-fry mode only. Talk to your service provider. Maybe they could send you recipe instructions.

Dude it says "boil in bag" in giant letters and when you read the instructionary fine print it gives the details. Neither says crap about how to reseal the bag after you put the phone in. It's like it is a Capri Sun level scam.

And I don't want my phone smelling like soy sauce by stir frying it.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I got the SE, too, because of the size. They call them one handed phones, and I like them way more than the bigger ones.

Same..my daughter has a 6S Plus...that thing is as big as a paperback book! Not for me...

I didn't know how much I was going to hate the bigger sizes, and also almost got the Plus two years ago. So glad I didn't!

I love the big one. Does not fit in my hand very well. I can get enough grip with one hand but, it makes it easy to get the job done with two hands. I can hold it in one hand and work it with the other.

I love the big one. Does not fit in my hand very well. I can get enough grip with one hand but, it makes it easy to get the job done with two hands. I can hold it in one hand and work it with the other while Billy Squier is jamming in the background.

Sorry meade, you had to expect this...

;-)

Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active.

6 months more and I've had it 2 years.

I've been happy enough.

Same... Mine bricked at same exact age. Do you let the battery get low? What are your charging habits?

I didn't know how much I was going to hate the bigger sizes, and also almost got the Plus two years ago. So glad I didn't!

I'm due for an upgrade right now. I currently have the 6, and I'm thinking about going with the 7 (not the 7 plus) because I don't want to carry an IPad in my pocket. Yeesh....

Sorry meade, you had to expect this...

;-)

Same... Mine bricked at same exact age. Do you let the battery get low? What are your charging habits?

I start the day at 100%

As the day goes by I am online here on TBD, Facebook,Text messages, TextPlus,Yahoo and Gmail.

By early evening it usually drops to 25% and I'll charge it back to 50%.

At bedtime which is late because I'm such a night owl,its back down to 25% and I plug it back in the charger and go on to sleep.

When I wake up it's back to 100% and the day begins again.

Should I attend a sports event,I carry a portable charger to recharge after the event.

i love my 6 year old android bionic and my OG unlimited data plan.

i am grandfathered in with a free hotspot app and with the old contract i can hotspot unlimited data without throttle or cutoff. the new unlimited data is shut down at 10gig.

the only thing is i don't get a discount on a phone - which is kind of funny because there are few if any discounts on phones. i am strongly considering the s8 but have been holding out to see what the s8 active and the note offer. i'll have to buy flat out price

basically, verizon has made me a god. my hotspot is "FBI Van #9FG881"

edit oh and i went on ebay last summer and bought the same exact phone i purchased for over $980 in sept 2011 for $44.50. it is my backup, which i recommend everyone has in order to not panic when your phone dies.

go buy an older galaxy or iphone that works as a backup.

Edited by Boyst62

i love my 6 year old android bionic and my OG unlimited data plan.

i am grandfathered in with a free hotspot app and with the old contract i can hotspot unlimited data without throttle or cutoff. the new unlimited data is shut down at 10gig.

the only thing is i don't get a discount on a phone - which is kind of funny because there are few if any discounts on phones. i am strongly considering the s8 but have been holding out to see what the s8 active and the note offer. i'll have to buy flat out price

basically, verizon has made me a god. my hotspot is "FBI Van #9FG881"

edit oh and i went on ebay last summer and bought the same exact phone i purchased for over $980 in sept 2011 for $44.50. it is my backup, which i recommend everyone has in order to not panic when your phone dies.

go buy an older galaxy or iphone that works as a backup.

Is your backup being charged anything - or would you switch your plan only if your current phone dies?

A word to the wise:

If you have a pet hamster and are going to do an experiment to see if they will stay in gradually warming water like frogs, don't do it in the same pot where you're trying to fix your phone. I tried to secure the phone into the bag so its wouldn't leak. The best way to do this was to plug it in on a tight cord so there was no slack for the bag to move around. I thought I taped up the bag good too. But as the water started getting warm the tape came unglued and some water got in. I'm not sure what happened next exactly but Sammy got shot halfway across the room and his hair was standing on end. He was really pissed too, but then again he is always pissed.

the backup isn't active. I use it as a tablet. No carrier.

Thanks. Good info.

A word to the wise:

If you have a pet hamster and are going to do an experiment to see if they will stay in gradually warming water like frogs, don't do it in the same pot where you're trying to fix your phone. I tried to secure the phone into the bag so its wouldn't leak. The best way to do this was to plug it in on a tight cord so there was no slack for the bag to move around. I thought I taped up the bag good too. But as the water started getting warm the tape came unglued and some water got in. I'm not sure what happened next exactly but Sammy got shot halfway across the room and his hair was standing on end. He was really pissed too, but then again he is always pissed.

Again, good info.

Thanks. Good info.

Again, good info.

i'd still keep my plan. i pay $118/32 for 8 months a year and 118.33 for 4 months a year

no idea why some rounding error. innotech and rounding errors!

anyway, the vzw unlimited plan out there now caps your hotspot at 10 gig