Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Wyshynski grades on trade day..Sabres D- 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22594344/nhl-trade-deadline-grading-all-31-teams-moves-non-moves

from his article

Either way, given the prices for other rentals at the deadline, this was indefensible. (And good luck trying shake off that "player-as-GM" finger-pointing at Jack Eichel when the only player they acquired was his college linemate.) The Sabres needed to do so much more than this, and they didn't.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Game 64 on 2/28 vs. TBL at 7 PM ET
21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wyshynski grades on trade day..Sabres D- 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22594344/nhl-trade-deadline-grading-all-31-teams-moves-non-moves

from his article

Either way, given the prices for other rentals at the deadline, this was indefensible. (And good luck trying shake off that "player-as-GM" finger-pointing at Jack Eichel when the only player they acquired was his college linemate.) The Sabres needed to do so much more than this, and they didn't.

It would have been nice, but I can't imagine that lousy players such as Gorges and Pouliot were in high demand.

O'Regan is a small dude, 5-10 180lbs... 

Anyone else think we are secretly tanking again? It sure looks and smells like it. This team has no spine or seemingly any direction at all. 

1 hour ago, T&C said:

O'Regan is a small dude, 5-10 180lbs... 

Anyone else think we are secretly tanking again? It sure looks and smells like it. This team has no spine or seemingly any direction at all. 

How does O'Regan being a small dude imply blowing it up?  I don't think they are tanking at all.  They are simply not good.  Botterill has a long-term plan that emphasizes careful development.  Of course, you have to have the talent to develop.  GMTM set the rebuild back years by bad drafting, poor decisions, and the lack of a cohesive overall plan.  He apparently wanted to imitate the KIngs when the league was moving towards speed and skill.  

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It would have been nice, but I can't imagine that lousy players such as Gorges and Pouliot were in high demand.

Kane was our best chip.  Not sure JB misplayed it.  Seems his value just wasn't that high.  We could use some lottery luck.  Blueline could really use Dahlin.  Otherwise, Svechnikov or Tkachuk.  

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

How does O'Regan being a small dude imply blowing it up?  I don't think they are tanking at all.  They are simply not good.  Botterill has a long-term plan that emphasizes careful development.  Of course, you have to have the talent to develop.  GMTM set the rebuild back years by bad drafting, poor decisions, and the lack of a cohesive overall plan.  He apparently wanted to imitate the KIngs when the league was moving towards speed and skill.  

Kane was our best chip.  Not sure JB misplayed it.  Seems his value just wasn't that high.  We could use some lottery luck.  Blueline could really use Dahlin.  Otherwise, Svechnikov or Tkachuk.  

I put a space inbetween the O'Regan comment and the tank comment to separate them. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Blueline could really use Dahlin.  Otherwise, Svechnikov or Tkachuk.  

We been "stalln for Dahlin" all year.

If not, get Tkachuk, looked like him and Casey had a blast together, especially at the outdoor game. They both already indoctrinated into #billsmafia

Edited by plenzmd1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

If not, get Tkachuk, looked like him and Casey had a blast together, especially at the outdoor game. They both already indoctrinated into #billsmafia

What is discouraging is that Nylander has been struggling. It's still early but if he doesn't develop into the player that was envisioned then it was another big opportunity lost. The former GM talked a big game but didn't play a big game. :(

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What is discouraging is that Nylander has been struggling. It's still early but if he doesn't develop into the player that was envisioned then it was another big opportunity lost. The former GM talked a big game but didn't play a big game. :(

Nylander needs to get called up to develop faster... the AHL game IS NOT built for him. It's a gritty grown mans game

he can't use his speed or skill their cus it's all bogged down...

im nervous he will bust 

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Nylander needs to get called up to develop faster... the AHL game IS NOT built for him. It's a gritty grown mans game

im nervous he will bust 

I don't disagree with you that the AHL is a different game. But he needs playing time. And he won't get it in the big league. Not too long ago Paul Hamilton of WGR was talking about him. He just seems lost. My fear about him is that the whispers about him are getting louder. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ignoring the lottery for second, I fully expect this team to jump Ottawa in the standings. I think their dysfunction may take things to a whole new level soon enough. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

im nervous he will bust 

I'm not nervous because I gave up on him already.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, snafu said:

I'm not nervous because I gave up on him already.

Its too early for that no matter how lost he may look right now. He’s just about to hit the age where most of these kids would just be starting their first pro contract. Add to that the fact that he missed so much time from camp into the season due to injury, he’s missed out on significant developmental time. They’ve got plenty of time to still make this one work. He’s going to wind up being he first guinea pig of the new focus on player development. 

55 minutes ago, shrader said:

Its too early for that no matter how lost he may look right now. He’s just about to hit the age where most of these kids would just be starting their first pro contract. Add to that the fact that he missed so much time from camp into the season due to injury, he’s missed out on significant developmental time. They’ve got plenty of time to still make this one work. He’s going to wind up being he first guinea pig of the new focus on player development. 

I hope you're right, and I do like the emphasis on development.  In any event, I've eliminated this minor concern from my mind, and someday I can be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

Buffalo Sabres fans need to face the truth.

On one hand, they complain about how bad the team is – which they are – with a 19-33-11 record. On the other hand, they’re steaming mad that their rookie general manager, Jason Botterill, couldn’t get a decent return for even one of their sorry players before the trade deadline.

It’s not as if general managers were lining up to pluck players from arguably the worst roster this franchise has ever seen. Castoffs and overpaid misfits are not trending assets.

Biggest regular season win by the Devils in a while.

Hopefully they can remain in solid playoff position. 

The playoffs are much more fun when your team is actually in it, and it's been a while. 2012 to be exact and they have missed the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 seasons.

19 games is a lot of hockey and I don't want to get ahead of myself as the Devils can fall flat on their faces, especially if Hall gets injured and is out for an extended period. Hall won't win the MVP, but he is in the discussion right now.

When first hired

Housley vowed to bring the passion back to Buffalo.

"It's amazing when you look at this roster how many good pieces there are," Housley said. "There's a lot of intriguing pieces about this hockey club."

During his four seasons with Nashville, Housley coached a group that became one of the best defenses in the NHL and was a major reason the Predators advanced to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since entering the League in 1998.

https://www.nhl.com/news/phil-housley-hired-as-buffalo-head-coach/c-289942404

Looking ahead to next season with help from Amerks especially Ullmark. Jury is out on is it Housley or  players or both. Now without Kane , hmm

No one can say Terry isn't trying or cheap. Suppose to have a better scouting dept now, time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

2-28: Phil Housley on WGR (7:43)

Housley - I thought Evander Kane did a great job for us. He contributed offensively early in the season, and found his touch again before the trade deadline. He handled things very well. I wish him all the best moving forward. #Sabres

Housley - we're happy with the group that we have. I know we're banged up lately, but if we play the same way we did against Boston on Sunday, we can win some hockey games. #Sabres

Housley - Jason Botterill felt he did what was best for the organization. The guys in the locker room want to win hockey games and turn things around. We still have a lot of work to do, but we can turn our focus now on preparation and how to win hockey games. #Sabres

Housley - Jason and I talk every day about players and evaluating our players. We still have a lot of work to do. We can't control anything that's already been done. #Sabres

Housley - we both get disappointed and frustrated with the play on home ice. We both weren't happy about the Stars and Kings game, we didn't execute and push back. We want to turn things around, but we know it will be a process. #Sabres

Housley - we know we're going to be playing some teams in a playoff position here, it's going to be a good time to evaluate our players. #Sabres

Housley - We don't want to disrupt what's going on in Rochester. They're having a really good year, but we want to give guys down there opportunities if they've earned it. It's a fine line we have to walk. Hope they have a good run in the playoffs. #Sabres

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Sabres fans need to face the truth.

On one hand, they complain about how bad the team is – which they are – with a 19-33-11 record. On the other hand, they’re steaming mad that their rookie general manager, Jason Botterill, couldn’t get a decent return for even one of their sorry players before the trade deadline.

It’s not as if general managers were lining up to pluck players from arguably the worst roster this franchise has ever seen. Castoffs and overpaid misfits are not trending assets.

Sometimes, the obvious is the hardest thing to see.