Nate Peterman - weak arm? I don't think so!

Tannehill and Tyrod have been pretty much equal in terms of production IMO. You could argue there may be more room to grow for Tannehill since he had very little experience coming into the league, but either way I would think that Tannehill isn't guaranteed his job by his performance either. Maybe the contract keeps the team from truly giving him any competition, but I don't think he's shown to be the answer as well.

And I wasn't arguing that Tyrod is competing with Peterman...he most likely is not. This is not to say that Peterman doesn't show up and give the coaches reason to think he may be able to supplant Tyrod, because he very well may do just that.

Tyrod was a sixth rounder that has performed admirably with the chances he's had the last two seasons...Peterman could do better or worse. There are examples of both. To say there is ZERO chance he becomes better than Tyrod is unfounded at best.

There's a big gap between Tyrod and Peterman today. He's not competing for a job to supplant him. He's competing with Cardale and Yates. My guess is Peterman ends up the number 2.

I'm guessing that most people haven't seen a lot of him so they are approaching it as "sure he's next." Not picking on anyone but upthread someone suggested that he play because his draft profile sounded encouraging!! That same draft profile said, "he may be a long-term backup." That's exactly what I am saying. He's smart, and accurate but limited. I actually thought the McCarron comparison was more than fair to Peterman. He's not competing for a starting job though and if Tyrod isn't the answer they aren't rolling with the QBs they have. They have 2 first round picks in a loaded QB draft. Peterman's only chance is if Tyrod goes down for half the year and he lights it up. He isn't going to have the opportunity otherwise.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Peterman starting. And in fact, none of the rookie QB's are slated to start this year, at least from game 1. Peterman should be no different.

Some of the rookies will start this year. But the Bills and Tyrod would really have to suck for Peterman to play. But odds are, he will play before Cardale.

I think some people understand how good Fitz' career has been in terms of what most qbs achieve. Fitz isn't a HOFer but his career is better than 85% of qbs. It would be a huge win if Peterman has half of the career of Fitz.

Yeah, but his career went a lot farther because of Gailey. He should've never lasted this long, honestly.

my poor ability to judge a qb or is it your poor ability to understand what was said?

it is my lack of confidence in Tyrod to start all games next season. if he is benched who do you think will start?

Why will he be benched? He's not going to be benched. If he gets hurt for an extended period it's going to be a young guy. If it is in the middle of the game and short term Yates maybe. I'm hoping if he gets hurt the Bills roll with Cardale or Peterman. I'm banking on Peterman winning the number 2 job.

There's a big gap between Tyrod and Peterman today. He's not competing for a job to supplant him. He's competing with Cardale and Yates. My guess is Peterman ends up the number 2.

I'm guessing that most people haven't seen a lot of him so they are approaching it as "sure he's next." Not picking on anyone but upthread someone suggested that he play because his draft profile sounded encouraging!! He's smart, and accurate but limited. I actually thought the McCarron comparison was more than fair to Peterman. He's not competing for a starting job though and if Tyrod isn't the answer they aren't rolling with the QBs they have. They have 2 first round picks in a loaded QB draft. Peterman's only chance is if Tyrod goes down for half the year and he lights it up. He isn't going to have the opportunity otherwise.

Curious, do you think McD drafted Peterman with career backup in mind ?

The same reason that the Bengals took McCarron and the Raiders took Cook. He represented good value at that point.

Yup. You don't wait until the 5th round (much less 6th) if you think a guy is a starter.

The same reason that the Bengals took McCarron and the Raiders took Cook. He represented good value at that point.

Agreed. And congrats for McCarron for being the new super overrated backup qb title holder. And Thise are two guys who won't have close to career of Fitz. Neither will Peterman or Jones.

Too much is made about arm strength. We have seen guys get stronger arms after their technique is worked with and they get on an NFL strength program. Brady had a horrible arm in regards to strength, so did Montana etc. The guy will be fine in that regard.

You can wiggle your nose and declare it but it's no more true than those that said TT would make huge strides. You are pointing to exceptions, not rules, in your examples.

He might, but it's a long shot that he becomes a different player (True for every qb on our roster right now)

I know it sounds like I'm knocking him and don't mean for it to be. He has a chance to be in the league for a while. There are a lot of guys that have made a nice living being smart and accurate (see Daniel, Chase). He has a place in the NFL it's just not at the top of the depth chart on a good team.

If he does what McCarron has done for the Bengals I will be thrilled. That will be a great use of a 5th rounder.

I thought they talked about arm strength WRT the 10-yard out?

Depends on whether he plays great and they miss the playoffs because of the defense. But even then, they could still give Peterman the last game of the season.

Yeah, the deep out is the throw for arm strength

Last I checked, qbs like Brady & Montana hardly had canon arms? Peterman was the mid round guy I was praying we'd pu and we did. And in time it will pay off.

It's officially the offseason when we declare a later round, average talent qb is comparable to Brady or Montana. Trent Edwards loves this comparison. :)

And I'd love for you to be right!

Curious, do you think McD drafted Peterman with career backup in mind ?

If you can get 4 years of decent backup qb play for league minimum instead of $3-5m a year that's GREAT value at that point. That he's the equivalent of a lottery ticket doesn't hurt the value but you aren't taking a guy you expect to start there.

I know it sounds like I'm knocking him and don't mean for it to be. He has a chance to be in the league for a while. There are a lot of guys that have made a nice living being smart and accurate (see Daniel, Chase). He has a place in the NFL it's just not at the top of the depth chart on a good team.

If he does what McCarron has done for the Bengals I will be thrilled. That will be a great use of a 5th rounder.

I still would have liked to see what Daniel could do as a starter. Odds are he would have crapped out like most late round qbs but I liked him more than most.

Agreed. And congrats for McCarron for being the new super overrated backup qb title holder. And Thise are two guys who won't have close to career of Fitz. Neither will Peterman or Jones.

Ha ha, I almost used Fitz as the "smart guy" but figured so many people think Fitz is awful. He's been the ultimate fringe starter (I'd put Hoyer there too). Guys that can play a handful of games and even compete. They have some horrible games but can have big ones (like Fitz against us last year). McCarron is kind of that fringe starter now but without the resume so people think he's better.