1992 NFL Classic: Bills 34 49ers 31 with No Punts

I remember literally feeling dizzy watching that game.

I also remember San Francisco fans bitching that year about how Steve Young sucked. and me telling them "Did you even watch this game?"

i remember listening to the call in shows in SF after the game , the fans were saying the same thing. - 'Montana would have won the game'

I was there. It was an amazing game. When the Bills came out for pre game warmups. Most of the niner fans were still outside eating their cheese. The Bills fans were loud. Bruce did a lap around the field holding his helmet high. It was great. Postgame near the Bills busses a fence was up and a couple thousand fans were going nuts when they boarded the busses. What a game, team and era. You just woke up expecting them too win every Sunday. Well except for the last game of the year.......

Bills fans eating Cheese Wiz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember literally feeling dizzy watching that game.

I also remember San Francisco fans bitching that year about how Steve Young sucked. and me telling them "Did you even watch this game?"

This was during the QB controversy times of Joe Montana & Steve Young. I lived through that whole experience.

Trust me, the divide between Bills fans over Flutie & Johnson was nothing compared to this.

The Joe Montana fans were brutal to Steve Young and his supporters.

I don't recall that. Young had 400 yards passing and 100 yards rushing. Kelly had over 300 passing. The defenses really did nothing at all, hence the 1000 yards offense and 0 punts.

They were constantly knocked about after pass. True, few sacks. Lots of hits on qb

I don't recall that. Young had 400 yards passing and 100 yards rushing. Kelly had over 300 passing. The defenses really did nothing at all, hence the 1000 yards offense and 0 punts.

Actually Kelly also ended up with over 400 yards passing.

To say the defenses really did nothing at all isn't true. Both the Bills & 49'ers made an interception, and they forced a pair of fumbles too.

Granted there were few sacks in this game, but both Kelly & Young took quite a few hits.

To say the defenses really did nothing at all isn't true. Both the Bills & 49'ers made an interception, and they forced a pair of fumbles too.

Granted there were few sacks in this game, but both Kelly & Young took quite a few hits.

Perhaps, but safe to say, not a day for either defense to brag.

It truly was a marquee game that year, featuring two of the League's very best teams. While they didn't disappoint, it should be noted regarding the No Punts that there were T/O's and end of half no scoring. 65 total points is a weekly effort with the Saints and has been for a few years. As for a lack of defense, Shane Conlan called it a track meet.

Best part of it, looking back. is the HOFers involved in the game!

I will never forget this game. I had moved to Southern California 5 years earlier and a friend that I grew up with in Tonawanda happened to be in the Bay area at the same time and we were lucky enough to get tickets. As we walked to our seats, I saw someone seated in the row behind us. A childhood friend of ours who grew up on my street and hadn’t seen since his Dad passed away and he moved out of town at 16 years old. I yelled out his name in excitement and as a true Bills fan, said "We'll talk at half-time", which, as a Bills fan, he completely understood.

We connected at the half but missed each other at the end of the game. And that was the last time we saw him… until 2013. We reconnected on facebook and he was still living in Northern California. Coincidentally, I arranged a wine country trip with good childhood friends and their wives, including my friend that I went to the game with and made plans to see our friend. About a month before the trip, he stopped communicating and I thought that we wouldn't see him. About a week before the trip, we finally connected and I learned that he had congenital heart failure, almost died and was hospitalized for a month. We did meet on the trip, which made it even more meaningful and talked about that amazing game, still in awe of what we witnessed. He wrote several questions about places and people that we grew up with in Tonawanda and my friends were able to answer his questions. It was a great evening with a lot of laughs.

About 3 months later, he passed away, from congenital heart failure. It made me feel so good that we were able to connect and that he was able to see old friends, catch up with his hometown and feel good about life, both past and present. This game will always have a place in my heart.

Go Bills!

Edited by gobillsatthebeach

They just couldn't stop anyone. I have a vague recollection of Talley admitting as much, and stating they just started trying to force turnovers, since they couldn't stop ****.

I also have a recollection of Talley being slightly glassy-eyed when saying that, as though he couldn't quite process what had just happened.

This was during the QB controversy times of Joe Montana & Steve Young. I lived through that whole experience.

Trust me, the divide between Bills fans over Flutie & Johnson was nothing compared to this.

We were amazed at the fan reaction. Even the post-game hosts were exasperated with them...Young throws over 400 yards, all those touchdowns, no punts and people bitched the Montana would have won the game.

Ted Washington roughing then passer penalty. How many hall of famers on field? Crazy.

They really beat the hell out of young and Kelly. Watch this and tell me Brady would have lasted in this era.

You can play a drinking game with all the plays that would be penalized in 2017.

Which is exactly what made this game so special.

Crybaby wouldn't have lasted in this era of football, because this was when QB's were real football players.

Edited by Mark Vader

Which is exactly what made this game so special.

Crybaby wouldn't have lasted in this era of football, because this was when QB's were real football players.

I have to disagree with you. Brady by be a whiner but the dude has taken some pretty heavy hits in his career and he's pretty quick to bounce back up.

I will never forget this game. I had moved to Southern California 5 years earlier and a friend that I grew up with in Tonawanda happened to be in the Bay area at the same time and we were lucky enough to get tickets. As we walked to our seats, I saw someone seated in the row behind us. A childhood friend of ours who grew up on my street and hadn’t seen since his Dad passed away and he moved out of town at 16 years old. I yelled out his name in excitement and as a true Bills fan, said "We'll talk at half-time", which, as a Bills fan, he completely understood.

We connected at the half but missed each other at the end of the game. And that was the last time we saw him… until 2013. We reconnected on facebook and he was still living in Northern California. Coincidentally, I arranged a wine country trip with good childhood friends and their wives, including my friend that I went to the game with and made plans to see our friend. About a month before the trip, he stopped communicating and I thought that we wouldn't see him. About a week before the trip, we finally connected and I learned that he had congenital heart failure, almost died and was hospitalized for a month. We did meet on the trip, which made it even more meaningful and talked about that amazing game, still in awe of what we witnessed. He wrote several questions about places and people that we grew up with in Tonawanda and my friends were able to answer his questions. It was a great evening with a lot of laughs.

About 3 months later, he passed away, from congenital heart failure. It made me feel so good that we were able to connect and that he was able to see old friends, catch up with his hometown and feel good about life, both past and present. This game will always have a place in my heart.

Go Bills!

I enjoyed reading that, this is the kind of stuff that makes being a sports fan fun. It transcends era's and time periods but the memories will always be there

Those Niner fans had a problem that we can only dream of. Young had an impossible act to follow. Montana was the GOAT, and there is nothing Young could have done to match it. In reality Young doesn't measure up to Montana whatsoever, but you have to judge his career independent of Montana to see his greatness.

The NYG spoiled that in the NFC Championship game with a 15-13 win before SBXXV.

The Cowboys also beat them twice in the NFC Championship game during our SB run. They represented the NFC the year before and the year after our four year run.

It truly was a marquee game that year, featuring two of the League's very best teams. While they didn't disappoint, it should be noted regarding the No Punts that there were T/O's and end of half no scoring. 65 total points is a weekly effort with the Saints and has been for a few years. As for a lack of defense, Shane Conlan called it a track meet.

Best part of it, looking back. is the HOFers involved in the game!

True.

Point total aside, how often in today's NFL do we see 2 teams putting up these kinds of offensive numbers in yardage in a game?