Who else is all in on this new way of doing things?

I bought into the Donahoe/Williams, Nix/Gailey, and Whaley/Marrone. I even bought into Jauron as HC for a while until I realized exactly what he was doing to the team.

In hindsight, I think that Nix/Gailey was the best of a poor lot since Butler/Phillips in 2000. Thanks to Jauron, the Bills by 2010 were probably as talent-less as an expansion team. Nix improved the talent immensely, and Gailey managed to get that crew to win a few games even though they didn't have a defense and a limited offense with Fitzpatrick at QB. Nix's only major faux pas, IMO, was trading Marshawn Lynch, and my guess is that that may have been ordered from higher up the corporate food chain. I think the Bills had decided to get rid of Lynch in 2009 before Nix became GM, which is why they drafted Spiller.

Nix and Gailey produced a terrible record of 16-32.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix and Gailey produced a terrible record of 16-32.

They started with NOTHING in the talent department thanks to Jauron and the GM-By-Committee. Brian Moorman, the Bills punter, was like the only Bill to make the Pro Bowl during Jauron's reign ... and that was because I think there was still a rule that every team had to have at least one representative. If all you go by is the record, then yeah, they were awful, but from where they started and where they left, the team improved greatly. If you had actually watched the Bills play during the Jauron era, you would understand what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I had season tix back then and got to watch the disaster in person.

They started with NOTHING in the talent department thanks to Jauron and the GM-By-Committee. Brian Moorman, the Bills punter, was like the only Bill to make the Pro Bowl during Jauron's reign ... and that was because I think there was still a rule that every team had to have at least one representative. If all you go by is the record, then yeah, they were awful, but from where they started and where they left, the team improved greatly. If you had actually watched the Bills play during the Jauron era, you would understand what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I had season tix back then and got to watch the disaster in person.

While the results were awful, Nix did bolster the talent level of the team during his tenure (the talent couldn't have been much worse). Marrone and Whaley started out with a lot more than Gailey and Nix did. Gailey also failed at hiring a decent D.C.

Marshawn Lynch. Lee Evans. Jason Peters. Aaron Schobel, Byrd, Fred Jackson-there was talent on those teams. They went 7-9 every year. Nix couldn't even get to the seven win mark. His body of work was below average. The 2010 offseason was one of the worst in the team's history. Extension of Kelsey, Fitz.Whaley was average at best. Nix-16-32. Whaley-30-34. Neither good enough.

Edited by JM2009

While the results were awful, Nix did bolster the talent level of the team during his tenure (the talent couldn't have been much worse). Marrone and Whaley started out with a lot more than Gailey and Nix did. Gailey also failed at hiring a decent D.C.

These posts drive me crazy; this has been a failed organization since 1999. You can rationalize past efforts, laud them, make excuses, whatever, but talent acquired does not mean squat! Do you win and are you still playing in January consistently offers the final grade!

I wasn't "all in" when Rex was hired(I know a ton of Jets fans who warned me), but with all the changes from the bottom up, I feel there is hope. The Pegulas learned a hard lesson with their first hire. Plus, without hope what else do you have?

...here's my two cents.....first uh oh was Donohole needing to be named President, first in club history...why Tom?.....it was ego....greenhorn Williams was hired on the cheap at 900 grand because he would subordinate to El Presidente.......subsequent, Brandon put in positions not qualified for followed by Marv, Gailey, Jauron, Nix, etc, all retreads past their prime.....Marrone preached culture change which ws a good thing, but General Patton and his whip doesn't work with pro athetes (didn't Saban and Petrino flee back to the collegiate ranks)....Whaley is caught in the crossfire of this sadly patchwork mess and tries to make the best of it, but had the usual GM personnel gaffes which weer exacerbated by chalking up Year 17....last bonafide football operation actually run by football people goes back to Polian era...McD a greenhorn?...of course.....but seems to be highly detailed, specific, has been given credit for running the draft, reviewed 2016 OTA film and did not like the tempo, which equates to the same culture change Marrone new was necessary before he took off.....now to Admin/FO...the GM Beane hiring has attracted how many former VP's and former Personnel Directors?....they all can't be desperate for work and came to Buffalo as a last chance (detractors will say so)....so now the FO/Admin is comprised of a bunch of young gun 40 somethings who want to build a long term winner....on paper?...sure...best assembly of a football organization since Polian?....yes in my opinion.......

A small quibble here... Comparing Marrone to Patton is an insult to Patton. Patton was much more than a disciplinarian with a loud mouth. The guy had tremendous leadership skills.

I wasn't "all in" when Rex was hired(I know a ton of Jets fans who warned me), but with all the changes from the bottom up, I feel there is hope. The Pegulas learned a hard lesson with their first hire. Plus, without hope what else do you have?

The Bills? ;)

These posts drive me crazy; this has been a failed organization since 1999. You can rationalize past efforts, laud them, make excuses, whatever, but talent acquired does not mean squat! Do you win and are you still playing in January consistently offers the final grade!

overall record of 400-460-8...kind of a failed franchise most of the time

I'll reserve my opinion until after we see the results on the field, but I do like what they're doing so far. We'll know for sure after week 10

My thoughts exactly, I use the 1979 and 1986 seasons to compare, both losing seasons but you could see progress. Insanity is to continue the same after 17 years of failure!

My thoughts exactly, I use the 1979 and 1986 seasons to compare, both losing seasons but you could see progress. Insanity is to continue the same after 17 years of failure!

New coaches, new GM. How exactly is that continuing the past 17 years?

Who lauded them? Who made excuses? Rationalized, yes. Not sure what's wrong with telling it how it is. Yes, they failed. I never said Nix or Whaley were great GMs. I never said gailey was a great coach. I never said they were even good. I said nix improved the talent level and that gailey failed at hiring a head coach. Whaley failed at acquiring a QB. His tenure failed to hire a competent HC. I think you're overreacting to a very general and true post. Yes, the organization has been a failure for almost 2 decades. We all know this. No one is saying it hasn't been a failure.

New coaches, new GM. How exactly is that continuing the past 17 years?

My point exactly, I am totally on board with the current overhaul, my posting is directed to those fearful and opposing the overhaul. We are indeed creating a new culture, but the final grade is yet to come!

Who lauded them? Who made excuses? Rationalized, yes. Not sure what's wrong with telling it how it is. Yes, they failed. I never said Nix or Whaley were great GMs. I never said gailey was a great coach. I never said they were even good. I said nix improved the talent level and that gailey failed at hiring a head coach. Whaley failed at acquiring a QB. His tenure failed to hire a competent HC. I think you're overreacting to a very general and true post. Yes, the organization has been a failure for almost 2 decades. We all know this. No one is saying it hasn't been a failure.

The I guess we are in agreement, if I misunderstood your post my apologies!

My point exactly, I am totally on board with the current overhaul, my posting is directed to those fearful and opposing the overhaul. We are indeed creating a new culture, but the final grade is yet to come!

The I guess we are in agreement, if I misunderstood your post my apologies!

OK