What Is On Your Memorial Day Menu?

Gugny

Had a cookout yesterday about 35 people. Just did the traditional burgers, dogs, sausages, pork chops, chicken. I was going to do steak but with the amount of drinking we did it would have been a waste. A McDonald's burger would have tasted the same.

That's a good group! We used to have groups of 30-60 a lot when we were in Florida. I loved the entertaining, but I must be getting old. Like a wedding, with so many people I don't get to be with everyone. I'll probably enjoying keeping it to a dozen or less for the most part. Though I will miss having the house and the energy to host countless people going forward. It was fun to have the big party or come home to find the whole HS football team watching a college game with a stack of pizzas.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found some nice tbones in chopper..

Sliced yellow squash rubbed with Tuscan olive oil

Aspagus sliced and covered with bread crumbs

Small potatoes grilled with cheese topping

Topped off with mothers potatoes salad

My girls can cook..!

We had our BBQ yesterday, we had about 45 people over. I served baby back ribs, steak tips, grilled shrimp skewers, brats, Hummel dogs, Hawaiian style chicken kabobs, grilled vegetable medley, bacon cheese burgers, grilled wasabi tuna, potato and egg salad, pasta salad, taco salad, Rhode Island style clear chowder, and my brothers brought a bunch of sea bass they had caught the night before and we grilled that up too.

Dayummmmm! That is quite the cookout. Sounds awesome. I hope you guests enjoyed it!

About to throw some hot Italian sausage on. Toast some hoagie rolls, add some sautéed onions and peppers, a little provalone....and I'm happy. Can't decide if I'll grill or steam corn on the cob. Timing messed up as the wife is out car shopping with our son. Second big repair bill in 6 weeks, it's time. She actually LOVES that car buying game. I HATE it! She tells our kids "THAT is my sport!". Same thing at work for her.

About to throw some hot Italian sausage on. Toast some hoagie rolls, add some sautéed onions and peppers, a little provalone....and I'm happy. Can't decide if I'll grill or steam corn on the cob. Timing messed up as the wife is out car shopping with our son. Second big repair bill in 6 weeks, it's time. She actually LOVES that car buying game. I HATE it! She tells our kids "THAT is my sport!". Same thing at work for her.

that sounds good. Do you add sauce to the sausage hoagie?

I am steaming and grilling the corn on the cob right now. Steam it first in paper towels in the microwave-- which I was told by a corn "expert" is the best way to cook corn.

that sounds good. Do you add sauce to the sausage hoagie?

No, with he peppers and onions it was just right!

I am steaming and grilling the corn on the cob right now. Steam it first in paper towels in the microwave-- which I was told by a corn "expert" is the best way to cook corn.

I had never heard of that! May look into that next time. It's a little early in the year I guess, but the corn kernels were....quite petite. Still, it seemed like a welcome to summer thing to do! Since I grilled, it rained, of course!

How long do you steam it? Curious about this.

You don't even need the paper towels.

Just put the corn (still in the husk) in the microwave for about 4 minutes. Add about another minute or so per extra ear.

That's it. Cut off an inch or so on the big end, put something like an oven mitt over the short end and squeeze, and that sumbitch will slide out clean as a whistle and perfectly cooked.

Let me know what you guys think of the microwave steam

Method!

Will do, I already let my son roll his corn in the butter, so that stick of butter will keep reminding my of the needed "corn experiment".