Should we develop an offense similar to the K-Gun?

Parcells and Belichick devised the game plan that beat the BIlls

remember the Bills were floating around thinking this was a cakewalk after destroying the Raiders (and winning at the Meadowlands in December)

oh, it's not to the credit of the Giants coaching staff that the Bills were limited to 19 touches?

that's TOTAL GENIUS!!!!

Belichick devised the running game that allowed the Giants to hold the ball for 41 minutes? Who knew? That was the ONLY reason the Giants won that game.

That game and his role in it has been mythologized to the point of nausea. Just another example of history not being about what happened, but about the telling of what happened.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills should have beaten the Giants easily.

Belichick devised the running game that allowed the Giants to hold the ball for 41 minutes? Who knew? That was the ONLY reason the Giants won that game.

That game and his role in it has been mythologized to the point of nausea. Just another example of history not being about what happened, but about the telling of what happened.

They won.

"Th-Th-The, Th-Th-The, Th-Th... That's all, folks!"

Bills should have beaten the Giants easily.

They won.

"Th-Th-The, Th-Th-The, Th-Th... That's all, folks!"

Sure, that's all. If you're into superficial analysis and have no interest in looking deeper.

Given Tyrod under center they need an offense that presents open receivers to his line of sight. TT has not shown a trust to throw into tight coverage or to a 'spot'.

I'm afraid he'd end up tucking and running more often than not in a K Gun style attack.

are you gonna cry again if I hurt your feelings, like last week?

Now that's funny.

As for Superbowl XV, a little closer analysis bears out everything I've indicated about that game. But I understand the extra time and insight that requires may not be for everyone.

Belichick is the greatest defensive mind this league has ever seen imo; perhaps the greatest HC ever given his ability to tailor game plans to specific matchups. But SB XV is simply not one of his masterpieces and he is lucky the Bills self-destructed on defense and Kelly refused to get Thurman involved from the start. His defense got its ass handed to it for the short time it was on the field.

Now that's funny.

As for Superbowl XV, a little closer analysis bears out everything I've indicated about that game. But I understand the extra time and insight that requires may not be for everyone.

Belichick is the greatest defensive mind this league has ever seen imo; perhaps the greatest HC ever given his ability to tailor game plans to specific matchups. But SB XV is simply not one of his masterpieces and he is lucky the Bills self-destructed on defense and Kelly refused to get Thurman involved from the start. His defense got its ass handed to it for the short time it was on the field.

I agree with you that the Giants controlling the clock through the run game was a key factor in that loss. But as you noted Kelly forced throws into an eight man pass defense instead of using Thurman and Davis in the running game when the Giants were using a two and three man line. If Kelly would have been more patient and taken what was given they could have won the game. I never understood why the coaching staff under Marchiboda (sic) didn't intervene and force the qb to adjust his play calling? The Giant coaches had the better strategy and our coaches/qb didn't adjust. This was a SB that we should have won.

based on what? does McD have a degree in game management that we don't know about? last i checked he was a rookie coach

Last year under Rex clock management, along with the defense, sucked. It was almost reminiscent of the clock mismanagement under Jauron. Therefore, even barely competent clock management this year will be a noticeable improvement.

Last year under Rex clock management, along with the defense, sucked. It was almost reminiscent of the clock mismanagement under Jauron. Therefore, even barely competent clock management this year will be a noticeable improvement.

i would like to think McD will be better but we have no idea yet. we can't say one way or another. once the bullets start flying and the pressure is on, who knows what will happen

Buffalo's O needs to put more of an emphasis on giving our QB better pass protection in my humble opinion.

No huddle is something you do with an O unit that has spent enough time together to gel at a regular pace before attempting to up the tempo.(IMO)

Tired players are also more vulnerable to injury IMO.

Agree with all these points. Another problem with running a no huddle -- and a major one IMO -- is that it lends itself to shortened TOP which puts your defense on the field longer so that they tire out, too.

Moreover, the NFL isn't the same league in 2017 as it was a quarter of a century ago just as the world isn't the same either.

Agree with all these points. Another problem with running a no huddle -- and a major one IMO -- is that it lends itself to shortened TOP which puts your defense on the field longer so that they tire out, too.

Moreover, the NFL isn't the same league in 2017 as it was a quarter of a century ago just as the world isn't the same either.

Good point,

and when you play QB's like Tom Brady twice a season I think its safe to say keeping him off the football field as much as possible helps.

tired D against the likes of Brady is a recipe for failure...

A no-huddle doesn't have to be a hurry-up. A QB can stand at the line and use it to cut off defensive sub's with the threat of a snap, but he can still run off a lot of clock and keep the O (relatively) fresh.

What bothers me more for the current Bills is that the K-Gun worked so well because everyone knew their assignments and executed them so well. Maybe it was a byproduct of the simplified game plans -- a limited number of plays to start with. Plus quality players executing at so many positions, not just the HOFers. But I'm not ready to expect the current O knows their assignments as well. The more deliberate calls made in a huddle make more sense to me than the shorthand signals called at the line.

The offense they should run, IMO, is one designed around your best players, period. Sammy, Shady, Clay, DiMarco, and Zay Jones. I think those guys stay on the field using the same alignment every snap, and every play called is a play action pass. The defense wouldn't know if it's run or pass because you're doing the same thing every single snap. Taylor fakes the handoff to DiMarco or Shady and either throws it to one of those five guys or runs it himself. If you were a defender and the offense lined up the same guys the same way every time and every play was play action, what would you do?

The offense they should run, IMO, is one designed around your best players, period. Sammy, Shady, Clay, DiMarco, and Zay Jones. I think those guys stay on the field using the same alignment every snap, and every play called is a play action pass. The defense wouldn't know if it's run or pass because you're doing the same thing every single snap. Taylor fakes the handoff to DiMarco or Shady and either throws it to one of those five guys or runs it himself. If you were a defender and the offense lined up the same guys the same way every time and every play was play action, what would you do?

I'd dial up an inside zone blitz.

It's May and here we are speculating about the upcoming season. Here's my take:

We should run a limited huddle offense, similar to the K-Gun. It should be more run oriented, allowing our offensive line the opportunity to smash the opposition, eventually wearing them down. My reasons:

1. We have limited depth on all of our skill positions. This means that we should be running with the same players all 3 downs. This type of offense will keep the opposition from changing defenses, nullifying their advantage in depth.
  2. With the advent of headset radios, plays can be called in from the sideline (except in NE), keeping the quarterback from having to make the calls along with everything he has to do.
  3. We can quickly sub in the 40 yards between the 30 yard marks, especially at the wideout position. This may prompt the opposition to try, which will either pull them out of position or draw a too many men foul.
  4. We have exceptional athletes that can handle the pace.
  5. We were terrible at using the clock the last 2 years. This would sharpen our skills when it came to crunch time in the 4th quarter.

The argument about putting pressure on the defense is there, although I say that the 3 and outs last year did the same.

I think what you'll find them attempt is to build an offense that utilizes the team's current strengths at key positions where the strength of talent is the deepest. I don't think there is a magical system that will work. at the end of the day, what wins games is execution; the ability to do what your plays call for by outsmarting your opponent, or winning the battle at the line of scrimmage, and staying healthy. You can't win games in any league if you can't do that. When you think back to our Supebowl years, the team did those things, and stayed pretty healthy for several years. When they lost a player at a key position, which was very rare, the next guy up was extremely capable.

I think what you'll find them attempt is to build an offense that utilizes the team's current strengths at key positions where the strength of talent is the deepest. I don't think there is a magical system that will work. at the end of the day, what wins games is execution; the ability to do what your plays call for by outsmarting your opponent, or winning the battle at the line of scrimmage, and staying healthy. You can't win games in any league if you can't do that. When you think back to our Supebowl years, the team did those things, and stayed pretty healthy for several years. When they lost a player at a key position, which was very rare, the next guy up was extremely capable.

Great coaches take what they have available and mold it into the best team possible, the best of the best make adjustments every series. (see Belichick, B.)

And there's lots between this and a Rex Ryan dictating that his "system" is going to prevail no matter how the talent doesn't fit it.

So hopefully the staff is able to take real time potential and make the best of it, it's okay if they have a system and bend towards reality.