5-22: Whaley Will Speak on SiriusXM NFL

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never subscribed to the hate. Always seemed like a decent smart hard working guy that just lack public speaking polish.

He made some very nice moves in his tenure (or at least nice moves were made that I believed were his doing).

the best summary of his overall tenure, I thought, was while he tactically assembled rosters that could compete- there was a lack of strategic blueprint...

Agreed - the fantasy-football-GM analogy I recently read was pretty spot on, as we/he went all in on a paper-tiger roster on offense during Rex's first year (except the most important position, obviously). I'm still going to look back on his tenure as a rather odd situation - he was GM in title for four years, and all indications are that he never was able to have his pick of a HC during the two hiring windows. I hate thinking in hypothetical scenarios during the drought, but I can't help but think if he'd have a much better reputation and tenure with us should any of the following have happened: Hue Jackson+Jim Schwartz, actually being able to stick around with McDermott, or not forcing ourselves to draft EJ during the horrid 2013 draft.

I'm glad he took the high road and the subtle jab at Rex was well done... His personality made/makes him easy to root for, and I hope he'll have the opportunity to be a top FO executive in the short term future.

@SiriusXMNFL

Doug Whaley: One of the guys we took a lot of pride in, when we didnt have a 1st round pick was Ronald Darby. #Bills

Doug Whaley: This is a production based business and bottom line is we didn't produce enough wins.

"If I get a shot again to be a GM in this league I would make sure I secured a franchise QB, quickly" Doug Whaley

Doug Whaley on Pegulas: "Great owners, great people & great owners. There's nothing that we asked as personnel dept that they said no to."

@mikerodak

Doug Whaley on draft room: “It wasn’t uncomfortable at all. We worked well together. It was a great working relationship [with Sean McD]."

Doug Whaley: “As a parting gift, we left them with two [first-round picks] next year.”

Doug Whaley on @SiriusXMNFL that the Pegulas are “great people and great owners. … We did not produce. I take full responsibility."

@TyDunne

Hearing how Brandon Beane breaks down the QB position compared to how Doug Whaley did should give all Bills fans hope for better days.

@SiriusXMNFL

Whaley: "It was business as usual in that draft room and we all worked well together and the draft the #Bills had was reflective of that".

@viccarucci

Whaley: "Right now I'm reconnecting w the family. I'm just going to take a deep breath, sit back & relax & listen to things coming my way."

Whaley said that he got a note from Jim Tressel after he was fired by #Bills that said: "Next chapter will be the best chapter."

@mikerodak

Doug Whaley has been “reconnecting with his family” since being fired by the Bills. He says he is considering opportunities outside football

@SiriusXMNF

Whaley on Sean McDermott: He will have them in position to win a lot of football games. The Buffalo #Bills wont be beating themselves.

Lesson learned.

He did try. He thought EJ was a franchise guy.

Who care about EJ? Teams draft QB's high all the time and miss. The point is you can't just sit back and cry about the miss. You need to go do it until you get the guy. Knowing what I know about how Whaley was ready to move heaven and earth to get a QB for Buffalo it does make me a bit sad that just as the light comes on they take away the keys. Here's to hoping the new guys don't think they have forever to improve the position.

Ozzie Newsome missed on Kyle Boller. He went and got Flacco and won a Superbowl. Bills miss on EJ and since then no 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB in the last 4 drafts.

Edited by jeffismagic

I thought it interesting that he really wants to get away from football now that he is no longer our GM

...interesting.....allegedly, he had a standing offer to go to Pitt as AD when Pegula bought the club and chose not to retain him.....he'll land somewhere.......

Who care about EJ? Teams draft QB's high all the time and miss. The point is you can't just sit back and cry about the miss. You need to go do it until you get the guy. Knowing what I know about how Whaley was ready to move heaven and earth to get a QB for Buffalo it does make me a bit sad that just as the light comes on they take away the keys. Here's to hoping the new guys don't think they have forever to improve the position.

Ozzie Newsome missed on Kyle Boller. He went and got Flacco and won a Superbowl. Bills miss on EJ and since then no 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB in the last 4 drafts.

Disagree. He thought EJ had the "it" factor and pushed him right to the end. EJ had to be one of the reasons for his not getting along with the head coaches. Neither coaching staff saw EJ as a starter.

Disagree. He thought EJ had the "it" factor and pushed him right to the end. EJ had to be one of the reasons for his not getting along with the head coaches. Neither coaching staff saw EJ as a starter.

There is no basis for this theory but I have no interest in debating it. EJ's contract ran out and he was not resigned. EJ only played in the last game because of Tyrod's contract situation, it was not a showcase game.

Former Bills GM Doug Whaley for the first time Monday addressed Buffalo's decision to allow RB Mike Gillislee to sign a two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet with New England last month. Whaley told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he believes the Patriots can "overpay" for players like Gillislee because Tom Brady is paid a less than market-value deal.

62f88dc1-18af-492f-953d-c43ab3b5994a.png

There is no basis for this theory but I have no interest in debating it. EJ's contract ran out and he was not resigned. EJ only played in the last game because of Tyrod's contract situation, it was not a showcase game.

@SiriusXMNFL

Doug Whaley: One of the guys we took a lot of pride in, when we didnt have a 1st round pick was Ronald Darby. #Bills

Doug Whaley: This is a production based business and bottom line is we didn't produce enough wins.

"If I get a shot again to be a GM in this league I would make sure I secured a franchise QB, quickly" Doug Whaley

Doug Whaley on Pegulas: "Great owners, great people & great owners. There's nothing that we asked as personnel dept that they said no to."

@mikerodak

Doug Whaley on draft room: “It wasn’t uncomfortable at all. We worked well together. It was a great working relationship [with Sean McD]."

Doug Whaley: “As a parting gift, we left them with two [first-round picks] next year.”

Doug Whaley on @SiriusXMNFL that the Pegulas are “great people and great owners. … We did not produce. I take full responsibility."

@TyDunne

Hearing how Brandon Beane breaks down the QB position compared to how Doug Whaley did should give all Bills fans hope for better days.

@SiriusXMNFL

Whaley: "It was business as usual in that draft room and we all worked well together and the draft the #Bills had was reflective of that".

@viccarucci

Whaley: "Right now I'm reconnecting w the family. I'm just going to take a deep breath, sit back & relax & listen to things coming my way."

Whaley said that he got a note from Jim Tressel after he was fired by #Bills that said: "Next chapter will be the best chapter."

@mikerodak

Doug Whaley has been “reconnecting with his family” since being fired by the Bills. He says he is considering opportunities outside football

@SiriusXMNF

Whaley on Sean McDermott: He will have them in position to win a lot of football games. The Buffalo #Bills wont be beating themselves.

thanks for the post.

classy guy Whaley is.

Saw Doug on my way out the door Saturday night at Curly's in Lackawanna. Doug was at the bar with a couple of other guys and I over heard him say "F@#K THE BILLS!" I wish I could I stayed a while longer to hear what he had to say. I was surprised to see him in the Buffalo area still.

Saw Doug on my way out the door Saturday night at Curly's in Lackawanna. Doug was at the bar with a couple of other guys and I over heard him say "F@#K THE BILLS!" I wish I could I stayed a while longer to hear what he had to say. I was surprised to see him in the Buffalo area still.

Thanks for the intel.

I have always liked Whaley, but I think that he never had a congruous relationship with his head coaches and it just didn't work out. It was time for the team to move in a different direction and I am impressed with the new front office moves so far. Whaley exited with dignity and class, unlike Rex, who was a buffoon from Day 1 (and well before Day 1). I hope he finds success elsewhere. Despite my comments, I still think they should have put a 2nd round tender on Gillislee and not doing so was a mistake that weakens the roster.

Former Bills GM Doug Whaley for the first time Monday addressed Buffalo's decision to allow RB Mike Gillislee to sign a two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet with New England last month. Whaley told SiriusXM NFL Radio that he believes the Patriots can "overpay" for players like Gillislee because Tom Brady is paid a less than market-value deal.

62f88dc1-18af-492f-953d-c43ab3b5994a.png

pretty sure he lifted that straight from this board :lol: Edited by YoloinOhio