Do unfit/overweight trainers at gyms give a poor reflection?

The gym that I go to has a few personal trainers that are overweight. It's also a chain franchise...24 Hour Fitness.

I saw one at lunch today that looks like she doesn't work out at all. She was instructing an older woman on exercises.

The one that really made me think was the Nutrionalist/Weight Loss "expert". That's literally her title by her photo on the wall. She's fat, no obese but definitely overweight. That kinda blows my mind. If I was getting coached by her, I don't know if I could take her seriously.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that really made me think was the Nutrionalist/Weight Loss "expert". That's literally her title by her photo on the wall. She's fat, no obese but definitely overweight. That kinda blows my mind. If I was getting coached by her, I don't know if I could take her seriously.

What if she's a couple of years removed from being 400 lbs. Would you listen more closely to her advice?

What if she's a couple of years removed from being 400 lbs. Would you listen more closely to her advice?

To be truly open minded and fair...I probably should but honestly....I would still see her the way she is now. Kind of an !@#$ thing to say but I'm just being honest. It's just something I couldn't get past.

The gym that I go to has a few personal trainers that are overweight. It's also a chain franchise...24 Hour Fitness.

I saw one at lunch today that looks like she doesn't work out at all. She was instructing an older woman on exercises.

What do you guys think?

I work with athletes regularly, and I tell all of them the same thing: if I haven't done what you're trying to do, or I don't look like you're trying to look, then do not let me mentor you.

I work with athletes regularly, and I tell all of them the same thing: if I haven't done what you're trying to do, or I don't look like you're trying to look, then do not let me mentor you.

exactly

The woman shouldn't be a trainer.

i depends on the place. those chain gyms really hire anyone. i don't think they're hardcore trainers, rather people that took a weekend course, and know how to use the equipment.

That's 80% of trainers regardless of how they look.

If I had a dollar for every piece of horrendous advice I've heard trainers give over the years, I wouldn't need any clients anymore.

If I had a dollar for every piece of horrendous advice I've heard trainers give over the years, I wouldn't need any clients anymore.

This.

For the most part it is a sales position. They are able to prey on people overwhelmed by joining a gym and/or riding out a quick wave of motivation to 'get in shape'. I wouldn't allow myself or anyone I know be 'trained' by anyone in a 'chain' gym for the most part. Basically, a nutritionist would be a better route to go, and just find a physical activity that you find enjoyable. Anyone who wants in-depth information could just browse through the forums on bodybuilding.com.

On a side note, some of what I see people doing and getting seriously injured in this 'crossfit' stuff give me the shivers.

This.

For the most part it is a sales position. They are able to prey on people overwhelmed by joining a gym and/or riding out a quick wave of motivation to 'get in shape'. I wouldn't allow myself or anyone I know be 'trained' by anyone in a 'chain' gym for the most part. Basically, a nutritionist would be a better route to go, and just find a physical activity that you find enjoyable. Anyone who wants in-depth information could just browse through the forums on bodybuilding.com.

On a side note, some of what I see people doing and getting seriously injured in this 'crossfit' stuff give me the shivers.

Crossfit....it's huge here in Atlanta. I've got a friend who competes at a high level and has been on ESPN. Gyms here are $200 a month...no way I'm paying that.

I've seen some of those videos of people getting seriously hurt doing their workouts.

And then there's some of the parents who are trying to show their kids stuff. I've seen this one father a few times getting his kid to use a leg press machine. Every single rep, the kid locks his knees as the father watches. Maybe at that age, they can get away with it, but it makes me cringe each time.

If a Rosie O'Donnell look a like was your Nutritionist....would you take her seriously?

google the health mimister of belgium.

this doesn't surprise me at all.

Crossfit....it's huge here in Atlanta. I've got a friend who competes at a high level and has been on ESPN. Gyms here are $200 a month...no way I'm paying that.

I've seen some of those videos of people getting seriously hurt doing their workouts.

i know an orthopedic surgeon who kidding claims, (i think he's kinda serious) that crossfit is going to allow him to retire early. young people with massive joint problems.

And then there's some of the parents who are trying to show their kids stuff. I've seen this one father a few times getting his kid to use a leg press machine. Every single rep, the kid locks his knees as the father watches. Maybe at that age, they can get away with it, but it makes me cringe each time.

The biggest offender that I've noticed is that most trainers have one way to teach, and that they believe that their one way is the only way that works. They do this with exercises (if you don't do XX, you aren't going to get results), diet (you need to eat small meals every 2-3 hours or else the world will end), recovery methods, etc. etc.

A healthy lifestyle isn't complicated. I have my own system that I believe is the simplest, most efficient, and furthest-reaching, but I'm not going to be so rigid as to try to make it fit for everyone. You need to know when to bend things to fit your client, and which things aren't negotiable.

Most trainers I've seen are terrible at it.

Do football coaches look like football players? Basketball coaches? Why does a trainer need the physique of a bodybuilder?

the "comedian" Kevin James (king of queens, Paul Blart Mall Cop, etc.) Was a trainer before acting.

Would you not go to an eye doctor who wears glasses? A dentist who doesn't have perfect teeth?

How does the saying go, "those who can do, do, those who cant, teach"?

Personally, I wouldn't judge the person by their looks, they may look "fat/overweight" but may actually be in great shape, thin doesn't = healthy like many believe. Just because a person appears to be overweight, doesn't mean they don't know nutrition