Do you hate.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to Trebek, the producers/judges of Jeopardy are pronunciation Nazis.

Well, then, they should have known that Chile is slang for Child, and not a reference to the South American country.

There's a difference between faking an accent and correct pronunciation.

I hate how every Italian guy from Rochester has to go full retard when talking about food. Neutral American accent until its time to talk about "my mom, she makes the best mannnigottt-uh. And her brashiol with the gravy and fresh mooooOOOZZZZarelllllll and the gabigoool pasta fazoool, fuhhhgeddaboutit."

Its unbearable.

You should pronounce the proper name the way the person says it; accent and all. It's not meant for personal interpretation.

For example.

Bob Villa. -in the southwest his name is commonly pronounced "vee-ya", not "ViL-La" -but since he says it differently, you go with his version.

What I do hate is when teachers asked what your name was in Spanish. This happened several times and I refused to go along with it. My name stays the same in every language!

John is not Juan. George is not Jorge. Mary is not the same as Maria.

The WORST thing about Bob Villa is he was able to masquerade as a knowledgeable craftsman all those years on This Old House and got away with it. That guy couldn't frame a door without Norm telling how to do it.

Okay, idiots.

His name is Bob Vila. With one L.

So it wouldn't be Americanized to Villa (short I sound, L sound for the two Ls)

And it wouldn't be pronounced Vee-Ya if it was being said with a "Spanish accent."

It's pronounced Vee-la. Because that's how it's spelled.

Okay, idiots.

And it wouldn't be pronounced Vee-Ya if it was being said with a "Spanish accent."

Is Gugny pronounced the same as it looks....."Dick-head"?

:oops:

That was great! Loved that one.

The wife and I still quote that.

And speaking of the wife she still give me **** because of the way we pronounce towns in WNY. Bergen, sure she's of German descent but geez girl. Java, ok she's got us there. "How do you pronounce Java when you're referring to coffee?"

Okay, idiots.

I thought you name was Levin La-vin or is it La-veen

Pee Buh Dee = Peabody Mass.

Bill Ricca = Billerica Mass

I won't even get into Wooster Worcester

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

There's a difference between faking an accent and correct pronunciation.

I hate how every Italian guy from Rochester has to go full retard when talking about food. Neutral American accent until its time to talk about "my mom, she makes the best mannnigottt-uh. And her brashiol with the gravy and fresh mooooOOOZZZZarelllllll and the gabigoool pasta fazoool, fuhhhgeddaboutit."

Its unbearable.

I have an "Italian" friend who calls prosciutto pro-SHOOT! What the !@#$ is pro-SHOOT??? I have another foodie friend who calls any cured meats salumi. Oh shut the !@#$ up!

Edited by Chef Jim

Is Gugny pronounced the same as it looks....."Dick-head"?

:oops:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I have an "Italian" friend who calls prosciutto as pro-SHOOT! What the !@#$ is pro-SHOOT??? I have another foodie friend who calls any cured meats salumi. Oh shut the !@#$ up!

One of my Italian friends says, "mooz-a-DELL" for mozzarella and "Ri-GUHT" for ricotta. Pisses me off every time.

I have an "Italian" friend who calls prosciutto as pro-SHOOT! What the !@#$ is pro-SHOOT??? I have another foodie friend who calls any cured meats salumi. Oh shut the !@#$ up!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

One of my Italian friends says, "mooz-a-DELL" for mozzarella and "Ri-GUHT" for ricotta. Pisses me off every time.

EXACTLY the kind of crap I'm talking about.

I cringed just imagining it. Nails on a chalkboard.

I will confess to taking care to differentiate the pronunciation of "Columbia" and "Colombia" in everyday conversation. Not that it comes up in everyday conversation all that much (and I don't try to introduce it into everyday conversation like Murray Gell-Mann was accused of doing.)

Have I mentioned I don't get invited to parties very often?

I'm in your neck of the woods now. I'll invite you to my next office party. I have a few people who could benefit from your diagnosis.

I cringed just imagining it. Nails on a chalkboard.

I'm in your neck of the woods now. I'll invite you to my next office party. I have a few people who could benefit from your diagnosis.

Are your office parties really so dull that they need to be livened up by vague references to obscure 20th century particle physicists?