Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Brandon - keep him or fire him?

• Keep him
    • Fire him

Wow. I didn't like Brandon much before I read this, and l like him even less now.

Here's the deal though. We have one person here saying he has inside sources this stuff about Brandon. We have oldtime AFL on the board with his sources saying this stuff isn't happening. And we have Tim Graham writing a recent article saying those who keep ragging on Brandon have misplaced anger and he really isn't involved on the football side. So whais the truth?

The truth is this is simply confirmation bias. Any little leak or innuendo or story that conforms your previously held opinion, regardless of what that mightbe, is immediately regarded as truthful and vice versa. Above mayday says the fans opinion should carry weight on whether Brandon is fired, even if their feelings are warrented or not. That to me makes no sense.

All I care about is what this team looks like going forward. Going forward it is clear that McDermott will put his stamp on the team, and that Brandon will not have influence on that. He will be doing his job as Presidnt of PSA and their 4 teams which, again, is a heckuva lot more than marketing. It's what he's good at and what he should be doing. And if he tries to interfere with actual football decisions then Terry can make an appropriate call and/or McDermott can put him in a choke hold.

Bottom line is people tend to wallow in the past, and feel getting rid of guys just because they have been around for the bad stetch will be a miracle cure.

I disagree on the first part. Fans' perception, ultimately can have an effect on the job performance.

With the Bills fans, there is no breaking point. Tickets are cheap, it is only 8 dates or less per year, and the game, often can be secondary to the peripheral activities people participate in.

Sabres fans though, are close to the breaking point, overall. Perception of the team and direction are going to start to be a factor soon, and many Sabres fans are discouraged that the Bills' leader has been put in charge of the Sabres too. Paired with perpetual losing, and the feeling of dysfunction that plagues the Bills, Sabres fans are going to stop buying tickets. If the waiting list isn't tapped this season, it will only take one more season. Tickets are quite expensive, and 41 games is a big commitment, especially with a weak secondary 'market'. Games are dull and over the years, the Sabres have gotten lazy on that and many other aspects. The last straw for me was the team giving out $0.10 "One Buffalo" sunglasses for fan "appreciation" day. It was literally 'insulting' and people around me felt the same way and there was buzz about it (and people were naming Russ Brandon as the culprit). I am waiting for the invoice this Spring. If there is a ticket increase, my 18 year account will be gone. I liked Ted Black. I met with him in a really cool round table he organized with different STH every home game. He introduced us to his family, and Elliott Friedman was there and was really impressed with the Sabres' outreach (and wrote about it). I emailed concerns back and forth which he graciously humored me. He took suggestions and I saw tangible improvements around the arena. He cried when the Sabres let him go. I thought he was amazing from a fans' standpoint. With Russ Brandon, I have a perception of my 'no frills' benefits of being a Bills STH.

Where do you get the idea Brandon runs the Sabres? On a daily basis, I presume you mean. That's simply not valid from anything I have ever read about the team.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they allow McD to hire Beane or another guy of his choice they will be unified against any outside voices, it's the best case scenario. That should eliminate some of the Pegula's dealings and also limit any remaining influence that Russ may or may not have.

Allowing McD to pick his guy is the most important part of this entire process! Don't screw it up!

If they allow McD to hire Beane or another guy of his choice they will be unified against any outside voices, it's the best case scenario. That should eliminate some of the Pegula's dealings and also limit any remaining influence that Russ may or may not have.

Allowing McD to pick his guy is the most important part of this entire process! Don't screw it up!

I think people need to keep in mind, that the relationship between Beane & McD in Carolina(DC & AGM), is nothing like the working relationship they will have in Buffalo if hired(GM & HC). You'd be surprised how quickly egos can come into play, and past friendships get flushed down the drain.

Not saying this is going to happen, but always a possibility.

I think people need to keep in mind, that the relationship between Beane & McD in Carolina(DC & AGM), is nothing like the working relationship they will have in Buffalo if hired(GM & HC). You'd be surprised how quickly egos can come into play, and past friendships get flushed down the drain.

Not saying this is going to happen, but always a possibility.

Dang, accidentally deleted my last post. Anything could happen, that's correct. I do think it is best that they are allowed to sink/swim together.

Nightmare scenario would be Kim/Terry finding a GM who steals their hearts and they push him on McD. McD has had the reigns for to long now, let him run with it. Hope for the best.

Dang, accidentally deleted my last post. Anything could happen, that's correct. I do think it is best that they are allowed to sink/swim together.

Nightmare scenario would be Kim/Terry finding a GM who steals their hearts and they push him on McD. McD has had the reigns for to long now, let him run with it. Hope for the best.

I agree,

don't rock the boat...

The whole Russ Brandon- football decisions "mystery" is hilarious, as is the length the team and its spokespeople go to debunk any notion that Russ Brandon has ever had anything to do with football decisions. Their sensitivity to the issue is bizarre and hilarious at the same time.

We hear how it's all non-sense. Russ Brandon never made a single football decision. He's a business guy.

Then, a player mentions being called by Russ Brandon on draft day or as an UDFA, and the usual suspects come on here and tell us that we can believe our eyes and ears or we can believe the team's PR dept.

The we hear how he was the one pushing for Marrone. And Rex Ryan.

But nothing to see here! Don't believe it!

It's hilarious to me.

I almost wonder if Russ Brandon himself plants these stories just to get fans talking about the team and focusing on something other than the win/loss record. Sort of like when Vince McMahon became the "evil boss" character in WWE.

I'll be willing to bet there's secretaries that have been there as well. Can them too?

Such an idiotic statement...there is really no point in discussing this further when you have people who equate the positions that Russ has held (GM, President) with that of a secretary.

Such an idiotic statement...there is really no point in discussing this further when you have people who equate the positions that Russ has held (GM, President) with that of a secretary.

Ok. I'll accept that. Will you however accept that people here continually mischaracterized what Mr. Brandon's job is?

Ok. I'll accept that. Will you however accept that people here continually mischaracterized what Mr. Brandon's job is?

Yes, I have no problem admitting that fans draw their own conclusions as to the level of influence Russ has on football decisions based on their bias for or against the man. I think this issue could have been put to bed by Terry Pegula earlier this year when he was questioned about the role Brandon has on the team. Instead of easing the minds of questioning fans (myself included) who feel Russ has shown an ineptness to make sound football decisions and stating that Russ has no influence, Pegula decided to be ambiguous with his statements and let it be known that Russ is still a sounding board.

I think the only hope for both camps (pro & anti Brandon) is that McD and Beane are now in control and free to do as they see fit.

Yes, I have no problem admitting that fans draw their own conclusions as to the level of influence Russ has on football decisions based on their bias for or against the man. I think this issue could have been put to bed by Terry Pegula earlier this year when he was questioned about the role Brandon has on the team. Instead of easing the minds of questioning fans (myself included) who feel Russ has shown an ineptness to make sound football decisions and stating that Russ has no influence, Pegula decided to be ambiguous with his statements and let it be known that Russ is still a sounding board.

I think the only hope for both camps (pro & anti Brandon) is that McD and Beane are now in control and free to do as they see fit.

Why would you suspect any different?

Furthermore, for those with concerns, what were Whaley and Rex Ryan unable to do because of Brandon's influence?

Quotes I have seen and/or heard from Terry were that Brandon has no responsibility for football operations.

Quotes I have seen and/or heard from Terry were that Brandon has no responsibility for football operations.

I agree, no responsibility...but Terry also made it clear that Russ will be asked for his opinion on football operation decisions, which is asinine to myself and a lot of other Bills fans that feel somebody with Russ' track record should never again be asked to provide input in that forum.

Why would you suspect any different?

Furthermore, for those with concerns, what were Whaley and Rex Ryan unable to do because of Brandon's influence?

Under Pegula's leadership it has been apparent that he likes to employ a group consensus philosophy, I hope that is no longer the case. Let McD and Beane be the only 'group'...

As to your other question, it is impossible to say for sure what Russ' influence has resulted in during Pegula's ownership and the Marrone years, the team isn't forthcoming in that respect. All we have is speculation....speculation that Whaley and Rex were free to do as they please and speculation that Russ has influenced trades, Rex's hiring, Whaley's firing, etc.

I agree, no responsibility...but Terry also made it clear that Russ will be asked for his opinion on football operation decisions, which is asinine to myself and a lot of other Bills fans that feel somebody with Russ' track record should never again be asked to provide input in that forum.

Under Pegula's leadership it has been apparent that he likes to employ a group consensus philosophy, I hope that is no longer the case. Let McD and Beane be the only 'group'...

As to your other question, it is impossible to say for sure what Russ' influence has resulted in during Pegula's ownership and the Marrone years, the team isn't forthcoming in that respect. All we have is speculation....speculation that Whaley and Rex were free to do as they please and speculation that Russ has influenced trades, Rex's hiring, Whaley's firing, etc.

Presidents of organizations may get asked for input but that doesn't mean they make the final decision. It seems very clear McD and Beane will run the Bills.

Presidents of organizations may get asked for input but that doesn't mean they make the final decision. It seems very clear McD and Beane will run the Bills.

Which leads us back to why 2/3 of respondents want Russ fired...the Bills and Sabres have a president whose input is worthless as it relates to on field/ice issues.

Who was the one who made McDermott's name "jump out" for the Pegulas? Was it the same person that told them to get Rex Ryan?

Let the record also show that, as Pegula was careful to explain Sunday, Whaley "wasn’t the only person involved in hiring the new head coach. It was Kim and I and a lot of input from other places."

One of those places was the NFL's Personnel Development Committee, which includes former Bills GM and Hall-of-Famer Bill Polian. Polian, fellow Hall-of-Famers Ron Wolf, Tony Dungy, John Madden and other committee members submitted a list of candidates that was distributed to all of the owners of teams searching for a new coach. McDermott's name jumped out at the Pegulas and they promptly made him the first of four candidates they would interview.

It was notable that, the day before the "formal" interview that would include Whaley and former director of player personnel Jim Monos, the Pegulas invited McDermott to join them for dinner on their yacht in Boca Raton, Fla.

He had the Pegulas at "hello."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/01/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-new-gm-wont-change-structure/

Edited by jeffismagic

Which leads us back to why 2/3 of respondents want Russ fired...the Bills and Sabres have a president whose input is worthless as it relates to on field/ice issues.

You do not understand his job. As President of PSE and 4 teams his job is vastly more complex than what you want to admit. I am not sure what opinions he may be asked for but you cannot on the one hand say he should not be able articipating in football decisions then say he should be fired because his opinions on football issues are worthless.

Yours is just more irrational ranting about the guy.