Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you still lose a year of leverage. They have no good players to pay, the Sammy trade sucked but this is a stupid decision. Just tag him and hope for the best.

Otherwise they are going to be over paying FA's with that same money.

No let him go to Carolina please....... He is not a micky d character type.....He has too much talent for him

This is football....players get hurt...Kyle Williams has been injured last couple of years....still paying him. This is not a smart move.

Incorrect. Sammy just can't stay healthy. 10 issues in his first 3 years? That is a huge red flag. Let him earn the new deal this year by staying on the field.

The Bills are finally making cold hearted business decisions. The Whaley Era is officially over. No more crazy $100M contracts for a DT.

This is the correct option. Sammy is a great talent and he'll prove that in this his contract year IMO. So they either work out an extension or make him a qualifying offer of $3.5 million for 2018. Then sit back and see what the market offers for him. Match whatever offer he gets at market value or decline and get another #1 Draft Pick as compensation.

Only risk is the dreaded "Poison Pill".

it isn't established yet for 2018. I think they are just going on what the tag was in 2017 for WR.

Ah, there you go...

Regardless, even if it's $4 or $6MM more, it'll be an option (if they can't sign him long term, which is still on the table - AFTER he proves he's healthy in the season).

This is by far the dumbest move made in a long time. Dumb. Dumb. Just dumb. :doh:

No it's not. I'm a big Sammy fan but it's a very tough call. He's injured still so it's good for both parties. If he can't recover the Bills don't overinvest and if he does they can tag him and/or offer him a big long term deal before he hits free agency. For Sammy he can prove he's healthy enough for the big deal.

He doesn't have to sign it. Although I expect him the have a great year, be franchised, and the team try to sign him to a huge extension. It's just a matter of whether he wants to stay in Buffalo after this. I'm hoping he does. Some team will pay through the roof for him.

Only after giving us draft picks.

I would try to trade him now to someone like Denver for a 1st if I could get it. I would say KC but we already go their 1st. What about their 2019 1st?

Better for everyone to get a fresh start.

Or trade him for 2 mediocre WRs who can stay healthy.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Incorrect. Sammy just can't stay healthy. 10 issues in his first 3 years? That is a huge red flag. Let him earn the new deal this year by staying on the field.

What did I type that was incorrect?

Smh. Sammy going to mail it in this year.

He has to be on the field to mail it in. And I bet he won't. If he mails it in no one is going to pay an oft injured, non performing WR. He will need to bust his ass to get the big money this year.

About 4 million.

So they're risking paying $4MM more for next year (if Sammy is healthy, $0 if he's not and they move on) vs. $13MM next year (if Sammy is healthy OR if he's hurt).

Bills decide to pass on Watkins' option year Unbelievable. This is perhaps the only thing that could have made the Bills' trade up in the 2014 draft even more disastrous. The Bills are clearly petrified of Watkins suffering another injury and guaranteeing himself a massive payday for 2018 options years are guaranteed for injury only but they've backed themselves into a corner if Watkins has a monster 2017, something certainly not outside the realm of possibility for a wideout who has yet to turn 24. The franchise tag costs more than the option. In a league placing an ever-increasing premium on high-end receiving talent, the Bills are playing fire with theirs. The Bills maybe shouldn't be letting someone who was a defensive coordinator just five months ago run their front office.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/859483283243053061

From rotoworld

@salsports

Sean McDermott has said numerous times earn the right to win. Looks like he's challenging Watkins to prove he can stay healthy and produce

...if that happens, Bills can still place franchise tag on Watkins (albeit at a higher cost) or workout extension. We'll see how 2017 goes

No let him go to Carolina please....... He is not a micky d character type.....He has too much talent for him

To the contrary. He's played through several injuries and has said the team needs more discipline and accountability. He is exactly what McD wants in a player.

look at it from an intelligent human's side. sammy's time is coming up to get a big pay day if he can show he can play to the extent we think he can, and stay healthy. mailing it in would do nothing but hurt his future. it's just a dumb thought.

Not really, NFL knows his talent. He will a big contract no matter what.