Future GM option - Eliot Wolf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I buy that. I think McDermott had a little to do with the firing but ultimately Whaley was never in line with the coaches from Marrone to Ryan to McDermott and it finally caught up with him.

McDermott just ran the draft. Clearly, as even the team has supported that.

You really think they would only let him do that the first year, and then it defaults to the GM? Doubtful in my mind. McD is the man at OBD, and any GM will be "on the same page", most likely with McD's pre-approval.

Not happening. McDermott wants a submissive GM. Expect someone he knows well.

I think submissive is a strong word, that likely doesn't match what Pegula is thinking.

Pegula wants collaboration. Submission is not collaboration, and it doesn't bring value commensurate to what Pegs would pay the guy.

Because he wants to be a GM. He has been sought after for the Colts and 49ers job but they ultimately went with someone else. Buffalo is a similar town imo to Green Bay, cold small market and rabid fanbase. I think if we offered the job to Wolf he would see the symmetry.

I think Pegula has been open to the structure based on the candidates. Pegula is a business man and a successful one at that. He will do his best to get the right man. I also don't think it will be the KC guy or Panthers guy simply because they know how to work with McDerm but maybe those two would take a job like this because they know he is the head coach.

....McDermott would have to get the necessary GM/HC symmetry in order to make it work...sure he has a significant say in who he will be coaching as THE guy responsible for "between the white stripes".....but no GM would agree to be his lackey.....too early to tell, but look at the "on the surface" symmetry between the two greenhorns, Lynch & Shanahan in Ninerville.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Really? You don't think that they would have cleared out all of football ops without him agreeing? He is the guy with the power there. That's not changing anytime soon. That's why they aren't getting some big name GM. The best case scenario is a young guy, with a good working relationship with McDermott and a similar vision. I'm not saying that it is a problem but you aren't getting a Coughlin type of guy in here now. The power will be coming from the HC's office in Buffalo.

No I honestly believe the complete football ops wipeout is a Pegula reset. If it weren't I believe McDerm would wait for the new GM especially if it was someone he trusted. I seriously doubt McDerm has been given that much power in 3 months. He might have made picks for the draft but honestly who else was going to do it?

Wolfe and DeCosta, as much as I like them, are probably not realistic options. Both seem to have hand-shake deals in place to replace the current, getting-up-there-in-age GMs of their respective teams.

Edited by Logic

No I honestly believe the complete football ops wipeout is a Pegula reset. If it weren't I believe McDerm would wait for the new GM especially if it was someone he trusted. I seriously doubt McDerm has been given that much power in 3 months. He might have made picks for the draft but honestly who else was going to do it?

He has that power already. It's been pretty well documented. That's the point. They think so highly of him that they are clearing everyone else out and he will be VERY involved in the GM hire. It will be his guy and that guy isn't coming here to be more powerful than him. McDermott has the power now and he isn't conceding it. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I can imagine a certain segment on this board if he didn't work out...

"LEAVE IT TO DA BILLZ TO HIRE A GUY WITH A DEGREE IN CREATIVE WRITING TO RUN A FOOTBALL TEAM"

The coach who took the Bills to four consecutive Super Bowls has a degree in English Literature.

Wolfe and DeCosta, as much as I like them, are probably not realistic options. Both seem to have hand-shake deals in place to replace the current, getting-up-there-in-age GMs of their respective teams.

Except Wolf interviewed for two jobs just a few months ago....

He has that power already. It's been pretty well documented. That's the point. They think so highly of him that they are clearing everyone else out and he will be VERY involved in the GM hire. It will be his guy and that guy isn't coming here to be more powerful than him. McDermott has the power now and he isn't conceding it.

Where is the documentation? It just seems to be conjecture of what is going on. If he truly had the power why wouldn't he be in charge of the personnel department. He isn't as powerful as you think.

Except Wolf interviewed for two jobs just a few months ago....

Where is the documentation? It just seems to be conjecture of what is going on. If he truly had the power why wouldn't he be in charge of the personnel department. He isn't as powerful as you think.

He is in charge of it and has been. He made the draft decisions. That isn't going backwards. Someone else will be in title and work with him closely but the situation will be more similar to the Patriots than the Jags. Someone with ties to him will be hired to run the personnel department and McDermott isn't going to bring someone in that takes away from what he already has. They will work together for sure but at the end of the day he will be the most powerful guy in football ops.

He is in charge of it and has been. He made the draft decisions. That isn't going backwards. Someone else will be in title and work with him closely but the situation will be more similar to the Patriots than the Jags. Someone with ties to him will be hired to run the personnel department and McDermott isn't going to bring someone in that takes away from what he already has. They will work together for sure but at the end of the day he will be the most powerful guy in football ops.

Again based on what?

Again based on what?

Every single action that's happened since he got here? He was handed the draft, they relieved all of football ops. What are you seeing that indicates he won't? Clearly, Pegula trusts him and his vision. No guy in sports has ever brought someone in to sacrifice their own power. If you are reading anything out there the consensus is that it is his show. He's not going to say, "you know what I don't want to decide the roster anymore." Guys naturally trust themselves to sink or swim with their decisions. Guys don't often get the luxury to do that but he has it already. The next guy will have a similar vision as McDermott, I will bet anything on that. I will be shocked too if the guy doesn't have previous ties to him. He is the most powerful and most qualified football mind in the building at the moment. Who else at OBD is qualified to hire the guy?

Every single action that's happened since he got here? He was handed the draft, they relieved all of football ops. What are you seeing that indicates he won't? Clearly, Pegula trusts him and his vision. No guy in sports has ever brought someone in to sacrifice their own power. If you are reading anything out there the consensus is that it is his show. He's not going to say, "you know what I don't want to decide the roster anymore." Guys naturally trust themselves to sink or swim with their decisions. Guys don't often get the luxury to do that but he has it already. The next guy will have a similar vision as McDermott, I will bet anything on that. I will be shocked too if the guy doesn't have previous ties to him. He is the most powerful and most qualified football mind in the building at the moment. Who else at OBD is qualified to hire the guy?

Interestingly, if McD gets to decide the roster, the Panthers might be able to deny Beane.

This is still conjecture. You don't know if he was running the draft. You are assuming based on how you see the facts. You don't know what is going on in OBD or what Pegula's thinking is. You don't know why Whaley was fired. All you can say is what the media has been feeding you and all that is conjecture. Give facts and not opinions. I am not ruling out Beane as GM but I know there is more to it than McDermott being the strong voice in the building. No business man, especially one as successful as Pegula gives complete control to someone he has been employing for 3 months. There are things happening that we don't know. Most on here were convinced Anthony Lynn would be the next coach based on media and how did that turn out?

Interestingly, if McD gets to decide the roster, the Panthers might be able to deny Beane.

That provision of the NFL rules doesn't mesh well with the Pegulas' reluctance to define any roles in the front office.

This is still conjecture. You don't know if he was running the draft. You are assuming based on how you see the facts. You don't know what is going on in OBD or what Pegula's thinking is. You don't know why Whaley was fired. All you can say is what the media has been feeding you and all that is conjecture. Give facts and not opinions. I am not ruling out Beane as GM but I know there is more to it than McDermott being the strong voice in the building. No business man, especially one as successful as Pegula gives complete control to someone he has been employing for 3 months. There are things happening that we don't know. Most on here were convinced Anthony Lynn would be the next coach based on media and how did that turn out?

These aren't complex dots to connect. I know a little bit about how things operate over there and within that organization. All signs point to that being the case. What are you seeing that says otherwise? You keensaying "conjecture" but you are doing the same thing but without evidence to dispute the perception. The guy CLEARLY ran the draft. That means he's already done something most head coaches never do. His power isn't going to be diminished from there. He won't let it happen.