RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod not being very good, better than him doesn't automatically mean franchise quarterback.

Posts like this are just stupidly antagonistic and ultimately the reason all these Taylor arguments drag on.

If Peterman is better than Taylor, who is good in the sense that, unlike QBs we've had in a very long time, he's an NFL starting QB, at worst.

A QB who is "better than Taylor" would be likely at least a top 15 NFL QB since Taylor's, at worst, somewhere around 20.

Consistently top 15 QBs are franchise QBs in my book. I don't know what your definition is.

Posts like this are just stupidly antagonistic and ultimately the reason all these Taylor arguments drag on.

If Peterman is better than Taylor, who is good in the sense that, unlike QBs we've had in a very long time, he's an NFL starting QB, at worst.

A QB who is "better than Taylor" would be likely at least a top 15 NFL QB since Taylor's, at worst, somewhere around 20.

Consistently top 15 QBs are franchise QBs in my book. I don't know what your definition is.

The ultimatum was to sign at a reduced rate or be shown the door...

How many franchise QBs are being put in that type of situation?

Tyrod is not a franchise QB, not yet at least. I hold out hope things will change, but for a guy going on his seventh year in the league, I sincerely doubt we will get much better than what we have seen out of TT.

Tyrod is not a franchise QB, not yet at least. I hold out hope things will change, but for a guy going on his seventh year in the league, I sincerely doubt we will get much better than what we have seen out of TT.

With all due respect BillsFan17,

New Bills HC McD just came from a team that utilized Cam Newtons unique skill set in both the run and passing game and may believe he can accomplish similiar results with Tyrod Taylor.

Myself personally, this was never a take less or your gone scenario, it was both sides coming together and doing whats best for the team.

In my humble opinion...

With all due respect BillsFan17,

New Bills HC McD just came from a team that utilized Cam Newtons unique skill set in both the run and passing game and may believe he can accomplish similiar results with Tyrod Taylor.

Myself personally, this was never a take less or your gone scenario, it was both sides coming together and doing whats best for the team.

In my humble opinion...

Taylor running the ball is a recipe for the IR. Move him around? Sure. Bootlegs? Sure. Option with him? No thank you.

....processing the entire field is the mental part of the game and I'm not sure if it is something trainable....six years at this level certainly is enough to realize the speed of the game by now....I'd bet many slowed or gave up on their routes knowing they were not going to see the ball....."run or done" will not cut it..............

I don't really know how to respond to this because it really doesn't have anything to do with what I posted...

I don't really know how to respond to this because it really doesn't have anything to do with what I posted...

Hahaha, you called tyrod a franchise QB, my response literally was in exact response to that... had everything to do with what you posted.

In regards to the other posters with reading comprehension...

I could see Dennison trying to utilize Tyrod in the way Cam was, problem is Cam is a lot bigger.

Plus, Cam has been subjected to some brutal hits because of his style and if the subject Tyrod to that, I don't envision him lasting long.

Furthermore, it's easy to say you wanna utilize player x the same way you used player y, but when player y is a former MVP you know their skill set is hard to duplicate.

Not saying it can't be done, but again, we have a guy going on his seventh season.

This past draft class, the biggest knock was they wouldn't be NFL ready for a year if not two... imagine being told they would still be question marks in their seventh year?

Taylor running the ball is a recipe for the IR. Move him around? Sure. Bootlegs? Sure. Option with him? No thank you.

I'm kind of torn on the option myself because I don't want Taylor suffering a career ending injury.

On the other hand its where T Mobile becomes the most dangerous.

and why we have Peterman... :flirt:

Edited by Figster

....AVP was a Pitt guy who surprisingly broke all of Marino's records and served as a decent backup in Bflo......maybe lightning strikes twice.................

AVP broke Marino's records? How did I not know that? That just sounds so.......odd.

....AVP was a Pitt guy who surprisingly broke all of Marino's records and served as a decent backup in Bflo......maybe lightning strikes twice.................

Crazy when you look at the players who have broken legends records.

I was really high on Barnett this year coming out as he has broken Reggie Whites records.

Hahaha, you called tyrod a franchise QB, my response literally was in exact response to that... had everything to do with what you posted.

In regards to the other posters with reading comprehension...

Read it again.

Let's see... Taylor's around 20. I said consistently a QB BETTER THAN TAYLOR would be CONSISTENTLY top 15.

20 does not equal 15, therefore, I did not say Taylor was a franchise QB.

Unreal... and yes, I still point to reading comprehension issues.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

....processing the entire field is the mental part of the game and I'm not sure if it is something trainable....six years at this level certainly is enough to realize the speed of the game by now....I'd bet many slowed or gave up on their routes knowing they were not going to see the ball....."run or done" will not cut it..............

why do folks say "six years or seven years"?

he has only been on the field two therefore he is technically in his "third year"...

sorry, I don't buy standing on the sidelines as any significant experience as a starting QB.

he has only been on the field two therefore he is technically in his "third year"...

sorry, I don't buy standing on the sidelines as any significant experience as a starting QB.

....understand what your are saying bud....big difference between being a four year understudy versus two years of "live ammo"......BUT....those four years as an understudy certainly count for something as far as realizing the speed of the game at this level versus collegiate ball......so he has had six years to experience the speed at this level....how does a guy like Aaron Rodgers sit for six years as an understudy and step in as a starter reasonably acclimated to the speed?....in my view, it's called "gray matter".....either you have IT or you do not...retraining the brain to process the field quicker is not something I see as doable.....sure would hope TT proves me wrong.......inability to process the field as well as ZERO confidence led to EJ's downfall......as it has with tons of others.....

People say 7 seven years because he's entering his 7th season in the NFL. You can't just ignore his first 4 years in the league when he was being coached up and developed.

Crazy how people use this twisted logic. I guess it's easier to believe a player will improve after 2 years rather than 6.

People say 7 seven years because he's entering his 7th season in the NFL. You can't just ignore his first 4 years in the league when he was being coached up and developed.

Crazy how people use this twisted logic. I guess it's easier to believe a player will improve after 2 years rather than 6.

As usual both sides have a point. Yes Tyrod was able to develop some skills in his first few years. He presumably worked on his mechanics and arm strength, became more accurate than he was in college, learned about NFL playbooks. But no way did he ever get a taste of real NFL game speed. Playing against the scout defense in practice doesn't prepare you for that at all. I don't think skills like pocket presence, anticipatory throwing, and quick decision making can be simulated all that well in practice. 2 years of real on-field experience may help him moving into his 3rd. Or not. But don't pretend like you know he's hit his ceiling. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He's not a real 3rd year starter but he's not a real 7 year veteran either. After this year there won't be any more excuses. 3 years of on-field experience is enough time to show what you got.