Browns release TE Gary Barnidge

.@AdamSchefter says the Browns tried to deal for Garoppolo last night. @MaryKayCabot expects them to try again today

Mary Kay is ridiculous. How do they have "more ammo"? One would assume they were including #12, if not #33 in their offer last night. They turned #12 into #25, which they used, and got a '18 pick expected to be much lower than #12. They don't have #33 anymore either. They don't have more ammo today than they had yesterday.

Originally drafted by Carolina, was with the Panthers while McDermott was there.

Although he is 31.

i think we draft one later too. Say you take Jake Butt in the 3rd and let him heal up. Use Barnidge until then, much better depth than we've had.

Wonder why they make this move now? It's not like they're up against the cap. Perhaps they didn't like what he brought to the locker room?

2 yrs ago the guy was very productive. Seems odd to draft a kid, than put the added pressure of releasing the previous starter, especially when they really didn't need to.

Mary Kay is ridiculous. How do they have "more ammo"? One would assume they were including #12, if not #33 in their offer last night. They turned #12 into #25, which they used, and got a '18 pick expected to be much lower than #12. They don't have #33 anymore either. They don't have more ammo today than they had yesterday.

More ammo? No. Equal ammo? Maybe. They have 2 firsts again next year which I assume they'll try and trade straight up for Jimmy G. Rumor has it the Pats* wanted both of them this year but they were unwilling to give up such high picks, I have a feeling theyd be more willing to take a shot at trading their own pick next year with someone like JG at the helm instead of the junk theyve had recently.

He was very productive 2 years ago - had over 1000 yards. He was like a poor man's Olsen in their offense (no WRs and just threw it to him all day)

Correct.. Was THE target. I'd rather not waste the resources on him. Vet min maybe. His "breakout" is very late into his career. I wouldn't wanna get burned like the Ravens when they went and got Watson last year, injured all season. Pitta had a renaissance out of necessity because of that injury.

The Browns aren't aware that you can field more than one TE

Nah, they are just starting to accumulate real talent, so they want to make sure they don't have any depth or any vets to help the young kids. Accidentally winning 5 games and being out of the running for guys like Darnold and Rosen (if they are what they are supposed to be) would set their plan back.

That's crazy. I think Barnidge was their best player on offense last year.

Well, Joe Thomas...

2 years ago he was their best skill player. Last year was not nearly as good. Pryor was easily better than him last year.

Nah, they are just starting to accumulate real talent, so they want to make sure they don't have any depth or any vets to help the young kids. Accidentally winning 5 games and being out of the running for guys like Darnold and Rosen (if they are what they are supposed to be) would set their plan back.

Well, Joe Thomas...

2 years ago he was their best skill player. Last year was not nearly as good. Pryor was easily better than him last year.

Touche. Also in all fairness we are talking about the talentless Browns too. I would have thought he didn't need to be cut though and would have been a valuable piece.

More ammo? No. Equal ammo? Maybe. They have 2 firsts again next year which I assume they'll try and trade straight up for Jimmy G. Rumor has it the Pats* wanted both of them this year but they were unwilling to give up such high picks, I have a feeling theyd be more willing to take a shot at trading their own pick next year with someone like JG at the helm instead of the junk theyve had recently.

The way the Mark Kay Spin Machine tossed it out there made it seem they offered pick #12, the Pats said no, but now they have more ammo because they have the Texans pick next year.

Wonder why they make this move now? It's not like they're up against the cap. Perhaps they didn't like what he brought to the locker room?

2 yrs ago the guy was very productive. Seems odd to draft a kid, than put the added pressure of releasing the previous starter, especially when they really didn't need to.

Because The browns are gonna "browns" it up like always