Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

James Washington comes in at pretty much exactly what I thought.  5'10 7/8" and 210 pounds.  he just looks like a RB and now we have the measurements that prove what my eyes saw.  he had been listed as 6'1".  that will hurt his draft stock a little and he could fall to us in the 20's.  he's still a very good WR and has long arms and big hands.  probably similar in size to Tyrod

Edited by kdiggz

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

James Washington comes in at pretty much exactly what I thought.  5'11" and 210 pounds.  he just looks like a RB and now we have the measurements that prove what my eyes saw.  he had been listed as 6'1".  that will hurt his draft stock a little and he could fall to us in the 20's.  he's still a very good WR and has long arms and big hands.  probably similar in size to Tyrod

I think this should be a good barometer for Mayfield, if we ever get those measurements.  I have to say, I am a big fan of Baker's game, but start of the week isn't looking good for him.  Find it wacky he showed up late, and then followed it up with his agent saying he may not play at all.   Using the excuse "lesser known players will be vying for snaps."  Better to not show up at all, than to show up and act like you're doing the game a favor by being there. 

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

James Washington comes in at pretty much exactly what I thought.  5'11" and 210 pounds.  he just looks like a RB and now we have the measurements that prove what my eyes saw.  he had been listed as 6'1".  that will hurt his draft stock a little and he could fall to us in the 20's.  he's still a very good WR and has long arms and big hands.  probably similar in size to Tyrod

Washington will be there in 2nd round.  Might end up late 2nd, early 3rd.

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think this should be a good barometer for Mayfield, if we ever get those measurements.  I have to say, I am a big fan of Baker's game, but start of the week isn't looking good for him.  Find it wacky he showed up late, and then followed it up with his agent saying he may not play at all.   Using the excuse "lesser known players will be vying for snaps."  Better to not show up at all, than to show up and act like you're doing the game a favor by being there. 

Par for the course for Mayfield.  He makes a lot of bad moves which we will probably look back on and say yea that was a red flag we should have known better.  If I'm the GM of a team I'm not putting my future in his hands

38 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

The fact that he has a larger wingspan than his 6'4" teammate is shocking. I think this process is going to be huge for him. Based strictly on his film, he's probably a late Day 2 or early Day 3 pick; he'll be asked to show far more polish as a route runner through the draft process. The long arms, good hands, and solid speed is all promising but the OKST system doesn't demand much in terms of the technique out of their WRs.

Edit: longer arms, not wingspan; wingspan is essentially identical. Still pretty surprising given the difference in height though.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

The fact that he has a larger wingspan than his 6'4" teammate is shocking.

good point.  i think that's been the key to his success.  he's fast but he's not a burner, just very smooth.  his super power is his reach and his hands, both extremely necessary as a WR when you are only 5'11"

he's Michael Vick.  you can take that as a good thing or a bad thing.  at one point Vick was the first $100 mil man and was seen as perhaps one of the best players in the NFL.  Lamar can have some good seasons at the pro level if you suit your offense to his strengths.  he's not going to lead you down the field in the 2 min drill like a surgical pocket passer can but he will have some big plays in the game to keep things exciting

Just now, kdiggz said:

he's Michael Vick.  you can take that as a good thing or a bad thing.  at one point Vick was the first $100 mil man and was seen as perhaps one of the best players in the NFL.  Lamar can have some good seasons at the pro level if you suit your offense to his strengths.  he's not going to lead you down the field in the 2 min drill like a surgical pocket passer can but he will have some big plays in the game to keep things exciting

He's not Michael Vick though...

Michael had one of the crispest, sharpest overhand deliveries I have ever seen.

A howitzer attached to his left shoulder 

Played under center, took 3-5-7 step drops , and was more accurate than his accuracy %

He also was the fastest player on the field till he was 30.

Lamar is good , but not #1 pick Michael Vick good. Vick was a much more nuanced passer

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Played under center, took 3-5-7 step drops , and was more accurate than his accuracy %

Lamar is good , but not #1 pick Michael Vick good. Vick was a much more nuanced passer

....don't get to see college ball so I've never seen him play......according to what I've read here and in the media, he sounds like an upscale TT........if so, would he fit with what you perceive Beane/McD/Daboll are looking for and planning to do with the offensive scheme?.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't get to see college ball so I've never seen him play......according to what I've read here and in the media, he sounds like an upscale TT........if so, would he fit with what you perceive Beane/McD/Daboll are looking for and planning the offensive scheme?.....

At his age he certainly is a rich mans TT in physical gifts 

He is bigger, stronger, faster, stronger arm

But their accuracy levels are about the same, and they push the ball down the field about the same amount 

If you like TT you will like Lamar. If you want a more nuanced pocket passer you will gravitate towards Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Rudolph 

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is going to get very close to $30m.  It isn't just going to beat Stafford's deal it is going to smash it.  He isn't worth that.... but there are enough teams who think they are just a Quarterback away.  

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your assessment. There is no question that there is a demand for his services. But if he demands top of the pyramid money the suitors are going to vanish. When the cap calculations are tallied signing Cousins (who I like a lot) it will become apparent that a team willing to take a plunge at his asking price is going to be straitjacketed for quite some time. No doubt there are a few qbs that one would mortgage the future for and have it be considered reasonable. However, he is not one of them.

One of the reasons that Cousins is willing to go to the brink with the Redskins is that he wants to get into the market and see what his options are, and he simply wants out. He has the leverage and he is using it. That doesn't mean that he is going to fully distort the market for a player of his good but not elite talents.  

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Michael Vick was probably the best athlete I've ever seen on a football field.  Built like a RB, speed of a WR, arm of a QB.  Lamar Jackson is also a great athlete but not built like Vick.  A little taller and a lot skinnier.  But the comparison is there.  He's that "type" of player.  Yes, probably better than Tyrod.  If the OC wants to run that kind of offense and they draft Lamar (i HIGHLY doubt it) then they should keep Tyrod for another year as it would be a smooth transition

Just now, kdiggz said:

Michael Vick was probably the best athlete I've ever seen on a football field.  Built like a RB, speed of a WR, arm of a QB.  Lamar Jackson is also a great athlete but not built like Vick.  A little taller and a lot skinnier.  But the comparison is there.  He's that "type" of player.  Yes, probably better than Tyrod.  If the OC wants to run that kind of offense and they draft Lamar (i HIGHLY doubt it) then they should keep Tyrod for another year as it would be a smooth transition

Good point

Just now, kdiggz said:

He's definitely that type of player. Electrifying 

but a poor mans vick. Like you said, Vick was built, Lamar is skinnier

i also think vick playing under center gave him a big advantage adjusting to the NFL

But Lamar is extremely physically talented 

From what Beane has said in the press, he wants a tall, well built, pocket passing franchise QB.  My guess is they probably have them ranked as Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, White and it just depends on how things play out and who falls.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/what-does-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-want-at-qb-you-have-to-be-able-to-throw-from-the-pocket

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

At his age he certainly is a rich mans TT in physical gifts 

He is bigger, stronger, faster, stronger arm

But their accuracy levels are about the same, and they push the ball down the field about the same amount 

If you like TT you will like Lamar. If you want a more nuanced pocket passer you will gravitate towards Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Rudolph 

.assessment MUCH appreciated bud......maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Beane personally scouted Rudolph twice, first at the WVU game and then his bowl game.....most accounts have him available mid to late 1st or even early 2nd.....wouldn't surprise me if he is Buffalo's safe yet perhaps unsexy pick at 21 or 22...they can then spend their preserved draft capital on OL/DL or DL/OL whichever is the preference versus moving up......................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.