RD 1, pick 6 (2018): Sam Darnold (QB)- USC

major

@SalSports

I have little doubt trade Bills made last night is all about QB next year. Unless Tyrod takes a huge leap, they want and are taking one 1/

Read what McDermott said when specifically asked about 2018 QB class and that possibility and I'm even more convinced 2/

C-f94EMVwAAQIuU.jpg

IMO, clearly said, "we don't like this class, know next year's is good..how do we grab one but still try to win? Have 2 picks/assets" 3/end

If that's the reason they did it then they are idiots. Browns, 49ers, Jets will all be picking before them no matter how many draft picks the Bills accumulate. We will not be getting one of the top QB's next year. If you are excited about the 4th best QB in the class of 2018 then god bless you. He won't be better than what we already have

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's the reason they did it then they are idiots. Browns, 49ers, Jets will all be picking before them no matter how many draft picks the Bills accumulate. We will not be getting one of the top QB's next year. If you are excited about the 4th best QB in the class of 2018 then god bless you. He won't be better than what we already have

I think Sal is just trying to justify it. Notice McDermott simply answered a leading question. Coaches don't like drafting and developing QB's. That's the problem with having the coach run the draft room.

Correct. And it also signals desperation for 2018. It's pretty clear that they view Tyrod as a one year bridge (again), with some higher upside QB taking over in 2018. Last time the Bills were backed into a "must draft a QB" corner we got EJ Manuel. I'm not seeing the plan for how this works out better the second time around. Here's an alternative universe that would make sense: (1) let Tyrod walk, hand the reins to Cardale; (2) find the best trade partners out there for McCoy and Sammy and send them away; (3) trade out of 10 this year, but trade completely out of the 1st round this year in favor of an additional high pick next year. In other words, tank. Do a Browns impression. Suck for Sam, or whatever we'll be calling it this fall. I get that. It makes sense. Aiming for 6-10 or 7-9 so you can pick the 3rd best QB next year is not a winning strategy.

Did the Titans or Eagles (or even Washington) have a top 3 pick when they all moved to #2 to get their guy?

The Titans didn't trade up for Mariota. Wentz was not a Darnold type prospect, and RG3 isnt what I'd consider a victory.

Beside, Darnold will be #1, not #2.

Edited by jmc12290

I don't recall anyone saying this was a great year for QBs... actually it was said often that this was a down year for them and 2018 is the real QB draft. By just about everyone.

Mitch came out after starting for only 1 year for exactly that reason. Those who are upset are merely impatient and uniformed.

Last USC QB to be good? Last USC QB to stay in school and get better?

Don't look know, but Carson Palmer is on a path to a HOF-level career when it's all said and done. 44K+ passing yards, an 88.0 lifetime rating, and the teams he has led have a winning record when he starts. And I expect AZ to be very good this season. They were WAY better than their record last year. They lost a ridiculous number of close games because of weird errors and ST miscues. Their expected record last year was 9.4-6.6 and they ended up 7-8-1.

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't recall anyone saying this was a great year for QBs... actually it was said often that this was a down year for them and 2018 is the real QB draft. By just about everyone.

go back and look at posts from last year and you will find people saying not to take a QB in 2016, wait til 2017 when we could get Watson, and I believe even Kizer was mentioned. No one said it was a Luck/Manning type class, but it's always wait til next year's class when playerX or playerY are available. It happens every year around year, it's like death and taxes

The media didn't do their homework and it turns out NFL teams loved some of these players. KC GM just said they got someone that doesn't come along very often.

KC might be right. On the other hand, at least four teams that are more QB-needy than the Bills also passed on Mahomes and Watson.

What is with the love for this guy? 1 year starter, 1 great game. Baker Mayfield has had TWO great seasons and has been a heisman candidate twice. He can take snaps under Center if need be.

Totally Agree!!!!! I love Baker Mayfield and hope that the Bills draft him next year.

Correct. And it also signals desperation for 2018. It's pretty clear that they view Tyrod as a one year bridge (again), with some higher upside QB taking over in 2018. Last time the Bills were backed into a "must draft a QB" corner we got EJ Manuel. I'm not seeing the plan for how this works out better the second time around. Here's an alternative universe that would make sense: (1) let Tyrod walk, hand the reins to Cardale; (2) find the best trade partners out there for McCoy and Sammy and send them away; (3) trade out of 10 this year, but trade completely out of the 1st round this year in favor of an additional high pick next year. In other words, tank. Do a Browns impression. Suck for Sam, or whatever we'll be calling it this fall. I get that. It makes sense. Aiming for 6-10 or 7-9 so you can pick the 3rd best QB next year is not a winning strategy.

I totally agree. I said the same thing. The Bills should have cut Taylor and went with Cardale Jones this year. It he pans out, great. If not, you get a top 3 pick in the draft next year. All those idiots did on One Bills Drive was assure us that we will be in purgatory again this year with a 6-10 record which will land us a pick around #12 or so. Not good enough to get one of the elite QB's in next year's draft.....:(