TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're all of them at one point. Every single owner of any professional sports team

There's a few organizations left where it is still a family owned operation, so football is the business.

Nix said he thought they could get RWilson a round later.

Nix had no business being a GM.

.....do not disagree with one point.....well done assessment.....Pegula was a neophyte owner and still has a learning curve, heading in the right direction.....although the final decision on Wrecks was his, he did get a nudge from Brandon and could have done a better job with his homework (ie. call BP as you said).....Russ did call one of his very close friends who I have been friends with for years (I also know Russ) right after the signing to ask, "well what do you think?".....the inference to me was he was "all in".......I got a text from my buddy and grabbed a bucket.....

The Rex story is over with. In a short period of time that hiring mistake did a lot of damage. To the owner's credit he immediately saw the chaos on the field and with the staff. I get the sense that Whaley is next to be dispatched. Until recently I have been a supporter but by any measure his work product is average at best.

This owner is new to the business. He has made mistakes. But he is the type of person who is not going to be passive and tolerate mediocrity. He'willing to spend money to support the cause, sometimes not very judiciously, but what comes with the financial support is accountability. We are fortunate to have him as an owner.

A former member of the #Bills coaching staff tells me that he others were surprised that Doug Whaley wasn't fired when they were let go.

Josh Reed Retweeted Josh Reed

Says he would be shocked if Whaley is around after the draft

Josh ReedVerified account @4JoshReed 53s53 seconds ago

More

A former member of the #Bills coaching staff tells me that he others were surprised that Doug Whaley wasn't fired when they were let go.

Josh ReedVerified account @4JoshReed 1m1 minute ago

More

Says member of coaching staff that couldn't get 11 players on the field.

Those same coaches seemed surprised when games happened on Sundays, so it's tough to take them seriously now.

Says member of coaching staff that couldn't get 11 players on the field.

lol, exactly

He's a genius at fracking. He is a rookie in the professional sports world.

Yup, but his nature is to run things so that means he's going to make plenty of rookie mistakes, as we've seen with the Bills and Sabres. Hopefully he's learning from them.

Edited by KD in CA

The Rex story is over with. In a short period of time that hiring mistake did a lot of damage. To the owner's credit he immediately saw the chaos on the field and with the staff. I get the sense that Whaley is next to be dispatched. Until recently I have been a supporter but by any measure his work product is average at best.

This owner is new to the business. He has made mistakes. But he is the type of person who is not going to be passive and tolerate mediocrity. He'willing to spend money to support the cause, sometimes not very judiciously, but what comes with the financial support is accountability. We are fortunate to have him as an owner.

......I agree.....at the same time, this "clueless" crap around here is unfounded yet expected from the boastful keyboard cowardice whose checkbooks were "a bit short" of $1.4 billion to call the shots....TP and Kim are hugely successful BILLIONAIRES....bought the Sabres, Bills, Bandits, AHL Amerks, built Harbor Centre as well as millions invested in real estate....REALLY think successful WINNERS like this want to be associated with LOSING organizations?......then go find someone else with a checkbook that big and a Buffalo/WNY heart of that size......the TBD "pontificators" expose their ignorance which helps a great deal in weeding through posted muck.....for some here, ignorance IS bliss..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

This is all coming from TGs article on Russ

Tim Graham‏Verified account @ByTimGraham 10h10 hours ago

Old Russ: Involved in football decisions more than you knew. Current Russ: Not as involved as you think.

Tim Graham‏Verified account @ByTimGraham 54m54 minutes ago

And things have changed/are changing. Once Whaley is gone, Brandon's last link to what happens on the field will be, too.

peep show‏ @BuffaloWins

I don't think Russ is picking players anymore, but hard to convince me he's not a sounding board for Pegula w/ hiring GMs and coaches

Tim Graham‏Verified account @ByTimGraham 25m25 minutes ago

McDermott essentially will hire the next GM

Brad Smith‏ @Bsmithizzle

Is it a foregone conclusion Whaley is gone after the draft? Feels like it

Tim Graham‏Verified account @ByTimGraham 14m14 minutes ago

I'd been hearing he'd get the 2017 season, but abrupt Sabres moves have changed the mood. I wouldn't be surprised either way

Edit:

John Wawrow‏Verified account @john_wawrow 2m2 minutes ago

And to add to ongoing discussion regarding Whaley's diminishing power, this moved on The AP wire a few hours ago.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/rookie-coach-mcdermotts-voice-gains-prominence-bills

"Don't underestimate the impact Bills rookie coach Sean McDermott has already made on Terry Pegula.

When Buffalo's multi-franchise owner outlined concerns of discipline, structure and character he found lacking in his NHL's Sabres following last week's front-office house-cleaning, they're similar to the troubles Pegula believes he addressed in hiring McDermott."

Edit 2 :

In Buffalo, there’s a belief that the Bills will be making extensive moves in the front office when the draft concludes. Per a league source, the team’s scouts are bracing for job changes after the draft. As one scout explained it, “We are all getting fired next week.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/26/bills-scouts-bracing-for-a-post-draft-house-cleaning/

I can only say I hope all this stuff is true!! This is so refreshing to read I can't tell you. I may end up buying season tickets again if it does prove to be accurate even if the team doesn't win right away.

My only other hope is to see a team president of football operations being hired so the power of all football decisions goes through him.

From PFT, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/russ-brandon-continues-to-have-influence-without-accountability/

Russ Brandon continues to have influence without accountability

"The reality of dysfunction within the Buffalo Bills arises in part from the perception that team president Russ Brandon has finagled the ultimate cake-and-eat-it arrangement where he has influence over the football operations without the same kind of harsh accountability that goes with football operations that consistently go wrong. In an interview with Tim Graham of the Buffalo News, the team’s owners essentially confirmed that Brandon has accomplished just that."

It’s one thing, for example, for the owner to be watching scouts break down film. It’s quite another for an employee who can’t and won’t be fired due to football failures to be sitting in the room and periodically blurting out thoughts to the employees whose jobs are riding in part on the proper analysis of the film and the proper making of decisions based on it.

I can only think that once Brandon is gone then his lackeys will be gone too.

I am . took a complete mess of a roster and started to move it in the right direction.

Of the 35 players Buffalo drafted from 2010 to 2013, only defensive tackle Marcell Dareus and left tackle Cordy Glenn remain on the roster.

Buddy Nix was a 70-year-old retired scout when the Bills hired and promoted him to be a first time GM.

Even Marv Levy, Dick Jauron managed a better winning record with JP Losman and Trent Edwards at QB. Nix=bumbkin

Of the 35 players Buffalo drafted from 2010 to 2013, only defensive tackle Marcell Dareus and left tackle Cordy Glenn remain on the roster.

Buddy Nix was a 70-year-old retired scout when the Bills hired and promoted him to be a first time GM.

Even Marv Levy, Dick Jauron managed a better winning record with JP Losman and Trent Edwards at QB. Nix=bumbkin

Yep. Nix was awful.

I am . took a complete mess of a roster and started to move it in the right direction.

took 7-9 rosters and made them 6-10 rosters.horrible 2010 offseason. extended Kelsay, the Fitz. he was terrible.