Brock Osweiler

stuvian

He started one year in college and had twelve games as a Bronco before going to Houston. I am aware of how badly things looked for him as a Texan but I can't help thinking that at some price point he is a good contrarian play. I think that Houston saw him as a finished product which he wasn't. I believe in renaissance QBs when given the chance in the right system (Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Steve Young).

My question is at what price point does taking Brock Osweiler make sense? I believe he is salvageable and in time could be a competent QB along the lines of Matt Stafford.

If we are trading down we are essentially opting out of this QB class and would likely entertain such options along with AJ McCarron etc

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He started one year in college and had twelve games as a Bronco before going to Houston. I am aware of how badly things looked for him as a Texan but I can't help thinking that at some price point he is a good contrarian play. I think that Houston saw him as a finished product which he wasn't. I believe in renaissance QBs when given the chance in the right system (Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Steve Young).

My question is at what price point does taking Brock Osweiler make sense? I believe he is salvageable and in time could be a competent QB along the lines of Matt Stafford.

If we are trading down we are essentially opting out of this QB class and would likely entertain such options along with AJ McCarron etc

How do you figure trading down is "opting out of this QB class?"

I don't think he's ever going to be good. Watched him a lot here in AZ and he looked just as bad in the pros. Should've improved by now if he's ever going to be good, I would think.

Flash in the pan.

Edited by LeGOATski

if you trade out of the first round you are opting out of this year's class with the possible exception of Kizer or Webb

You didn't mention trading out of the first round. If we traded down with Houston, for example, and took their 25th pick, it's not unlikely that two of the three- Mahommes, Watson, Kizer- would be available. But, even if we did trade out of the first round, one of those three, as well as Webb, Kaaya, and Peterman would likely be available as late as the third round.

Frankly, I would suspect that trading down would make it easier for us to draft a QB.

You didn't mention trading out of the first round. If we traded down with Houston, for example, and took their 25th pick, it's not unlikely that two of the three- Mahommes, Watson, Kizer- would be available. But, even if we did trade out of the first round, one of those three, as well as Webb, Kaaya, and Peterman would likely be available as late as the third round.

Frankly, I would suspect that trading down would make it easier for us to draft a QB.

I don't disagree but trading out of round one entirely is tantamount to saying this year's QBs offer nothing. Trading into the bottom of round 1 should land us the likes of Mahomes, Webb or Kizer.

So you're saying he could throw for 5,000 yards like stafford can? Have you seen this guy play? There is zero chance this guy is ever a winning qb in the nfl.

Agreed...Osweiler is the white version of EJ Manuel.

Edited by JaCrispy

Not a question of want just a matter of whether a deal is sufficiently wothwhile

It's not

The contract alone makes him the hardest player in the league to move. That is the 1st trade that I can remember (in the NFL) where a team attached an asset to get rid of a guy. In addition to the horrible contract, he is a bad football player. If we are looking for a reclamation project I'd rather Kaep (and I don't want him). At least Kaep has played well at the NFL level.

It's not

The contract alone makes him the hardest player in the league to move. That is the 1st trade that I can remember (in the NFL) where a team attached an asset to get rid of a guy. In addition to the horrible contract, he is a bad football player. If we are looking for a reclamation project I'd rather Kaep (and I don't want him). At least Kaep has played well at the NFL level.

don't disagree with anything you've said but if we opt out of this year's QB class we may need to look at long shots like Brock

don't disagree with anything you've said but if we opt out of this year's QB class we may need to look at long shots like Brock

Why? He's significantly worse than what we currently have. We are looking for an upgrade (which is why we are opting out of this class). We'd be much better off trying to get that guy in 2018.

Why? He's significantly worse than what we currently have. We are looking for an upgrade (which is why we are opting out of this class). We'd be much better off trying to get that guy in 2018.

if we can negotiate his contract down he wouldn't be a bad option. Did Dennison not coach him in Denver? I think we might be looking at a Rich Gannon / Jim Plunkett situation here where a guy can succeed in the right circumstances