Summer vacation plans you have made?

mead107

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1) Doing a backcountry solo in the West Texas mountains at the beginning of June; first 5 days in the Big Bend area and then another 5 days up in the Guadalupe Mnts.

#2) Western swing in mid/late July.Spending 4-5 or so days hiking in the Tetons and partying in Jackson with my kids, Follow that up with a move over to the Wind River Range and 4-5 days backcountry with my son in the Cirque of the Towers area

#3) I really like late summer in New England so I'm going to try and do a modified Presidential Traverse in August

#4) I took a 4 month injury in the highlands of WV last fall and want to square that account. Fall comes early to the WV mountains so I'm doing a 4 day solo in the Roaring Plains area in mid September

When I'm not at those places I'll mostly be at my camp on the Allegheny doing some kayaking on the tributaries, mountain biking the ridges and knocking back many, many rumdrinks at the tiki bar or in an intertube on the water.

C;mon by if you can find me! - )

i'm of the group that tries not to do a lot of traveling during the summer. it's one of the few nice times to be in this area. we do take a couple of long weekends a month to go up to the thousand islands. easy drive, great boating along with some good food and booze.

The title says "summer vacation", but I cheat. My wife travels A LOT for work, and I cherry pick the best locations and seasons to join her. So, it's mostly work for her and pure vacation for me. Last month was Denver, then a few days in Vail. I'm actually doing her a favor, since if I don't go along, she doesn't take any time to stop and smell the roses. See what a nice guy I am? :)

#1) Doing a backcountry solo in the West Texas mountains at the beginning of June; first 5 days in the Big Bend area and then another 5 days up in the Guadalupe Mnts.

I did both of these when I lived in Austin! June will be harsh. I assume you will be caching food and water in Big Bend? Please make sure you have adequate plans for water. Gas station ice cream never tasted so good as when I finished that Big Bend hike!

I do the same. Brought the wife with me to San Diego. Will

Likely add some days to bring the family with me to D.C.

We are also likely heading to the gulf coast with the family

Since my family lives down in Texas; first time on a plane with the little kids And so I am quite nervous about it.

Don't be nervous, we've all been there or will be there. I had not one but TWO screaming babies next to me recently, and I just smiled. I admit I was thinking how glad I was that it wasn't me. But then they calmed right down. No biggie. Anyone freaking out should have brought headphones. They will be fine, and a very cool experience for them.

What DID piss me off was taking my 16 year old son up to a Bills game, and I asked him multiple times if he had his license with him. "Yeah, dad, I got it, stop bugging me". That was all good, until we got to security and learned he had put it in his checked bag. Swell! They did dig it out of the plane and we eventually made it. :)

Edited by Augie

Sister Inlaw called and wants us to come down to lewes beach Delaware sometime in may. Long weekend. Fun time. Sister Inlaw loves her water glasses of gin.

Hey, maybe she gets thirsty? :) Or at least hopefully funny.

Fall down type. Good thing bedroom is on first floor

Work is a stress basket, so I've done what I can to avoid it totally the rest of my life. Getting to that stage of imbibing isn't that good.

I did both of these when I lived in Austin! June will be harsh. I assume you will be caching food and water in Big Bend? Please make sure you have adequate plans for water. Gas station ice cream never tasted so good as when I finished that Big Bend hike!

Sweet! what time of year was it?

I've got a bear can that will feed me solo for about 4-5 days so food is not an issue. I'll superhydrate when I leave the truck and then walk in carrying close to two gallons between bladders and bottles. The plan is to position myself near Boot Spring late on the 2nd day. If it's wet, I'm good to go; if it's dried up, I'll have to improvise. Maybe roll the dice and head toward the spring in Juniper Canyon; worse case scenario is I head for the truck before sunrise on Day 3, reload and go spend a few nights in a different section of the Chisos. I've never been in the area before so I don't really know what to expect; I do know I can't be as impulsive as I usually am ; - ) I'm sure I'll look up a ranger before I head out and see what springs are active and take it form there.

Sister Inlaw called and wants us to come down to lewes beach Delaware sometime in may. Long weekend. Fun time. Sister Inlaw loves her water glasses of gin.

I love that south DE area; we did trip to Bethany every year for about a decade.

We've got two weeks planned on Cape Cod in August -- can't wait.

Sweet! what time of year was it?

I've got a bear can that will feed me solo for about 4-5 days so food is not an issue. I'll superhydrate when I leave the truck and then walk in carrying close to two gallons between bladders and bottles. The plan is to position myself near Boot Spring late on the 2nd day. If it's wet, I'm good to go; if it's dried up, I'll have to improvise. Maybe roll the dice and head toward the spring in Juniper Canyon; worse case scenario is I head for the truck before sunrise on Day 3, reload and go spend a few nights in a different section of the Chisos. I've never been in the area before so I don't really know what to expect; I do know I can't be as impulsive as I usually am ; - ) I'm sure I'll look up a ranger before I head out and see what springs are active and take it form there.

I went in May (I think memorial Day weekend?) a few years back. I brought 10L of water, I think they recommended at least 4L/day.

Without looking... I think you can drive to three or four locations on the Outer Mountain Loop (Is that what you're doing?) and stash food/water. Don't forget that some water will be used for making food, too (I'm assuming freeze-dried meals here).

"Rolling the dice" may be inadvisable... going a day without water in potentially 100+ degree weather... Is there potentially a water source at this Boot Spring? Yes, I would call a ranger maybe a week ahead of time and they can help make sure your plan is sane :)

Don't be nervous, we've all been there or will be there. I had not one but TWO screaming babies next to me recently, and I just smiled. I admit I was thinking how glad I was that it wasn't me. But then they calmed right down. No biggie. Anyone freaking out should have brought headphones. They will be fine, and a very cool experience for them.

What DID piss me off was taking my 16 year old son up to a Bills game, and I asked him multiple times if he had his license with him. "Yeah, dad, I got it, stop bugging me". That was all good, until we got to security and learned he had put it in his checked bag. Swell! They did dig it out of the plane and we eventually made it. :)

Thanks! I was just on a plane right behind a screaming baby and felt much more empathy, knowing what was on the horizon for me. Fortunately, we don't have babies. But it may be worse-- traveling with 2-year old twins who I am sure won't be sitting still.