4-20: Sean McDermott Pre-Draft Media Address at 1:30 PM ET

i heard Whaley makes a great K-cup. Just the right brew strength and temp.

:ph34r:

If coach is calling the shots, the Bills will always draft for need rather than best player available. Makes sense how the drafts went with Rex.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@buffalobills

"(Doug Whaley) and I are going to make the call on draft picks together. This is absolutely a team effort. He's still in control of the 53."

C93_kwnWAAAasWh.jpg

"If there is a spilt on the vite in the room is doug whaley going to make that call?"

WE ARE GOING TO MAKE THAT CALL TOGETHER.

Thats not controlling the 53.

I love how the local media killed Ryan for his act, made fun of Whaley because he doesn't come off polished during press conference, and now they get a professional buttoned up guy and they don't like .

What gives you the impression that the media doesn't like him?

You have to wonder how much influence Whaley honestly has in the draft with either Rex or now McDermott. I am beginning to wonder if he is more the errand boy for the coach and the coach is calling the personnel shots in both cases.

I am not stumping for Whaley, but why is it so difficult for some to understand that the GM is supposed to be getting players that fit the HC's vision of the team?

I am not stumping for Whaley, but why is it so difficult for some to understand that the GM is supposed to be getting players that fit the HC's vision of the team?

Depends on your philosophy of how to build a winning football team.

Some (plenty) of people believe in drafting the best player available - almost regardless of position. Others want to draft for need. It is a philosophical choice.

So our first round draft pivk isnt going to make the 53? If thats the case might as well not even watch football next season if our first round draft pick that will be s group concensus wont make thd 53.

Two separate issues. When asked about the draft McD said they work together on it. Sounds like they are putting in a ton of work with scouts, etc such that there will be consensus. And if not they'll hammer it out. In several months when it comes down to setting the final roster 53, that is Whaley. No doubt their first round pick will be on it, and no doubt McD and the coaches will have input on the final 53.

What I see right now is a HC and GM that want to work together collaboratively to build a team.Is that not what we should all want? Instead people want to focus and harp on theoretical "what if" stuff.

Two separate issues. When asked about the draft McD said they work together on it. Sounds like they are putting in a ton of work with scouts, etc such that there will be consensus. And if not they'll hammer it out. In several months when it comes down to setting the final roster 53, that is Whaley. No doubt their first round pick will be on it, and no doubt McD and the coaches will have input on the final 53.

What I see right now is a HC and GM that want to work together collaboratively to build a team.Is that not what we should all want? Instead people want to focus and harp on theoretical "what if" stuff.

Im happy with any scenario that doesnt place emphasis on Doug Whaley by himself to make decisions for this team.

Im happy with any scenario that doesnt place emphasis on Doug Whaley by himself to make decisions for this team.

I have said elsewhere I'm not sure Whaley wants all the duties associated with a traditional GM. I think his passion is the scouting and assessment stuff.

BINGO...this is all that needs to be said. This sounds like a healthy working relationship, and the pitchfork people can shove those pitchforks....

After that interview is anyone else getting a feeling McDermott is going to reach on a guy the fits his system perfectly, if he can't trade down. I'm now thinking the player he wants is Hassan Reddick

I would be more than fine with Reddick and dont see him as a "reach"...

In fact I rather hate the term "reach". Why does it matter if you take a guy at 10 instead of 18? If he is the guy you identify as having the biggest impact on your team, why does 8 spots matter? You usually only get to pick once every 32 picks, you have to make them count.

Good post.

I feel like I'm going crazy listening to the press conference and reading some people's thoughts on here. The media asked Sean at least five times who has the final call.

"If you like a DB and Whaley likes a WR, what do you do?"

It's not like Whaley is going to cut players without discussing it with Sean. They're both going to have their fingerprints on the roster, but apparently the only thing that's important to some is who they can blame if it fails.

You have to wonder how much influence Whaley honestly has in the draft with either Rex or now McDermott. I am beginning to wonder if he is more the errand boy for the coach and the coach is calling the personnel shots in both cases.

So if I understand correctly if a GM gets what the coach wants he's an errand boy. If he drafts his players no matter what he's rogue and feuding with the coaching staff. #alwayswrong.

So if I understand correctly if a GM gets what the coach wants he's an errand boy. If he drafts his players no matter what he's rogue and feuding with the coaching staff. #alwayswrong.

That's one way to look at it.

I always thought it was the job of the Gm to be the chief talent scout and personnel decision maker. It was the job of the coach to take the personnel he is given and assemble them into the best performing football team possible.

Yet, I don't think that is what is happening here.

Don't know for sure because I don't work inside the organization. It just appears (could be totally wrong about this) that the coaches (Rex and McDermott) have taken the role of chief talent scout and personnel decision maker. Meanwhile Whaley is serving more of an executive level advisory role to whether or not it makes sense to go after certain guys.

Another way of putting it - Perhaps McDermott is the shot caller and Whaley is an advisor/business man who finds a way to make the coach's decision happen.

Again, could be totally wrong. But it would make sense why Whaley has never said HE is the final decision maker and why the coaches have also never said WHALEY is the final decision maker. They are masking the fact that the coach (and possibly the ownership) are really the ones at the helm of the personnel search.

Another thing that fits that scenario well is Pegula's seemingly very strong trust in Whaley. If Whaley hasn't called the shots recently (last couple years and this year now) it would make sense that there is nothing to hold him accountable for in regards to personnel decisions. Pegula would literally have no reason to fire Whaley if he isn't making the calls. Pure speculation. I have an active imagination.