Rotoworld ranks Whaley as worst GM in NFL

EJ had some decent moments in 2013, he has his flaws, no doubt, but I've always felt the tandem of Marrone and Hackett was a terrible combination for developing a young QB. Marrone preferred the inside zone runs and was not very flexible in what style of offense he wanted to run. I forget who said it but it was an OL during a minicamp in Rex's first year and he was asked the difference between the Marrone/Hackett offense and the Roman offense and the guy said all Marrone wanted to do was run inside zone whereas Roman was implementing the wide variety of blocking schemes he likes to use. And then of course, Marrone and Hackett are both first timers at their positions in the NFL. They have a QB who trusts himself the most to make a play which leads to him leaving the pocket early, dropping his eyes off his reads and taking off for a scramble. Normally, coaches want to teach a young QB that he's going to have to hang in the pocket and wait for the play to develop and not take off at the first sign of trouble. However, I remember quite distinctly that Marrone/Hackett both encouraged EJ to run whenever he felt like the play wasn't there. They preferred EJ take off and gain a few yards rather than throw an incompletion or an interception. As a young QB you've gotta let the guy take his lumps and learn from his mistakes. Given EJ's slower processing time and the fact that he didn't trust himself to fire the ball downfield into tight windows or throw receivers open, telling him to scramble rather than try to make the throw simply reinforced bad habits EJ already had.

In near-perfect situations EJ showed real NFL ability as a QB. And by near-perfect I mean a clean pocket, his footwork is in sync with the routes his receivers are running and the pocket holds up long enough for him to correctly apply his mechanics and accurately deliver the ball for a completion. Unfortunately, those types of situations don't happen very often during a game. QBs need to be able to work in a muddy pocket, avoid pressure, look off the safety, go through the reads, make a decision and throw all within about three seconds. After that, things start to fall apart and improvising comes into play, and EJ's improv was just to give up on the throw and take off.

You can see as he went from the system used in '13 and '14 to the ones used in '15 and '16 that he was trying to become more of a pocket passer without his first instinct being to run as soon as trouble arose. There's no doubt about his athletic ability and his work ethic, unfortunately for him, his biggest hurdle is the mental processing aspect and how quickly it needs to be done. Perhaps that's why Marrone/Hackett encouraged the running? Maybe they knew it was going to take the guy quite a while to adapt to the speed of the game so maybe they thought they were keeping it simple for him by giving him half-field reads with a near-constant option to run, I dunno. He's a good dude, it just hasn't happened for him. However, with Oakland's OL, I kind of expect him to beat out Cook for the backup job out there based on how good the protection is from the Oakland OL. Carr was sacked only 16 times last season. Granted, Carr makes his reads and decisions faster but the more time EJ has the better simply because he just doesn't process things as fast as needed in the NFL.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree totally - Kolb was one of the top FA QBs available (albeit with a risk). They wanted to run an uptempo offense with a veteran and that became obvious because shortly after the concussion the team began working on a more traditional paced offense and the uptempo offense went away by week 4.

If the plan was to have EJ win the battle and run an uptempo offense - why did they move away from that after a few weeks if as you say EJ looked good in it.

The facts point to everything being even they wanted to run a faster pace Chip Kelly offense and have an attacking defense and they wanted someone with experience running that attack - I understand Kolb showed nothing in Buffalo because of the concussion, but we was not going to be beat out by EJ.

The fact the Bills moved back and looked to move back again before drafting EJ tells you that they knew he needed work. The fact tha Marrone was not comfortable with the QB situation in either year as seen with the argument at Training Camp and the change to Orton tells me that Marrone wanted a Veteran signal caller to give himself a chance at success.

The biggest difference was to see the change in the offense over time - they wanted an uptempo fast paced offense - Kolb gets hurt and the EJ starts game one and they begin to walk back the uptempo offense even though he is alright. By the forth game, they are back to running a traditional offense with more of a rushing attack as they filter through QB after QB. Year two starts and the are a more run first team and then Orton takes over and the passing game begins to open up. Marrone wanted that veteran presence at QB to run his offense and the Kolb injury changed that.

Now you can argue whether or not they should have trusted Kolb to stay healthy, but it was obvious from the beginning with the mat his time in Buffalo was doomed.

Kevin Kolb? :flirt:

The guy that never even threw for 10 TD passes in a season in his career?

TJax was the better QB.......by A LOT.......and that's why he had to go.

The previous season Alex Carrington broke every bone in Kolb's body....ending his season....... with an innocent looking tackle when the Bills were in Arizona...........so the Bills had first hand knowledge of his fragility. :doh:

That is because you want the list to look bad - we can do this another way:

The Good - Trading for Hughes, Trading for McCoy, Signing Richie, letting Byrd walk, Signing Z. Brown, signing Alexander, signing Taylor, putting together the talent for a top 5 defense, putting together the talent for a top 10 offense, resigning Taylor at a reduced contract, retaining Richie, Glenn, Wood from a top offensive line, trading back to draft EJ (if you want to give him the EJ pick).

The Bad - trading up for Watkins (has great talent and no previous injury history, but you do not trade up for WR), trading up for a MLB.

To me nearly everything else is the result of the coaching changes and that was beyond his control. Why do we have so few players drafted left - because we keep changing systems and needs. To build a team faster for a switchover - you sign FAs that fit the new scheme and that costs you draft picks.

Agree to disagree, I didn't make a list to make Whaley look bad, he does that all on his own.... You list Zach Brown as good but he only gave him a 1 year deal and didn't retain him so how is that a positive? I'd put Alexander on the lisyt if he can repeat last years total but thats highly unlikely ( I obviously hope he does though), we had the best running game in the league and the lowest passing team in the league so yeah I don't have a probem with putting that on the list although I'd like the passing to at least be middle of the pack, there is no justification for the EJ pick it was a huge swing and miss and he's on record as saying he was to blame for the Manuel pick at his press conference debacle which can also be a negative, along with his mismanagement of the salary cap, giving Dareus that contract without an out clause in case he's busted and lost for the year due to his drug problems.

I like to think I'm a level headed fan but even I turn into a homer sometimes and I think you are justifying what Doug Whaley is doing and has done with draft picks but you have the homer glasses on. Elite and greatplayers can be used in any scheme, take the Los Angeles Rams for instance, they were a base 4-3 team and will now become a Wade Philips 3-4 base team under him, he will fit the players where he feels they will succeed the most, those players we drafted aren't here because they either aren't that good or we couldn't identify the ones that were (Ross Cockrell -Steelers, K Dustin Hopkins-Washington).

I must be the only one who doesn't think he is all that bad

CBF

Add me to that list.

Unfortunately this ranking is merely a reflection of TBN. First line of that little write-up tells you all you need to know: the author doesn't know jack about Buffalo, but picked up a TBN and went with it.

Welcome to "journalism" in 2017. One person does an opinion piece built on a kernel of truth, and 50 million national writers paraphrase and call it news.

I won't even get into TBN, but those writers are nuttier than a porta-potty at a peanut festival.

Add me to that list.

Unfortunately this ranking is merely a reflection of TBN. First line of that little write-up tells you all you need to know: the author doesn't know jack about Buffalo, but picked up a TBN and went with it.

Welcome to "journalism" in 2017. One person does an opinion piece built on a kernel of truth, and 50 million national writers paraphrase and call it news.

I won't even get into TBN, but those writers are nuttier than a porta-potty at a peanut festival.

the best is when tbn uses jason la canfora as a source for their garbage articles

I also love how people bring up cap mismanagement. When ralph was owner we always had money left, we seldom kept our star players and rarely big spenders in fa and people complained ralph was cheap. Now we do and people calls it cap mismanagement.

We were able to sign alot of players in fa and didnt have to cut star players who contribute. And we still have cap left and plenty next year

Edited by Pbomb

I also love how people bring up cap mismanagement. When ralph was owner we always had money left, we seldom kept our star players and rarely big spenders in fa and people complained ralph was cheap. Now we do and people calls it cap mismanagement.

We were able to sign alot of players in fa and didnt have to cut star players who contribute. And we still have cap left and plenty next year

I know, really. Why be critical of such a well oiled machine?

In regards to EJ - The thought process from our GM and Assistant GM in 2013 made no sense. You pair a Rookie HC in Marrone, with a first time NFL Offensive Coordinator (Hackett), and make him serve double duty as the QB Coach, then surround Manuel with Practice Squad Journeyman Thad Lewis, and undrafted rookie free agent Jeff Tuel.

Horrible support staff.

But EJ has had plenty of chances since then to prove he can play. So this idea that EJ was ruined is bogus. He is not accurate and can't throw with anticipation, so therefore he can't play.

Whaley has shown he is a scout only. He doesn't do the job of a GM.

In regards to EJ - The thought process from our GM and Assistant GM in 2013 made no sense. You pair a Rookie HC in Marrone, with a first time NFL Offensive Coordinator (Hackett), and make him serve double duty as the QB Coach, then surround Manuel with Practice Squad Journeyman Thad Lewis, and undrafted rookie free agent Jeff Tuel.

Horrible support staff.

But EJ has had plenty of chances since then to prove he can play. So this idea that EJ was ruined is bogus. He is not accurate and can't throw with anticipation, so therefore he can't play.

I agree.

Horrible support staff.

I agree. I'm seeing a few people make excuses for the EJ pick. In fact I've read a few posts with quite in depth analysis of EJ. It's not really that complicated. EJ was a reach and a poor draft choice. He was surrounded with superior talent at FSU but didn't fully utilize it. Winston came in and won a national championship when EJ left. He wasn't very good at FSU and was destined to be the same in the pros.

Disagree totally - Kolb was one of the top FA QBs available (albeit with a risk). They wanted to run an uptempo offense with a veteran and that became obvious because shortly after the concussion the team began working on a more traditional paced offense and the uptempo offense went away by week 4.

....seriously?...he was concussed at least 5+ times between Eagles and Cards....besides he was yet another Eagles backup who after a couple of starts because of injuries became league wide drool (see Nick Foles) who amounted to squat (see Nick Foles AGAIN)..........

He had to be benched in 2014.

....could never demonstrate the ability to process the field in time allotted and had ZERO confidence....."processing the field in time allotted" remains a big concern for me with TT.....sure it is year 3 as a starter but year 7 in the league...when or if does he ever succeed in processing the field to find guys open so that the passing game is an integral part of this offense?....or are we doomed to "run or done"?........................

....could never demonstrate the ability to process the field in time allotted and had ZERO confidence....."processing the field in time allotted" remains a big concern for me with TT.....sure it is year 3 as a starter but year 7 in the league...when or if does he ever succeed in processing the field to find guys open so that the passing game is an integral part of this offense?....or are we doomed to "run or done"?........................

We'll find out.