Rotoworld ranks Whaley as worst GM in NFL

If your blind and point it all on the D and coaching then of course you can't see our QB wasn't good enough. So my post of course wouldn't make sense to you.

Cool good to know that you think Tyrod was why Rex got fired. I would've thought it was the litany of other things. Chiefly how he managed the team. In your opinion Tyrod should have been let go and not Rex?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool good to know that you think Tyrod was why Rex got fired. I would've thought it was the litany of other things. Chiefly how he managed the team. In your opinion Tyrod should have been let go and not Rex?

Rex should have been fired and Tyrod allowed to walk. So neither were good enough.

When you have a QB who is limited like Tyrod it leaves no margin for error. That's why better QB play is needed.

There is no one going to start right out of the gate and take the job from Taylor. I'm sorry but I don't see it. That means the guy sits. I always believed that if you draft a QB in the top ten, he had better be able to start from day one. Not this year.

I'm ok with a top QB sitting this year since they are trying once again on Tyrod.

I agree a top 10 QB should start on a normal team but and that's a big BUT with Buffalo in this QB purgatory and staffs changing every few years with a million year playoff drought this team has to keep pushing for a franchise worthy QB. They have to keep trying if they don't this staff is no different then the last few banking it all on a mircle season out of another teams backup QB with no future to think of. Late round projects most likely turn into backups but Buffalos late round projects end up out of the league.

Rex should have been fired and Tyrod allowed to walk. So neither were good enough.

When you have a QB who is limited like Tyrod it leaves no margin for error. That's why better QB play is needed.

So I can understand that (I'm on the fence about the extension but lean towards its ok). But my gripe is with the phrase Tyrod got the last staff fired. What you said is not Tyrod go the last staff fired. Rex got himself fired. Full stop.

So if a guy can become a franchise QB but has to wait a year to start you would not take him?

Sounds like you could work for the Bills!

I know I can't wish a guy to be the answer just because I want him to be, like some fans seem to be doing. If a guy can become one? Any guy could become one. What are the odds on each of these guys becoming one? I don't think they are very good for any of them.

I know I can't wish a guy to be the answer just because I want him to be, like some fans seem to be doing. If a guy can become one? Any guy could become one. What are the odds on each of these guys becoming one? I don't think they are very good for any of them.

The Bills are a billion dollar franchise who employ a whole array of scouts and front office people. It's THEIR job to go over these QB's and determine who can play. If they pass on a franchise QB then they deserve to be fired and replaced by smarter scouts and coaches.

Wow, where did I say that? I didn't you did.

What I'm saying is with keeping Tyrod they are banking it all on coaching and fixing the D so they better hope Tyrod shows up in those big games or this staff will look no better then the last is what I'm pointing to. Tyrod could turn into something but I think he is what he is so the D and coaching better play out of this world or a cordinator will once again be fired year one. Coaching was a problem so was the D but you need to also point to your savior Tyrod, he just wasn't good enough.

The Bills are a billion dollar franchise who employ a whole array of scouts and front office people. It's THEIR job to go over these QB's and determine who can play. If they pass on a franchise QB then they deserve to be fired and replaced by smarter scouts and coaches.

Funny how other teams find a Qb from the draft good enough for at least one playoff run while Buffalo continues to try for that mircle season with other teams backups.

By all accounts it looks like they may have a better chance next year.

I don't think this is clear. Even great QB classes only have 2 or 3 elite prospects. The greatest QB class of the last 20 years was 2004. The Bills watched Eli Manning, Rivers, and Roesthlisberger go before they drafted. Then they decided to get the 4th best prospect in that class, JP Losman.

If the plan was to draft a QB in 2018 then why was Tyrod resigned? No, there is no plan. There is no hope in a better class in 2018 because there is no reason to believe the Bills will have a top 5 pick. We'll be picking 8,9, 10, or 11. It's how we roll.

And if they take one and he flops, the same people who beat the drum for a QB say they screwed up and took the wrong guy. If a player at another position taken after them makes the Pro bowl his first year then they really screwed up in the eyes of the fans. Fans can be wrong. The team can't for the very reason you stated. Your number ten pick needs to start. That's my opinion.

And if they take one and he flops, the same people who beat the drum for a QB say they screwed up and took the wrong guy. If a player at another position taken after them makes the Pro bowl his first year then they really screwed up in the eyes of the fans. Fans can be wrong. The team can't for the very reason you stated. Your number ten pick needs to start. That's my opinion.

I don't get why they have to start. The draft should not be for filling needs for the year but building a team that can win a Superbowl.

I don't get why they have to start. The draft should not be for filling needs for the year but building a team that can win a Superbowl.

We're talking about the top players at their position in the entire country. You know how many players are draft eligible in a given year? The draft is to help teams that suck get better. Suck more and get a better shot at top talent. If I'm not going to do that then I might as well trade out of the first every year. QB is not the only position that can help this team this season.

We're talking about the top players at their position in the entire country. You know how many players are draft eligible in a given year? The draft is to help teams that suck get better. Suck more and get a better shot at top talent. If I'm not going to do that then I might as well trade out of the first every year. QB is not the only position that can help this team this season.

Well, you seem to have adopted the Bills philosophy to drafting. I will have to disagree and say you need to run your team with longer term goals in mind then just getting through the year.

Hit the nail on the head.

When Whaley was hired he said this team was in a QB purgatory and now staffs later it's still in the same purgatory. I agree Whaley is on borrowed time if he can't hit on a franchise worthy QB he will be gone with this staff in my opinion. The draft is the lottery, you have to be in it to win it. Late rounders tend to only work for teams with a franchise worthy QB all ready in place. Brady had to play tremendous to take that job from Bledsoe just like Dak did making Romo retire.

He actually said this in 2015, and since you literally say this All the time, I thought maybe you'd want to read the actual quote in full -

"We are almost in quarterback purgatory. We're good enough that we're not going to have the first or second [overall] pick," Whaley told WGR 550 on Wednesday. "We hope we're not in that position. Hopefully now we're drafting in the teens and the 20s and the 30s. So you're not going to get those college guys that are coming out.

"Franchise quarterbacks hit the free-agent market? Name one. Unless they have an injury. So it's going to be an onus on our scouting staff to find a guy in the lower first round, second or third round. We accept that challenge. It's where we are, and it's been good that we have enough talent around that we're in that situation, but it's not an easy answer. There isn't [one]."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13382343/buffalo-bills-almost-quarterback-purgatory-gm-doug-whaley-says

I'm ok with a top QB sitting this year since they are trying once again on Tyrod.

I agree a top 10 QB should start on a normal team but and that's a big BUT with Buffalo in this QB purgatory and staffs changing every few years with a million year playoff drought this team has to keep pushing for a franchise worthy QB. They have to keep trying if they don't this staff is no different then the last few banking it all on a mircle season out of another teams backup QB with no future to think of. Late round projects most likely turn into backups but Buffalos late round projects end up out of the league.

QB purgatory. Is that what the kids are calling it now days? You guys sound like you believe the BS about QBs being gone by pick 44. There is no gaurentee that the first QB taken is a "Franchise" guy. I seriously doubt even the Brown think highly enough of these guys as to take one at number one. Someone will be there in the second round and I think one or two might be there in the third. The draft always seems to be the opposite of what the pre draft expectations are. I'm only saying I would not take one at #10 this year.

Well, you seem to have adopted the Bills philosophy to drafting. I will have to disagree and say you need to run your team with longer term goals in mind then just getting through the year.

And the only way to do that is a QB at #10 this year? Why not the second or third round? If you're talking project anyway.

Wow, where did I say that? I didn't you did.

What I'm saying is with keeping Tyrod they are banking it all on coaching and fixing the D so they better hope Tyrod shows up in those big games or this staff will look no better then the last is what I'm pointing to. Tyrod could turn into something but I think he is what he is so the D and coaching better play out of this world or a cordinator will once again be fired year one. Coaching was a problem so was the D but you need to also point to your savior Tyrod, he just wasn't good enough.

Funny how other teams find a Qb from the draft good enough for at least one playoff run while Buffalo continues to try for that mircle season with other teams backups.

Dude, you literally just said it 30 minutes ago in this same thread...

Tyrod got the last staff fired and a cordinator fired year one as the starter here. If they bank it all on Tyrod like the last staff they are dead .

Edited by BillsFan4

QB purgatory. Is that what the kids are calling it now days? You guys sound like you believe the BS about QBs being gone by pick 44. There is no gaurentee that the first QB taken is a "Franchise" guy. I seriously doubt even the Brown think highly enough of these guys as to take one at number one. Someone will be there in the second round and I think one or two might be there in the third. The draft always seems to be the opposite of what the pre draft expectations are. I'm only saying I would not take one at #10 this year.

And the only way to do that is a QB at #10 this year? Why not the second or third round? If you're talking project anyway.

If you believe a QB can be a franchise QB you don't wait till the 2nd or 3rd round.

So that's what happened, huh? Rex, the victim?

It's a phrase. Don't take it out of context. Rex deserved to be fired.

If you believe a QB can be a franchise QB you don't wait till the 2nd or 3rd round.

So you should never draft a QB in the second, third or fourth rounds? Maybe the Bills don't believe there is a high likelihood that any of these guys has the makings of a franchise QB. If so, they aren't by any means alone in that opinion. I'll go out on a limb and say that there is an excellent chance that the best QB in this class won't be selected in the first round.

It's a phrase. Don't take it out of context. Rex deserved to be fired.

Rex was fired because he's a bad football coach, not because he lacked a franchise QB or because of "high expectations."