Trump's Request For Voters Information (changed topic)

Wow, man.

First of all, millions of people in this country could benefit from a remedial civics class, no doubt. Do you really think they are all liberals?

Imagine for a moment, that the Republican candidate lost the election while getting the majority of the popular vote by a couple million. Do you really think that it would not be a popular rally cry for the Republicans?

I'll concede that liberals often act like douchebags, but to claim it's all on one side...

Did you see the rank and file republicans going batschit crazy during the Obama years like the rank and file democrats are doing now? BTW, all you guys that bragged about the early returns in this election in GA don't understand the basic fact that the dems for some reason, were able to vote early in the day while the republicans had to wait until they got out of work.

Did you see the rank and file republicans going batschit crazy during the Obama years like the rank and file democrats are doing now? BTW, all you guys that bragged about the early returns in this election in GA don't understand the basic fact that the dems for some reason, were able to vote early in the day while the republicans had to wait until they got out of work.

I didn't brag about anything. There were lots of opportunities to vote early in that election. Anyway, I voted on Tuesday, after work, at about 6:15 pm. I think your generalizations here are a little extreme.

I don't typically identify myself as a liberal. It's just in this forum, I stick out a bit. I find myself defending the left side of things more because I see that the slant is sometimes aggressively right. I'm also not trying to disparage any points of view, just occasionally chiming in as a dissenting voice.

The media doesn't cover the rank-and-file. They cover the extremists.

i don't typically identify myself as a liberal. It's just in this forum, I stick out a bit. I find myself defending the left side of things more because I see that the slant is sometimes aggressively right. I'm also not trying to disparage any points of view, just occasionally chiming in as a dissenting voice.

I'm in the same boat as you. When I talk to a liberal I sound conservative, when I talk to a conservative I sound liberal. That makes us good moderates or just contrarians, up to the listener I suppose.

You mean like calling for secession? That batchit crazy stuff?

Yes, I do remember that. You have a very selective memory

Polls showed Ossoff being up 10 to 20% after early and absentee voting because Republicans took longer to make up their mind given the number of Republican candidates. That get out of work logic slight by Republicans always amused me because of the large number of retired old people over 65 and above is almost always the age group that votes more Republican (was 53% Trump compared to 45% Clinton in election).

"They should change that, let congress vote on it."

That is a step but to amend the Constitution you need 76% of the States to agree. And it's already an Amendment (12th) so you can look up how to amend an Amendment, not gonna happen..."

Wait...you mean a Change.org petition isn't going to cut it?

I know, the libs make me laugh.

"Hillary got more votes."

It goes by electoral college, miss that class in 3rd grade or the lesser known video twin of Conjunction Junction What's Your FUnction? You campaign by the rules, change the rules and you change the campaign.

"They should change that, let congress vote on it."

That is a step but to amend the Constitution you need 76% of the States to agree. And it's already an Amendment (12th) so you can look up on how to amend an Amendment, not gonna happen..."

"well they should do that right now without that stupid amending stuff."

Okay, have a nice day.... post often on TBD, oh you do already....

For the liberals on here...

The United States Congress is the bicameral legislature of the federal government of the United States consisting of two chambers: the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Congress meets in the Capitol in Washington, D.C. Both senators and representatives are chosen through direct election, though vacancies in the Senate may be filled by a gubernatorial appointment. Members are usually affiliated to the Republican Party or to the Democratic Party, and only rarely to a third party or as independents. Congress has 535 voting members: 435 Representatives and 100 Senators. The House of Representatives has six non-voting members in addition to its 435 voting members. These members can, however, sit on congressional committees and introduce legislation. These members represent Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the U.S. Virgin Islands

Actually, an ammendment to the Constitution is not needed. The Constitution states that states determine how to Divy up delegates. So if they decide to scrap the winner take all thing (which is NOT in the Constitution) they can.

You can read more about it here: http://www.nationalpopularvote.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RICK MORAN: Democrats Chasing an Illusion in Georgia Special Election.

In 16 days, voters in Georgia's 6th Congressional District will go to the polls to vote in the single most expensive U.S. House race in history. The contest between Democrat Jon Ossoff and Republican Karen Handel is likely to cost close to $40 million when all is said and done, with each candidate to spend close to $20 million.

Democrats, having failed in two previous special elections in Kansas and Montana, are vowing this race will be different. Not only are they matching the spending by the GOP candidate — unlike in the two previous elections — but the level of enthusiasm among Democrats is very high.

Couple that with the fact that President Trump only carried the usually reliable Republican district by about 2%, and the Dems think they may have a breakthrough in a race they believe can be used as a template to bring them House control in 2018.

{snip}

But win or lose, can the Democrats really use the special election as an example of how to run against GOP incumbents and flip the House?

Not hardly. Georgia 6 is not a typical swing district. While President Trump won the district narrowly, Rep. Tom Price, who resigned to become HHS secretary which necessitated the special election, slaughtered his Democratic opponent by 61-37. Even if the Dems win in Georgia, how are they going to duplicate the advantages they enjoyed? They need to recruit top-flight candidates in dozens of Republican districts who are capable of running a competent campaign and who can raise enough money to be competitive. Clearly, they aren't going to be able to spend $20 million in every GOP district they target.

There's a chance that things may change in the next 17 months. With Trump, you never know. But the smart money will still be on a GOP victory in 2018 regardless of what happens in the Georgia special election.

Governor's race is interesting, too

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/georgia-democrat-aims-to-be-nations-first-female-african-american-governor/2017/06/03/7c5a7c2a-4833-11e7-a196-a1bb629f64cb_story.html?utm_term=.6cf1ff3ce518

Abrams, a Yale-trained lawyer and business executive who writes romance novels on the side, has an army of supporters across the country eager to prove Democrats can win if the party puts its energy into expanding its base among the increasingly diverse state population rather than fretting over white swing voters. That is what Abrams has tried to do as founder of an organization that says it has registered 200,000 new voters in Georgia — along with her work in the state’s House, often while cooperating with Republicans on key legislation and policies — has made her popular with progressives who say the party should rebuild and strengthen the coalition that elected and reelected President Barack Obama.

The rapidly changing complexion of the South, which has seen the percentages of African Americans, Hispanics and Asian Americans increase, creates the potential for a political makeover. Abrams and other progressive political activists of color believe new voters will want candidates who look more like them.

BYRON YORK: In Georgia trench warfare, Dems want to ‘stick it to Trump’.

The special election to replace Republican Tom Price in Georgia’s Atlanta-area 6th Congressional District has become a contemporary politics version of World War I, with both sides dug into fixed positions, both pouring people and money into the effort — it will be by far the most expensive House race in history — and no one holding much hope the results will settle anything.

Insiders now estimate that by June 20, Election Day, the campaigns and groups supporting Republican Karen Handel and Democrat Jon Ossoff will have spent about
$40 million here
— nearly doubling the previous record for the most costly House race. All agree that much spending for a single House seat is crazy, but they’ve sunk so much into the race they’ll be damned if they’ll let the other guy take the prize now.