Possible QB run could work in Bills favor.

I don't see elite talent dropping to ten. Jamal Adams will be gone, Solomon Thomas will be gone.

OJ Howard at ten?! Corey Davis? Marlon Humphrey? Reuben Foster?!

None of these guys are elite and there will be similar guys at 20.

None are elite? If you know anything about player evaluation you know enough not to say things like that. You have no clue and neither does anyone until the bullets fly.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None are elite? If you know anything about player evaluation you know enough not to say things like that. You have no clue and neither does anyone until the bullets fly.

Not every prospect is elite. How many elite prospects do you believe are in this draft?

If this is true, and it happens the way the OP says, keeping tightwad will help us land a few extra picks while we squeeze a couple 9-7/10-6 seasons out of him, meanwhile we take the 4rth qb left on the board late in the first.

in other words, tightwad might actually be the reason the bills end the drought AND land their franchise QB.

Edited by re enlightener

I see Garrett, Allen, Solomon, and Adams as elite players. These guys will be standout players 5-10 years from now.

Who really knows regarding Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, and Kizer?? I like Mahomes the best long term, but even he is no sure thing.

Howard is in the next tier of elite players after the four mentioned above. He can be an asset in the running game and in the passing game. He had 200 yds receiving vs Clemson in the National Championship game. That's an elite TE my friends.

NE is famous for utilizing TEs in their offense. They do it because by utilizing multiple TEs they can keep the opposing defense guessing. But they already have their franchise QB.

I happen to think that there will be a run on QBs in R1, but at what point is anyone's guess.

My 4 guys who will be elite 5 years down the line are Garrett, Lattimore, Adams and Hooker.

I don't think Allen will ever be elite but I do think he is a plug him in to your lineup and be good in that spot for 10 years type. Thomas could be but I also really like Derek Barnett. He is a very good pass rusher and in pure sack numbers it wouldn't surprise me to see him ahead of Garrett and Thomas, especially early in their careers.

My 4 guys who will be elite 5 years down the line are Garrett, Lattimore, Adams and Hooker.

I don't think Allen will ever be elite but I do think he is a plug him in to your lineup and be good in that spot for 10 years type. Thomas could be but I also really like Derek Barnett. He is a very good pass rusher and in pure sack numbers it wouldn't surprise me to see him ahead of Garrett and Thomas, especially early in their careers.

I like your list quite a bit Gunner. There are a few others that have "elite ceilings" like Reddick but it will be tough to predict. The guys that you mentioned seem like the safest prospects with the highest ceilings.

This thread is a bunch of bull. You could draft 6 Jerry rices with the Bills 6 picks. What will it solve, nothing. Let's just keep drafting

everything but QB's that way we can make it to 25 years without making the playoffs. Let's get serious and draft a real QB like Mahomes who I think is the best player in the draft. He is a future pro bowler and will lead what ever team drafts him to a Super Bowl victory.

And what if Watson turns out to be really good and we had a ton of evidence that showed he was? Man, that would be a killer.

The evidence is what ? What could be the secret. Everyone has interviewed players, coaches, watched film etc.The interceptions or the slow-pitch curve ball ?

I happen to think that there will be a run on QBs in R1, but at what point is anyone's guess.

I just hope the run doesn't start at #10

This thread is a bunch of bull. You could draft 6 Jerry rices with the Bills 6 picks. What will it solve, nothing. Let's just keep drafting

everything but QB's that way we can make it to 25 years without making the playoffs. Let's get serious and draft a real QB like Mahomes who I think is the best player in the draft. He is a future pro bowler and will lead what ever team drafts him to a Super Bowl victory.

But a Dobbs or Davis Webb appears just as capable of becoming a good starter as the top 4 rated. Just tough when use a #1 on someone who'll be on the bench for awhile. But TT must be replaced. I Just think a 2nd rounder could work out just as well. And let's face it. We currently one of the worst cornerback and Wr rosters in the league. Would like a 1st round talent to help these very weak links. Mahomes could be another Brett Favre but if your scouts don't think so you just can't draft him. If they draft him I hope they (and you) are right. We have to do better than TT long-term

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

I don't see a QB run impacting us in the 1st. I think there will be 3 QBs selected between 12-25. It may help us if we are able to trade back.

Completely agree.

We are in a terrible spot at 10 to find another team to trade down with. Houston is my team to target. If lets them jump Cleveland at 12 and they can pick any QB they want as none should be off the board yet.

If Jets, 49ers or Bears go QB then Howard may still be there at 10 and most assuredly one of the two WRs will be there assuming the Bills can not find a trade partner.

Please feel free to post your QB analysis for the last ten years and your Brady draft grade.

Though I agree they should take a QB early this year and I would be happy with Mahomes in the 20's or Kizer in the second round. Kizer looks like a bigger version of Russell Wilson. Not the arm or size of Cam Newton but I think he is a player that is young and can sit behind TT this year. By all reports he is intelligent. Don't think I ever heard that said about Cardale.

I believe that there are four QBs that will be highly sought after in R1 of this year's draft. Namely, Trubisky, Kizer, Watson, and Mahomes..........not necessarily in that order.

Teams like SF, Chicago, NYJ, Cleveland, and Arizona are all in the market for a potential franchise QB.

BTW, I think the Bills would like to draft a QB, but will likely pass on any QB in R1 since they have T. Taylor.

That means that like any other position that is not very deep, once the run begins teams tend to panic and make a move to fill their need. Well the QB position is no different.

If say NYJ decides to take Trubisky at #6 we may see teams like Cleveland and Arizona looking to move up to grab one of the three remaining QBs mentioned above. That would play right into the Bills' hands.

Those teams may be willing to part with much more than they normally would to move up to #10 overall because:

1. A potential franchise QB is hard to come by.

2. The competition amongst teams willing to move up could and likely would drive up the price.

IMHO, this would be the best case scenario for a Bills team that has a whole lot of needs to fill.

Could very well be a good thing for the Bills- most teams seeking QBs will grab them in round (1) so they can exercise the 5th year option - even though (and because) they are all development projects.

The attached link is a WGR interview with Greg Garbrial. He talks about the qb class and his belief that the class is better than many non NFL analysts indicate. He pointed out that the top part of the class is going to be drafted in a rather short order.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-13-greg-gabriel-pro-football-weekly-talking-nfl-draft-mike-schoppmp3

But a Dobbs or Davis Webb appears just as capable of becoming a good starter as the top 4 rated

I've watched enough of all these guys to say that I don't think this statement is anywhere close to being the truth...And it's really no knock on Dobbs or Webb as developmental prospects...But just as capable of becoming good starters? I don't think that is the case at all...Especially when compared with Trubisky, Watson, and my favorite Mahomes... B-)

I believe that there are four QBs that will be highly sought after in R1 of this year's draft. Namely, Trubisky, Kizer, Watson, and Mahomes..........not necessarily in that order.

Teams like SF, Chicago, NYJ, Cleveland, and Arizona are all in the market for a potential franchise QB.

BTW, I think the Bills would like to draft a QB, but will likely pass on any QB in R1 since they have T. Taylor.

That means that like any other position that is not very deep, once the run begins teams tend to panic and make a move to fill their need. Well the QB position is no different.

If say NYJ decides to take Trubisky at #6 we may see teams like Cleveland and Arizona looking to move up to grab one of the three remaining QBs mentioned above. That would play right into the Bills' hands.

Those teams may be willing to part with much more than they normally would to move up to #10 overall because:

1. A potential franchise QB is hard to come by.

2. The competition amongst teams willing to move up could and likely would drive up the price.

IMHO, this would be the best case scenario for a Bills team that has a whole lot of needs to fill.

we can only hope.

There is a good change we will take a QB at 10 Tyrod is NOT the answer and this front office knows it

I doubt it, since Whaley isn't calling the shots look for better decisions in the upcoming drafts

I'm banking on Watson being there at 10, Houston trading up, we get a few extra picks in '17 and Houston's first in '18

yes please

and pray they have the worst record

and pray they have the worst record

Not a chance Houston is the worst team in 2017 in my opinion.

The attached link is a WGR interview with Greg Garbrial. He talks about the qb class and his belief that the class is better than many non NFL analysts indicate. He pointed out that the top part of the class is going to be drafted in a rather short order.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/4-13-greg-gabriel-pro-football-weekly-talking-nfl-draft-mike-schoppmp3

What I found most interesting (and I have liked Gabriel's take on the QB class all year to be honest) is that he is someone who still has decent links into the Bears organisation and he believes they are going Quarterback at #3. My ex boss has a very good personal friend who has done some work for the Bears in the past and says the same thing. I am surprised a lot more of the mockers are not matching Chicago with a Quarterback. That is the way I really see them going. You have to ignore the Glennon deal. Pretty much all the guaranteed $$$ is this year.

What I found most interesting (and I have liked Gabriel's take on the QB class all year to be honest) is that he is someone who still has decent links into the Bears organisation and he believes they are going Quarterback at #3. My ex boss has a very good personal friend who has done some work for the Bears in the past and says the same thing. I am surprised a lot more of the mockers are not matching Chicago with a Quarterback. That is the way I really see them going. You have to ignore the Glennon deal. Pretty much all the guaranteed $$$ is this year.

He also thinks the NC coach was a bonehead for posting the pic of the Bills coach and owner when they were there to look at Trubisky. While a lot of folks think the Bryce Petty wine and dine is proof that the Bills interest in qb is a smokescreen, Gabriel thinks the presence of the owner signifies real interest in the position. Thinks the Bills at #10 will pick the third qb off the board (apparently either Kizer or Mahomes.) So, this is a meh qb class . . .

Not a chance Houston is the worst team in 2017 in my opinion.

The linchpin team with how the qbs fall is San Fran. I don't think they are going to take a qb but if they decide to select Trubinsky then the qb selection process will be accelerated.

I was listening to WGR yesterday and Sal Cappacio was talking about how the Bills view their qb situation and how they will attack the draft. He seems to haven taken a dramatically different stance where originally he said that the Bills had too many holes to fill before addressing the qb position. Now he is saying that the organization's line of thinking is that they don't expect to be one of the lower drafting teams in the upcoming years. So if they see a qb they like in the first round they will respond this year. He also pointed out that by the way the team structured TT's contract it is a clear indication of how they feel about him.

My feeling (also brought out in the Gabriel interview) is that because there are so many teams with downside veteran qbs such as San Diego, Pitts, Giants and Cardinals and throwing in the mix the at least half dozen teams that have desperate qb needs waiting until the next round or later is going to result in the fridge being empty type situation.

The Bills are built to be at best an 8-8 team. The waiting until next year recommending crowd doesn't understand the futility of waiting for the next class of prospects. We won't be in a better position to select a credible qb prospect next year as we are this year. You would think that an organization and fan base would exhibit more urgency after twenty years of second rate qbing. It makes no sense to me.

The drama of the draft will begin when the run on QBs begins. Will it start at #1, at #2, at #3, at #6, at #10??

I expect Trubisky to be the first QB to be drafted. SF could take him at #2. Chicago could take him at #3. There is even talk that Cleveland may forego selecting M. Garrett and take Trubisky at #1.

Cleveland's HC wants Trubisky. The Cleveland hierarchy is not sold on him. He knows that he probably won't get him at #12. He could either convince the Cleveland hierarchy to take Trubisky at #1 or take Garrett at #1 and then trade up from #12 to get him.

If Trubisky is still on the board when the Bills select at #10 you can bet the house that Cleveland will be offering a king's ransom to the Bills to obtain the #10 pick.

That's when things will get really interesting.

The linchpin team with how the qbs fall is San Fran. I don't think they are going to take a qb but if they decide to select Trubinsky then the qb selection process will be accelerated.

I was listening to WGR yesterday and Sal Cappacio was talking about how the Bills view their qb situation and how they will attack the draft. He seems to haven taken a dramatically different stance where originally he said that the Bills had too many holes to fill before addressing the qb position. Now he is saying that the organization's line of thinking is that they don't expect to be one of the lower drafting teams in the upcoming years. So if they see a qb they like in the first round they will respond this year. He also pointed out that by the way the team structured TT's contract it is a clear indication of how they feel about him.

My feeling (also brought out in the Gabriel interview) is that because there are so many teams with downside veteran qbs such as San Diego, Pitts, Giants and Cardinals and throwing in the mix the at least half dozen teams that have desperate qb needs waiting until the next round or later is going to result in the fridge being empty type situation.

The Bills are built to be at best an 8-8 team. The waiting until next year recommending crowd doesn't understand the futility of waiting for the next class of prospects. We won't be in a better position to select a credible qb prospect next year as we are this year. You would think that an organization and fan base would exhibit more urgency after twenty years of second rate qbing. It makes no sense to me.

If Sean McDermott thinks he is winning 10 games next year he knows far less assessing this team than I thought.

But in any case, it's good to see they plan on taking a QB if the value is there. The problem is that their formula for this the last 20 years has been off. We constantly pass on good to great QB prospects.

If Sean McDermott thinks he is winning 10 games next year he knows far less assessing this team than I thought.

But in any case, it's good to see they plan on taking a QB if the value is there. The problem is that their formula for this the last 20 years has been off. We constantly pass on good to great QB prospects.

Fans who think that the Bills are a playoff contending team are deluding themselves. This team not only wasted two years on the Rex era and it was set back by another year or two by the Rex fiasco. The Bills are in a moderately rebuilding mode that is now establishing a foundation as to the type of player and environment they want to establish.

The quickest way to becoming competitive is getting a good qb. With a quality qb you can have a flawed roster and still compete. With a good roster and an inadequate qb you are not going anywhere.