23 years ago today Kurt Cobain died

Ice bowl 67

Just finished the final handshake and contract signing for my first accounting firm job when I got in the car and heard the news.

A good symbol that my school days and putting too much into thinking about music was over.

Not sure where I was on April 5h... His body was found on April 8th.

That year I was in the throws of a terrible rheumatoid arthritis flare. First started w/what seemed the flu after January arctic weather, then a warm-up & rain in early February...Running around downtown Chicago without a coat... Superman @ 26 years old. Followed by pneumonia, that cleared but RA flare went wild for months. February-April 1994 was by far the worst months! I think I was @ the doctor when I heard the news on the radio about Cobain's death?

That year was a blur... My wife still married me @ the end of May. I got every test possible...Scoped in every direction... LoL... And still closed the deal. Must have been true love! LMAO or she figured I didn't have something catchy like TB to AIDS & was a safe bet outside my eccentric behavior. ;-)

Kinda weird how the whole NW/Seattle scene was big back then... We aren't "beach people". Took honeymoon in Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, BC, Kelowna, BC, Banff & Jasper, AB and then back down through WA State to Seattle again. Maybe mountains in June helped.. Symptoms, inflammation burned themselves out by the end of the year. Symptoms and inflammation so bad (like even in the balls of my feet) there were times I felt like putting a gun to my head like Cobain did... Not joking either.

Not sure where I was on April 5h... His body was found on April 8th.

That year I was in the throws of a terrible rheumatoid arthritis flare. First started w/what seemed the flu after January arctic weather, then a warm-up & rain in early February...Running around downtown Chicago without a coat... Superman @ 26 years old. Followed by pneumonia, that cleared but RA flare went wild for months. February-April 1994 was by far the worst months! I think I was @ the doctor when I heard the news on the radio about Cobain's death?

That year was a blur... My wife still married me @ the end of May. I got every test possible...Scoped in every direction... LoL... And still closed the deal. Must have been true love! LMAO or she figured I didn't have something catchy like TB to AIDS & was a safe bet outside my eccentric behavior. ;-)

Kinda weird how the whole NW/Seattle scene was big back then... We aren't "beach people". Took honeymoon in Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, BC, Kelowna, BC, Banff & Jasper, AB and then back down through WA State to Seattle again. Maybe mountains in June helped.. Symptoms, inflammation burned themselves out by the end of the year. Symptoms and inflammation so bad (like even in the balls of my feet) there were times I felt like putting a gun to my head like Cobain did... Not joking either.

LOL....reading this thread I realized that was 1994, which means I married my first wife on May 28.

I was waiting for takeout pizza with my sister at Amore Pizza on Aviation Road in Queensbury, NY.

The news came over the radio and we both looked at each other with jaws dropped.

I've been a Nirvana fan since Nevermind. Kurt Cobain was not the most gifted guitarist, vocalist or lyricist. But he was very good at all of them ... especially the lyrics. He was one of the pioneers of the grunge genre, which I love to this day.

Of all of the music I've introduced my son to over the years, Nirvana has stuck with him. My son is a left-handed guitarist and sings, too. He just turned 14.

Next week, he'll make his debut playing guitar and singing in front of his school and the parents/friends who attend.

He's doing "About a Girl," with one teacher playing bass and another teacher playing drums.

I'm glad and proud that Cobain is one of my son's influences.

Kurt Cobain was a kind soul who lived many of his 27 years in emotional and physical pain.

I hope he's resting in peace. And when he's not resting, I hope his rocking the phuck out.

RIP, Kurdt.

Cheapo

Huh? It was Memorial Day weekend, we thought it worked better for people, traveling, etc... We were in IL... Married in BFLo and had family come from East Coast. It gave everybody extra time to unwind and stay longer w/out breaking up the middle of the holiday.

Is Friday cheaper? I have no idea.