2017 Mock Draft

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not high on Mike Williams.

My fear is he's the next Laquan Treadwell.

I don't think he has the speed or separation ability.

His success was due to outleaping lesser competition. He won't get away with that at the next level.

My preference for Rd1 is a trade down.

His success was due to outleaping lesser competition. He won't get away with that at the next level.

I kind of wondered that too which is why I asked about Bama and OSU. All 4 corners will be top 50 picks and likely all 1st rounders. He did pretty well. He had 6 for 96 against Lattimore and Conley and 8 for 94 and a TD against Humphrey and Fitzpatrick. Obviously, it isn't the perfect measuring stick but it's about as close of a gauge as you will find.

....guess I don't see further investment in the receiving corps when the anointed #1 QB on the roster can't find guys open already on the roster....unless it's all their fault (COUGH)....

I guess that I still don't get this. You never hear anyone say, "we can't rush the passer so no need for good corners" or "we have lousy corners so no need to rush the passer." You improve EVERY area of your team that is weak and the sum of the parts will improve. If the Bills add Corey Davis (as an example) the passing game will be better even if Tyrod doesn't get better.

I guess that I still don't get this. You never hear anyone say, "we can't rush the passer so no need for good corners" or "we have lousy corners so no need to rush the passer." You improve EVERY area of your team that is weak and the sum of the parts will improve. If the Bills add Corey Davis (as an example) the passing game will be better even if Tyrod doesn't get better.

If you improve at the qb position you to a greater extent improve the team compared to improving any other position. If you want better play by your receiving corps one way to do it collectively is have an upgrade at qb.

No one can argue the point that by upgrading a position you are also upgrading the team. However, the better argument is that by bolstering the most important position in the game you are having the greatest impact on the team.

No one is arguing against upgrading other positions. Making the selection of a qb a priority does little to hinder addressing other positions through the draft and free agency. We currently have a mediocre GM who has gratuitously traded away picks for little to show for it. So I don't understand the angst of using one high pick on an area of need.

With respect to the highlighted segment you have the argument backwards. Instead of adding a good receiver to bolster the limited qb why not turn that argument around and have a qb that is good enough to maximize the talents of its playmakers. The bottom line is you get no where serious with a qb who is categorized as a bridge qb. For the past twenty years the Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb. The ignominious record that has followed has been a reflection of it.

If you improve at the qb position you to a greater extent improve the team compared to improving any other position. If you want better play by your receiving corps one way to do it collectively is have an upgrade at qb.

No one can argue the point that by upgrading a position you are also upgrading the team. However, the better argument is that by bolstering the most important position in the game you are having the greatest impact on the team.

No one is arguing against upgrading other positions. Making the selection of a qb a priority does little to hinder addressing other positions through the draft and free agency. We currently have a mediocre GM who has gratuitously traded away picks for little to show for it. So I don't understand the angst of using one high pick on an area of need.

With respect to the highlighted segment you have the argument backwards. Instead of adding a good receiver to bolster the limited qb why not turn that argument around and have a qb that is good enough to maximize the talents of its playmakers. The bottom line is you get no where serious with a qb who is categorized as a bridge qb. For the past twenty years the Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb. The ignominious record that has followed has been a reflection of it.

I think that everyone would agree with that. I don't see an upgrade at QB this year. That doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade around him. You upgrade at any position when the right guy is available. Every team has weaknesses that they need to address. You don't forsake upgrading those weaknesses because you don't like your QB.

The Browns have 5 of the top 65 picks and a WAY worse QB situation than us. Should they draft 5 QBs? Should they avoid receivers even though they desperately need them? It doesn't work that way. EVERYONE knows that good QB play improves your team. You can't wait to get a QB though to build the rest of your roster. You can't just throw your hands up and say "we love OJ Howard but we don't have a QB so we will take Peppers." If you like a QB you take him. I, along with most experts, don't see a guy that improves you day 1. You draft BPA at DB, LB or pass catcher and your team improves.

That is why I used the CB vs. pass rusher example. I was trying to illustrate the backward logic without someone saying "yeah, but QB..."

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I kind of wondered that too which is why I asked about Bama and OSU. All 4 corners will be top 50 picks and likely all 1st rounders. He did pretty well. He had 6 for 96 against Lattimore and Conley and 8 for 94 and a TD against Humphrey and Fitzpatrick. Obviously, it isn't the perfect measuring stick but it's about as close of a gauge as you will find.

I honestly am trying to figure out why Treadwell did not do better then he did......looked like a stud coming out of College then just....dissapeared

Then I think back to a WR we took name Hardy.....who was supposed to be this "open when covered" guy who just fell off the earth after being drafted high.

I really want "explosive" pass catcher's with good size

I honestly am trying to figure out why Treadwell did not do better then he did......looked like a stud coming out of College then just....dissapeared

Then I think back to a WR we took name Hardy.....who was supposed to be this "open when covered" guy who just fell off the earth after being drafted high.

I tend to agree but others like Benjamin and Alshon have had a lot of success being those guys.

Route running and understanding offensive route running concepts.

Treadwell isn't the most fleet of foot, in turn having to be far better at routes.

Zimmer had said something along the lines of Treadwell still counting steps on routes and not being as fluid and instinctive.

There is no doubting Treadwell can be a possession WR that is a match up nightmare for DBs, but the subtle elements that are asked for at NFL level is what gives you the leg up.

Every one you face on most game days was a fellow top pick, or a guy who busted his butt to be a starter at the highest level.

I'd really like to see the Bills trade out of pick 10 and go down some if they can find a trade partner.. My feeling is this draft will have enough CB's, WR's & safeties to find one later. What I don't see being possible to draft after round 2 is a useful OT. I think we need one (RT). Get an extra 2nd rounder and look at corners, safeties and wide outs with the extra pick or maybe someone like Derek Rivers would be in play too. They have many needs and few picks so trading down more than once wouldn't bother me at all.

Edited by norton20

I think that everyone would agree with that. I don't see an upgrade at QB this year. That doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade around him. You upgrade at any position when the right guy is available. Every team has weaknesses that they need to address. You don't forsake upgrading those weaknesses because you don't like your QB.

The Browns have 5 of the top 65 picks and a WAY worse QB situation than us. Should they draft 5 QBs? Should they avoid receivers even though they desperately need them? It doesn't work that way. EVERYONE knows that good QB play improves your team. You can't wait to get a QB though to build the rest of your roster. You can't just throw your hands up and say "we love OJ Howard but we don't have a QB so we will take Peppers." If you like a QB you take him. I, along with most experts, don't see a guy that improves you day 1. You draft BPA at DB, LB or pass catcher and your team improves.

That is why I used the CB vs. pass rusher example. I was trying to illustrate the backward logic without someone saying "yeah, but QB..."

Last year the Browns had an opportunity to use their high draft pick on a qb such as Wentz. Instead, they traded their pick to the Eagles who used that pick to select Wentz. Cleveland got a boatload of picks for the deal. In my estimation Cleveland set their franchise back by not using the dealt pick for a qb selection. Ask yourself which team is in a better situation? The team with the franchise qb or the team still searching for a franchise qb with a lot of picks in its pocket?

You are making the point that you can't wait on a qb to continue building the rest of the roster. No one is disagreeing with that obvious point. What I am saying is if you don't have a franchise qb (we haven't had one in twenty years) and there is an opportunity to get one it is imperative that you do so.

Our fundamental disagreement revolves around the issue that I believe there are legitimate franchise qb prospects in this draft, and apparently you don't. I also believe that with a little creativity by this organization such as trading down a potential franchise qb can be secured with additional picks in hand to address more positions.

Keep coughing but Watkins still needs single coverage.

That's a fact. A WR to apply pressure to the defense's deep zone across from Watkins is of tremendous importance. It not only keeps defenses from keying on Watkins, it also takes pressure off the run game. There's no reliable player like that on the roster now, but there needs to be. It's the team's number one need right now, although the defensive secondary is damn close.

That's a fact. A WR to apply pressure to the defense's deep zone across from Watkins is of tremendous importance. It not only keeps defenses from keying on Watkins, it also takes pressure off the run game. There's no reliable player like that on the roster now, but there needs to be. It's the team's number one need right now, although the defensive secondary is damn close.

Stop posting and brew some beer.

Listenbee COULD maybe become that "take the top off" guy, but we rightfully shouldnt hope for that.

Any guy we draft that could be a good number 2, Williams/Davis/Jones/Godwin, arent those blow the top off guys either.

So what is the solution? If we draft another 5th/6th round speedster, he goes into the same boat as Listenbee as far as COULD become that guy. How do we address that need?

I was so psyched when we took drafted him in the second. No WR's drafted in first round that year if memory serves. DeSean Jackson was still on the board. Many mocks had us taking one or the other (mostly in the first. Once again, if memory serves. 60 now, it's starting to fail me.) Guess we missed the boat on that one. Hope we don't make the same mistake on Williams. My feelings on him on page 1 of this thread.

Treadwell ran a 4.63 in his forty which would have made him amongst the slowest in the 2015 and 2016 drafts. Mike Williams was a shade over 4.50 which puts him in the Dez Bryant/Michael Thomas speed range. The thing with Williams as he has shown he can break a long one after the catch which to me shows he isn't as slow as some make him out to be because of his inability to get away from tight coverage.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/27/11125820/nfl-combine-results-2016-wide-receiver-40-yard-times-will-fuller

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/21/8079839/2015-nfl-combine-results-40-yard-dash-wide-receiver

Edited by The Jokeman

Stop posting and brew some beer.

Listenbee COULD maybe become that "take the top off" guy, but we rightfully shouldnt hope for that.

Any guy we draft that could be a good number 2, Williams/Davis/Jones/Godwin, arent those blow the top off guys either.

So what is the solution? If we draft another 5th/6th round speedster, he goes into the same boat as Listenbee as far as COULD become that guy. How do we address that need?

I was transferring when I typed that. And aren't you supposed to be enriching our youth at 9:20 in the morning?

I really want a lot of a wide receiver addition. The current offense with Taylor is going to require a speedster who can get deep because we are going to have to stay run-first with vertical passing. But I want to look past 2017. I'm not convinced Watkins will be around in 2019 and I think it's unlikely that Taylor will. We might need more out of this player than just running lightning fast fly patterns. The offense might require more of him at that point and he might need to be the #1 WR.

That's a tall order, so let me simplify. I want a speedy WR who can either be/grow into a #1 or quality #2. He's got to do more than just be fast though. So who fits that? Mike Williams isn't fast enough, so I'll pass on him. Davis is an excellent route runner in addition to being very fast. He fits. Despite his injury concerns I'd be happy with him at 10. I don't see Ross as a great fit despite his speed. I'm not sure he does much else. I also don't think he's worth maneuvering for. Pass. In the second round I'm looking at Godwin. He is plenty fast and, can run routes well and is big, tall and aggressive. My sleeper is Chad Williams from Grambling. Big, fast and strong. He has a chance to be as good as (or better than) the WRs at the top of the draft.

Edited by BarleyNY