Andy Benoit Analyzes what McDermott's Scheme sez about draft

Just went back to 2002 and here are the safeties selected in the top 10:

Roy Williams

Sean Taylor

Michael Huff

Donte Whitner (ugh)

Laron Landry

Eric Berry

So in the last 15 years there have been 6 safeties in taken in the top 10, and the only real star (lived up to draft spot) I would argue is Berry.

And Norman was taken in the 5th round, so McD didn't use a high pick on acquiring him FWIW

I really think a dude being murdered is a bit of an extenuating circumstance in regards to not living up to draft status, Taylor was well on his way to being a perennial All Pro.

I also don't think the Steelers regret taking Polamalu, or the Ravens regret Ed Reed, or the Seahawks regret Earl Thomas, all three were 1st round picks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think a dude being murdered is a bit of an extenuating circumstance in regards to not living up to draft status, Taylor was well on his way to being a perennial All Pro.

I also don't think the Steelers regret taking Polamalu, or the Ravens regret Ed Reed, or the Seahawks regret Earl Thomas, all three were 1st round picks.

That's fine, and I agree with them, but they weren't taken in the top 10 which is where we are picking. And yes he had the talent, but playing for only a couple years is not what you want from a top 10 pick regardless of circumstance. Hence reasons why Jack dropped last draft

He is spot on. I have said this for years, the way to beat Brady has been shown to us. FAST LINEBACKERS! Our DL is strong, but Kyles replacement needs to be found sooner than later. McDermott's system is proven to be a damn good one, Let him fill the roster as he sees fit.

Kyle's replacement is Adolphus Washington until further notice.

Kyle's replacement is Adolphus Washington until further notice.

I think he has tons of potential. I love how our whole D Line might be a better fit in the 4-3. We wreaked havoc on teams a few years ago when we were in the wide 9 under Schwartz.

Nope, but if you claim to be a lockdown man-on-man corner, why get burned by Hogan who isn't even a speedster? Is that the only time he has been burned? How many times has Gilmore made a play at the end of the game to help us win like othe corners have, including Sherm, Talib, or Patrick Peterson. Even Malcom Butler is more clutch than Gilmore imo and a better tackler. Safety help is help, nothing more nothing less.

The coverage technique there (defensive play design) is stop the intermediate, short and deep comeback routes (this is one of the only schematic ways to stop the deep comeback in man coverage) aggressively and get a turn over with the CB from a QB throwing into coverage. The point is to overplay non-deep routes and get the turn over or eliminate certain routes, it has to do with scheme (what he was asked to do) and nothing to do with locking down your man completely (what he was not asked to do), its to decrease the probability of completing certain routes, increase the probability of a turn over, break up or the QB not throwing the ball at all. Gilmore did his job on the play, Meeks did not, its not as simple as "Safety help, is help, nothing more nothing less" in that defensive play design (I believe, which is usually man under C2) the safety help is IMPERATIVE. Its not Gilmore who is burned on the play, its Meeks, who by the way is still looking for a job, with that play on tape that NFL personnel people are looking at....

Hogan tied Desean Jackson for yards per catch average in the league last year for players with 30 or more catches, he's fast enough. Yes depending on how you round numbers he was 2nd.

The rest is debatable, but that play shows how "doing your job" Gilmore vs. "NOT doing your job" Weeks, affects a play and how a fans perception can blur the reality of a play.

Edited by P51

Good post and you got me. Relying on the bum safeties we had last year to cover over the top was probably bad coaching and play calling. I said Gilmore is maybe in the top 10, which would make him great. I just don't think the guy is elite or worth 14 mil a year. His flaws will be exposed in NE even more imo.

Edited by gatorbait

I'm not a fan of Ruben Foster, especially not at 10... I think the best WLB is Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt imo, again he's not a top 10 but I'd love him in the 2nd round for sure.

I really don't see Foster at 10. Maybe with a trade back, but he's more of a Mike. McDermott said the other day that's where he sees Ragland. I think we go OLB in the second/third

I'm not a fan of Ruben Foster, especially not at 10... I think the best WLB is Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt imo, again he's not a top 10 but I'd love him in the 2nd round for sure.

No way Cunningham lasts until round 2. Top 20 pick in my opinion - he is in play as early as #14 with the Colts.

Edited by GunnerBill

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The coverage technique there (defensive play design) is stop the intermediate, short and deep comeback routes (this is one of the only schematic ways to stop the deep comeback in man coverage) aggressively and get a turn over with the CB from a QB throwing into coverage. The point is to overplay non-deep routes and get the turn over or eliminate certain routes, it has to do with scheme (what he was asked to do) and nothing to do with locking down your man completely (what he was not asked to do), its to decrease the probability of completing certain routes, increase the probability of a turn over, break up or the QB not throwing the ball at all. Gilmore did his job on the play, Meeks did not, its not as simple as "Safety help, is help, nothing more nothing less" in that defensive play design (I believe, which is usually man under C2) the safety help is IMPERATIVE. Its not Gilmore who is burned on the play, its Meeks, who by the way is still looking for a job, with that play on tape that NFL personnel people are looking at....

Hogan tied Desean Jackson for yards per catch average in the league last year for players with 30 or more catches, he's fast enough. Yes depending on how you round numbers he was 2nd.

The rest is debatable, but that play shows how "doing your job" Gilmore vs. "NOT doing your job" Weeks, affects a play and how a fans perception can blur the reality of a play.

I'm more worried about Gilmore turning around before the play was ovet to look for the person to blame. It says a lot about his character. He is a primadonna who is more concerned with his own image than his team winning. Good riddance. Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

I'm more worried about Gilmore turning around before the play to look for the person to blame. It says a lot about his character. He is a primadonna who is more concerned with his own image than his team winning. Good riddance.

There was no way he was catching the guy.

Jonathan Meeks appears to have completely blown his assignment on that play. But let's blame Gilmore for a 1-second "look" on tv.

Yup, GIlmore looks like he's in trail technique looking to stop short to intermediate route, expecting over the top help.

If I remember correctly, it was a zone call initially but the shift by NE checked them into a man coverage call. It didn't get out to Gilmore so he played it as though Meeks should've been over the top.

If Gilmore got anything wrong, it was his film prep.

I'm more worried about Gilmore turning around before the play was ovet to look for the person to blame. It says a lot about his character. He is a primadonna who is more concerned with his own image than his team winning. Good riddance.

Him turning around and not trying to make a play prematurely pissed me off watching it live. I recall yelling several choice phrases at the TV/Gilmore for quitting on the play, regardless of the coverage or possible check.

Good post and you got me. Relying on the bum safeties we had last year to cover over the top was probably bad coaching and play calling. I said Gilmore is maybe in the top 10, which would make him great. I just don't think the guy is elite or worth 14 mil a year. His flaws will be exposed in NE even more imo.

Yeah, the safety play and communication last year w/out A.Williams in particular was atrocious. Dont get me wrong about knowing that play call, I believe it was cover 2 or at least that is what I remember of that particular play and they may have very well checked out of it, that I dont recall, but with how bad the communication was last year in the back end I dont know if it would have mattered, the secondary did not do much well last year. So if they checked out of the C2 and Gilmore did not recognize/hear it, it could have been his fault. From watching the coverages last year there was a lot of confusion, people playing zone, when they were supposed to be in man, playing man when everyone else was in zone, and missing checks happened on the regular, especially with them waiting to the last possible second as much as they did to check out of coverages.

I dont think he's worth elite money either, but the market over pays... He is a high end cover corner IMO, but how high end and how good of a all around corner? IMO that is certainly debatable.

Great find and post Thurman

If the pattern holds, and our Bills stay at #10, and if we pick a defensive player, IMO all signs point to a DT or a LB

That's cos I think Adolphus will end up playing mostly outside, not inside, in this D, but I could be wrong

And I think we're set for years at DE with Shaq and Hughes, and we've already went out and got FA DE depth

But not so much DT

However considering Kyle's age, I think the former #3 now dropping Allen is a perfect fit longterm

There's that shoulder issue but someone is getting a top 3 prospect in the trees so why not us?

Ditto the rising Reddick at OLB, or the Foster at MLB/OLB

There also is the versatile/hybrid Peppers

For those still thinking DE, FYI - Taco Charleton gets mocked right after us

jc

I see both positive's and negative's in McDermott's defense. Sounds like McDermott places emphasis on having good LB's. It's been over a decade since the Bills had a great LB corps. When playing against New England, we need a good front seven to generate pressure as well as having players who can jam their WR's and TE's as New England plays the dink-and-dunk game. The Bills need to throw off the timing of the Patriots passing game and make Brady hold onto the ball longer in order to give time to get to Brady. What I am concerned about is playing a zone defense against Brady. Brady carves up zone defenses as he is great at going through his progressions and finding the open man.

If I remember correctly, it was a zone call initially but the shift by NE checked them into a man coverage call. It didn't get out to Gilmore so he played it as though Meeks should've been over the top.

If Gilmore got anything wrong, it was his film prep.

That could very well have been what happened, I thought it was a 2 deep man (certainly could C2 zone) to start the play and that they may have been checking into a zone(?), which either way Gilmore is certainly expecting help over the top initially and didnt get it. If they checked out of the initial coverage and he didnt see the check or it wasnt communicated to him, it would align with the coverage issues they had throughout the season.

Film prep certainly could be an issue there as well, communication one way or another certainly was a issue last year.