Next NFL Move: going international?

Well, as the Raiders moved, we all have growing speculation about who's going to move next. And Bills Fans have lots of insecurities in this regard due to the declining economic profile of the region. And the next two articles do not help out:

MMQB - London next target

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/27/nfl-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-raiders-next-relocation-city-london

While ESPN says NFL's new stadium era is finished, with speculation about the "last frontier: Buffalo".

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/234573/with-6700000000-in-public-money-nfl-stadium-era-closes

MMQB: Beyond Vegas - thinks London is the next likely target. And I agree - the Brits are huge suckers for ANY American cultural product, and this being one of those. While the article says the likely teams are Jaguars and Bills, I believe it is the Jaguars who are most likely to move to London - their owner has a soccer team in London, and has been marketing Jaguars to the Brits for sometime:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/nov/29/jacksonville-jaguars-shahid-khan-london.

I can tell you guys right now that, personally, I want less than nothing to do with an NFL franchise in London. The Bills are my team, I didn't start following them because of a convenient location.

That being said, I think the current government is working hard to secure that as a long-term venture and I agree that Jacksonville makes a lot of sense because of Khan's ownership of Fulham etc. I think it's a logistical nightmare and, while moves to LA and Vegas are pretty soulless ventures for nothing more than financial gains, a London franchise would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Quite rightfully, US fans should be universally against it (sans a few Jags fans that want them to move so they can stop caring).

As for us being "suckers for any American cultural product", both Yanks and Canucks come in their droves to visit an old woman living in a fancy house. Talk about throwing stones in glass houses :D

Edited by Blokestradamus

Well, as the Raiders moved, we all have growing speculation about who's going to move next. And Bills Fans have lots of insecurities in this regard due to the declining economic profile of the region. And the next two articles do not help out:

MMQB - London next target

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/27/nfl-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-raiders-next-relocation-city-london

While ESPN says NFL's new stadium era is finished, with speculation about the "last frontier: Buffalo".

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/234573/with-6700000000-in-public-money-nfl-stadium-era-closes

MMQB: Beyond Vegas - thinks London is the next likely target. And I agree - the Brits are huge suckers for ANY American cultural product, and this being one of those. While the article says the likely teams are Jaguars and Bills, I believe it is the Jaguars who are most likely to move to London - their owner has a soccer team in London, and has been marketing Jaguars to the Brits for sometime:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/nov/29/jacksonville-jaguars-shahid-khan-london.

I literally just posted this in another thread. I don't think the NFL is going to move any more teams. They want to expand into other countries. In my opinion, the NFL wants a "World" type division that would be in Mexico, Toronto, London, and possibly China. The NFL has played in the first three cities, but keep hitting snags in China. They might think China is a bit too far for a divisional game with either Mexico or Toronto, so another candidate may be in play for the fourth "World" team.

If the NFL wants to put a game in Torshavn, Riga or Tallinn, I might go.

Tallinn is a beautiful place, but the time I was there in January ... we only had about 2 hours of daylight. Any home playoff game is a night game ....

The NFL is currently walking slowly towards the slaughter house, when/if a London move happens they are there and the door is going to close behind them.

I completely disagree! London makes a lot of sense for a few reasons:

1) HUGE US ex-pat population in London.

2) Huge financial and corporate base, INCLUDING a ton of wall-street firms who're going to buy tons of luxury boxes

3) The earlier said Brit fans. they packed the stadiums every time games are shown and the NFL cable shows are quite popular despite the aweful viewing times for the Brits.

4) as the past 10 years have shown, the logistics of having games in London are now down to science due to that experience. It is a 6 hour direct flight from NYC or most east coast/ Northern (Chicago for instance) locations due to the globe being ROUND.

It also makes a lot of sense that this will come via an expansion baring Jaguars franchise situation (I mean have you seen the empty seats? Jags games in London have more people in stands).

Old news they been talking about this since the first time they went to London.

Yes but back in 2007 it was a pipe dream. They now have a purpose-built NFL stadium coming up in London. There are more games there now. And the fan base is being built up. It is now a very tangible possibility.

Edited by CanadianFan

I can tell you guys right now that, personally, I want less than nothing to do with an NFL franchise in London. The Bills are my team, I didn't start following them because of a convenient location.

That being said, I think the current government is working hard to secure that as a long-term venture and I agree that Jacksonville makes a lot of sense because of Khan's ownership of Fulham etc. I think it's a logistical nightmare and, while moves to LA and Vegas are pretty soulless ventures for nothing more than financial gains, a London franchise would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Quite rightfully, US fans should be universally against it (sans a few Jags fans that want them to move so they can stop caring).

As for us being "suckers for any American cultural product", both Yanks and Canucks come in their droves to visit an old woman living in a fancy house. Talk about throwing stones in glass houses :D

well my friend it wasn't a stone meant to be an insult! lol just facts. Yes Americans and canucks are also consumers of Brit cultural products - see Beatles, Princess Di, the whole royal thing, etc etc. After all they are former colonies - there's that thing called "colonial mentality". In Canada's case, we still pay you for the privilege of borrowing your Queen as our Monarch! LMAO.

I completely disagree! London makes a lot of sense for a few reasons:

1) HUGE US ex-pat population in London.

2) Huge financial and corporate base, INCLUDING a ton of wall-street firms who're going to buy tons of luxury boxes

3) The earlier said Brit fans. they packed the stadiums every time games are shown and the NFL cable shows are quite popular despite the aweful viewing times for the Brits.

4) as the past 10 years have shown, the logistics of having games in London are now down to science due to that experience. It is a 6 hour direct flight from NYC or most east coast/ Northern (Chicago for instance) locations due to the globe being ROUND.

It also makes a lot of sense that this will come via an expansion baring Jaguars franchise situation (I mean have you seen the empty seats? Jags games in London have more people in stands).

Yes but back in 2007 it was a pipe dream. They now have a purpose-built NFL stadium coming up in London. There are more games there now. And the fan base is being built up. It is now a very tangible possibility.

It was never a pipe dream...