Probably political

I was going to start a thread about this topic in Off the Wall. I put it here instead because I think it will get political. If not political, it will get contentious.

It hits close to home for me but I won't get into that right away. I want you get your thoughts on if:

You personally would like to live forever.

What would happen to the human race if nobody aged, or at least that was an option for everyone.

I have thoughts on this from personal experience that I can share but I'd rather have the discussion get started first.

Every single one of us can empathize with watching loved ones age and pass and facing our own mortality.

As of now, I wouldn't want to prolong life, but I'm sure that perspective may change if I have children/grandchildren.

It's interesting to think about. My problem is the obvious issues with execution if technology really does afford us this one day. If the rich/poor dynamic wasn't contentious enough politically, this would take it to new extremes. Scarcity of resources would be huge of course.

This is a bit too individualistic for me. For every wise elderly person I meet, I meet several who are products of questionable ideologies reinforced for decades. Give those people another thirty years while also legislating how many children we can have (this would definitely need to happen, no?) and we may get stuck with a lack of youthful innovation. I'm skeptical that we would be better off as a whole.

We've all been in the place of wishing we had just a little longer with someone. On an individual scale it's sad, but in broad strokes it's necessary.

I personally have no interest in living forever.

The rationale behind this kind of science and technology needs to be seriously considered. Not just for the economic reasons Rockpile mentioned, which are an issue unto themselves, but for the unanticipated consequences halting the aging process might bring about. Would fertility rates, already slowing down around the world, plummet as the species finds itself populated with ageless, ever-consuming Googleites? Probably. Could the resources and manpower spent on technology to keep Goldie Hawn alive indefinitely be more effectively allocated elsewhere? Definitely.

Reason Magazine:

Medical Ethicists Think You Have A Duty To Die At 75.

As I’ve observed before, the entire Ethics Establishment is pretty much a fraud, but the “medical ethics” wing is possibly the worst.

And, as I’ve also noted before, even modest reductions in aging could have huge economic benefits. -Glenn Reynolds

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/261037/

Reason Magazine:

Medical Ethicists Think You Have A Duty To Die At 75.

As I’ve observed before, the entire Ethics Establishment is pretty much a fraud, but the “medical ethics” wing is possibly the worst.

And, as I’ve also noted before, even modest reductions in aging could have huge economic benefits. -Glenn Reynolds

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/261037/

0f2f6c64d15e5b41961040a636228e1b.jpg

Can you explain how these two thoughts go together?

Edited by GoBills808

Can you explain how these two thoughts go together?

It's very simple...................

I am posting information ......................things for people to chew on that they may not have seen.

Not personal beliefs.

If we reverse aging will we all turn into Benjamin Button or will we get to freeze the aging process at the perfect time?

You know, kinda like liberals think should happen with the planet's climate.

Some of the stuff I've read on the matter, which is highly dubious, anticipates the aging process will stop (or reverse to) 29 for males, 21 for females.

I personally have no interest in living forever.

The rationale behind this kind of science and technology needs to be seriously considered. Not just for the economic reasons Rockpile mentioned, which are an issue unto themselves, but for the unanticipated consequences halting the aging process might bring about. Would fertility rates, already slowing down around the world, plummet as the species finds itself populated with ageless, ever-consuming Googleites? Probably. Could the resources and manpower spent on technology to keep Goldie Hawn alive indefinitely be more effectively allocated elsewhere? Definitely.

Any age regression or age reduction technology will be most useful for the space programs. No more need for FTL travel.

Over-population wouldn't be a problem.

I was going to start a thread about this topic in Off the Wall. I put it here instead because I think it will get political. If not political, it will get contentious.

It hits close to home for me but I won't get into that right away. I want you get your thoughts on if:

You personally would like to live forever.

What would happen to the human race if nobody aged, or at least that was an option for everyone.

I have thoughts on this from personal experience that I can share but I'd rather have the discussion get started first.

Just watch the movie with Justin Timberlake.

Just watch the movie with Justin Timberlake.

Another one..............

http://www.docurama.com/docurama/how-to-live-forever/

How-To-Live-Forever-DVD-F.jpg

How to Live Forever Directed by Mark Wexler, 2009

“Engaging…remarkably spry and lighthearted!” The New York Times

A cell lives an average of 5 minutes. A hummingbird for 5 years. Right now, humans live for about 75 years. What might it mean to live forever?

Director Mark Wexler embarks on a worldwide trek to investigate just what it means to grow old and what it could mean to really live forever. HOW TO LIVE FOREVER documents his journey as he seeks to learn if eternal life is possible or even desirable. Exploring these issues with a fascinating array of people—from futurist Ray Kurzweil to comedian Phyllis Diller to a 101-year-old chain-smoking marathon runner—Wexler presents a riveting series of stories and insights about youth, aging and longevity.

Is it me or does Buster look like a Bills Fan ??

No wonder he has to live forever.................. :lol:

Edited by B-Man

i am going to live forever. just not in this realm. my essence is on a journey and this material world we all currently reside in, is but one stop along the way. why would i want to forgo all the many other experiences i have awaiting me. i may decide to come back at some point but with my current mindset, i am excited to see what lies next.

on the other hand.... if there really is no such thing as time outside of this realm, i might just stay here as long as there is a purpose. i do love my life here.

Some of the stuff I've read on the matter, which is highly dubious, anticipates the aging process will stop (or reverse to) 29 for males, 21 for females.

Any age regression or age reduction technology will be most useful for the space programs. No more need for FTL travel.

Over-population wouldn't be a problem.

In an ideal world yes, but the makeup of the crowd mentioned in the article leads me to believe otherwise.

I'll take em at any age, but ideally I'd put a few extra years on the ladies. Can I order a 27?