Potential Trade Down Partners

Great job, Section 122.

I like the idea of trading with either the Browns, Cardinals, Eagles, Buccaneers or Lions.

The Browns would be most ideal, since they may be the most willing to give up more picks since they have so many.

If Corey Davis is still there, it would be very tough to pass on him.

If players like Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen or Malik Hooker were to fall to us, then we should definitely listen to others.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't a great passing team so we shouldn't invest in upgrading the weapons? I've never (and will never) understand that logic. You have a GLARING hole at the #2 pass catcher. I specifically worded it that way because I think OJ Howard is certainly a possibility. This team has big holes in the secondary as well. I can't see the 1st pick invested anywhere else. It should be ideal in this draft too because there are a handful of players in those areas that are valued right around pick 10.

glad I read further down as this is how I feel too. value and need line up quite well for the Bills even if they trade down. although I could see first pick being a safety if one of the top guys is there.

We aren't a great passing team so we shouldn't invest in upgrading the weapons? I've never (and will never) understand that logic. You have a GLARING hole at the #2 pass catcher. I specifically worded it that way because I think OJ Howard is certainly a possibility. This team has big holes in the secondary as well. I can't see the 1st pick invested anywhere else. It should be ideal in this draft too because there are a handful of players in those areas that are valued right around pick 10.

...sorry for confusion...I am not saying or advocating a "great passing team"....what I do advocate is BALANCE.....hate to use the Pats model, but.......if you take away their run game, Brady can put it up 40+ times and hand off 15 times...RESULT?..."W".....take away their passing game and Brady can put t up 15-20 times and hand it off 35 times...RESULT: SAME "W".....Bflo does not have that flexibility or versatility IMO....we are either "run or done"...OR....pray that TT's wheels lead to the "W".....just don't see that as a long term recipe for success......

...sorry for confusion...I am not saying or advocating a "great passing team"....what I do advocate is BALANCE.....hate to use the Pats model, but.......if you take away their run game, Brady can put it up 40+ times and hand off 15 times...RESULT?..."W".....take away their passing game and Brady can put t up 15-20 times and hand it off 35 times...RESULT: SAME "W".....Bflo does not have that flexibility or versatility IMO....we are either "run or done"...OR....pray that TT's wheels lead to the "W".....just don't see that as a long term recipe for success......

I don't disagree with that. Balance will improve though with improved weapons.

I don't disagree with that. Balance will improve though with improved weapons.

...if you think about it, it is a double edged sword....do we yet know that any of the recent signings or kids returning from injury are NOT an improvement?....do we know if any draft choice would be an improvement over those on the roster?......keep in mind all of the 'lil minion posters who put their "crystal bawls in reverse" and spouted about knowing that Sammy would be a bust at #10......

I think 15 is the sweet spot for players that would fit a need and gain us enough picks to make it worthwhile. Like I said some of the guys we would be happy with at 10 should still be there. We would have 3 picks in the top 46 which would allow the Bills to go WR, CB, S and address the 3 biggest holes (imo) with potential impact players.

Further down 20 or so is where next year's firsts come in to play. If the long term strategy is 2018 for a QB that would be huge in allowing the Bills to move up next year. 25 is the absolute lowest I would go from 10 and that would require next years first for me.

edit: and thanks :thumbsup:

15th pick it is then. Nice work 122.

Good post OP. It's definitely something to hope for, yet playing the old 'devil's advocate', I'm worried that because this class is so deep in certain areas, teams won't come calling, as they will believe they can still get a guy they want, in a later round.

Probably the best 'shot' we have, is if there is nobody taken from a position group, by #10, so there's an opportunity for a needy team to get the top guy at that position, by trading up. It's likely that the 'drop off' between the top guys, and the next tier, will also be a factor.

Bearing in mind that this draft is supposedly very good in certain areas (and deep), has anyone got a sense of how many guys are considered 'blue chippers' at the top of it - as that could also be the difference maker in getting offers to trade down.

...if you think about it, it is a double edged sword....do we yet know that any of the recent signings or kids returning from injury are NOT an improvement?....do we know if any draft choice would be an improvement over those on the roster?......keep in mind all of the 'lil minion posters who put their "crystal bawls in reverse" and spouted about knowing that Sammy would be a bust at #10......

I think that there is never a sure thing when it comes to FA or the draft. I think that the "bust" potential is pretty low in the top 10 though. I don't think that there is any doubt that Davis, Ross, Williams or OJ Howard would make a huge impact in the passing game. Those guys are problem for DBs, especially when you aren't talking about #1 corners covering them.

The Bills signed some guys with interesting upside (specifically Holmes). On talent alone though, no one that they added compares to the guys above (or Zay Jones for that matter). The Bills have plenty of depth at WR but are missing a #2. That's part of the reason that they are going to take one in the 1st couple of rounds. You can always "find" guys that turn into gems. You just can't count on them. If the Bills needed a 4th receiver for example, they could wait. The guy that they draft in the 5th (for example) may end up becoming a #2 WR despite the fact that he was drafted as a depth guy. The Bills don't have that luxury though because they are drafting a starter not a depth guy.

I think that there is never a sure thing when it comes to FA or the draft. I think that the "bust" potential is pretty low in the top 10 though. I don't think that there is any doubt that Davis, Ross, Williams or OJ Howard would make a huge impact in the passing game. Those guys are problem for DBs, especially when you aren't talking about #1 corners covering them.

The Bills signed some guys with interesting upside (specifically Holmes). On talent alone though, no one that they added compares to the guys above (or Zay Jones for that matter). The Bills have plenty of depth at WR but are missing a #2. That's part of the reason that they are going to take one in the 1st couple of rounds. You can always "find" guys that turn into gems. You just can't count on them. If the Bills needed a 4th receiver for example, they could wait. The guy that they draft in the 5th (for example) may end up becoming a #2 WR despite the fact that he was drafted as a depth guy. The Bills don't have that luxury though because they are drafting a starter not a depth guy.

...baffling as to why comprehending the FACT that the "draft or FA is not an exact science" is so difficult to comprehend as you perfectly stated.....agree with the "luxury" part, but with so many holes and Whaley having only so much putty, it should be interesting...thanks bud :thumbsup:

Great post

Though I think the reason for trading other than the obvious extra high draft pick you get is because the players you wanted all got taken

Now none of us have any clue who these players are

My initial guess is Adams, Lattimore, Davis, Williams, Davis, Hooker, and the surprising dropping Allen, and say they all get picked

And our Bills decide they don't want a QB, RB, Howard, or Foster

You look for that partner trade down

Maybe you even had a tent deal down in advance

However IMO if any of the above slip to #10 its because lots of QB's got taken

Then I would not trade out, I'd grab Hooker or Lattimore cos you're getting a 3-5 player at #10

Geez, I think Allen is a #3-#4, so if he drops to 10, you take him, its not outta left field, he'll eventually replace Kyle

But hey that's just me...

jc

...baffling as to why comprehending the FACT that the "draft or FA is not an exact science" is so difficult to comprehend as you perfectly stated.....agree with the "luxury" part, but with so many holes and Whaley having only so much putty, it should be interesting...thanks bud :thumbsup:

It will be interesting for sure. I see 4 openings today, CB, S, WR2 and WLB. I think Lorax will be used more as a situational pass rusher. Maybe they can still address one of these spots in FA? Maybe they believe Seymour, Lorax and/or Poyer will be starting? They have a few options but that's kind of how I see it today.

if we're serious about any of the QB prospects we can't trade below the Browns and Cards

I agree with that. however if their guy gets taken in the top 10 I'd rather they trade down than reach for their #2 qb.

this is more a thought exercise with ideas of who might be willing to trade up and what it would net the Bills.

I think it all comes down to the QBs. If they don't go in the top 3, people will want to trade ahead of Cleveland and others to get their guy.

I don't think any of them are worth a first round pick, but we will see.

I agree Kirby, without HC Sean telling us who our potential starters are, its even harder to get a read on needs at the draft because if Lorax isn't a starter, yes, we have a gapping hole at OLB, and the same can be said about Seymour and CB

It gets even more confusing, re Hyde & Poyer - Hyde is getting a whopping 6M a year, and I can't tell if he's a starting S, a starting CB, or the starting nickel back in a 65% mostly nickel formation - I will tell you his role in GB was mostly nickel CB, not a starting S/C

Hoyer is also getting 3M a year, for a guy, with even less starting exp than Hyde, just 6 games over 4 years, he's getting starter $$$, but its not a given that he's an NFL ready starter, or if he is that he will be considered one this time next year, lol

To ease my mind Hyde is the nickel guy, and Seymour is still depth, so we are still looking for a #2 starting Corner, and Poyer is the SS, we are still looking for a starting FS in the draft, you add that to WR2, these are your primary starting holes, but some will add QB, RT, WR#3, and OLB to the mix, plus I think our Bills are looking at DT as well projecting into the future

So many holes, trading down, and or acquiring additional draft picks is IMO the best way forward, plus acquiring comp picks when we don't lose high profile FA's and don't replace them with equal high profile FA's acquisitions, the strategy of trading up has to end, not only is it not working in terms of short terms wins and loses, but the combo of giving up draft picks and losing FA's is making it hard to build long term

jc