NFL to eliminate some commercials

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on eliminating the ESPN and Fox Sunday shows?

How about all the announcers? :D

How am I supposed to make truck buying decisions without Denis Leary and generic, non threatening bearded Chevy guy advising me 30 times per hour?

Excellent question. I'm sure we are looking at longer commercial breaks during timeouts and between quarters. No way are the networks leaving any money on the table.

I forget exactly what Goddell said but if you can find the presser from super bowl week or any follow up that might help. Some radio guys suggested different things they would do to reduce the amount of actual commercials. Some of it had to do with half screen ads after touchdowns and extra points and never actually cutting away for a commercial break.

Edited by Commonsense

I forget exactly what Goddell said but if you can find the presser from super bowl week or any follow up that might help. Some radio guys suggested different things they would do to reduce the amount of actual commercials. Some of it had to do with half screen ads after touchdowns and extra points and never actually cutting away for a commercial break.

It was "breaking news" on radio so something new has come up

This is answered by the link posted right above your post.

The difference between college broadcasts and NFL broadcasts was stark this season. A college team would be running the offense after both the extra point and kickoff before the NFL got finished with the 3rd commercial.

Good move.

Edited by FireChan

This is answered by the link posted right above your post.

Thanks. Sounds like the commercial breaks will be less frequent but 30 seconds longer? That's more time to get a beer and check the stove. 4 breaks per quarter instead of 5/6. It sucked as it was so I welcome the change.

Thanks. Sounds like the commercial breaks will be less frequent but 30 seconds longer? That's more time to get a beer and check the stove. 4 breaks per quarter instead of 5/6. It sucked as it was so I welcome the change.

I agree with the change. Adding 30 seconds to an existing break is much better than 2 separate 15 second breaks or 1 separate 30 second break.

For those that don't visit the article:

* Four breaks per quarter (rather than five, six, five and five), each extended from 1:50 to 2:20.

Edited by jeremy2020