Find me a versatile Corner in the draft

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gave me life, you gave me milk, you gave me courage.

Your name was Angela, the angel from heaven.

But you were also an angel of God, and He needed you, too.

Selfishly, I tried to keep you here, while the cancer ate away your organs, like an unstoppable rebel force, but I couldn't save you, and I shall see your face nevermore, nevermore, nevermore.

Until we meet in Heaven.

I think Marlon Humphrey, with all his aggression, run stopping prowess, and the likelihood that he fits best in a zone scheme...could be a sleeper pick for the Bills. Whether he is worth the 10th pick or whether it makes more sense to trade down and hope to land him is a topic I'll leave to the draft experts on here.

Fabian Moreau from UCLA

Should be there in the 2nd and would be a very nice fit.

I think Marlon Humphrey, with all his aggression, run stopping prowess, and the likelihood that he fits best in a zone scheme...could be a sleeper pick for the Bills. Whether he is worth the 10th pick or whether it makes more sense to trade down and hope to land him is a topic I'll leave to the draft experts on here.

I like Humphrey but when I describe him "aggression" is not the word that immediately comes to mind.

I like Humphrey but when I describe him "aggression" is not the word that immediately comes to mind.

Fair enough. I am apparently not the only one who WOULD use that word, though:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-humphrey?id=2558067

STRENGTHS

Has the body type and athletic traits that are out of central casting. Fluid hips and hard-charging makeup speed. Well-versed in a variety of coverages. Plays with disciplined eyes and good balance between high-low responsibilities in zone. Good short-area acceleration to close out receivers and attack throwing lanes. Reactive athleticism helps erase coverage mistakes. Extremely competitive with an edge that spikes after he's beaten. Timid receivers should take the day off. Aggressive from press with a powerful punch. Looks to intimidate when the opportunity arises. Drives receivers out of bounds and out of the play if their vertical release takes them too close to the boundary. Will not let a blocking receiver punk him. Tears through blocker and attacks downhill. Searches for opportunities to strip the ball; forced three fumbles in 2016.

Moreau is the perfect fit for this defense, and as a height/speed guy, is exactly what Whaley looks for in his prospects.

If he's on the board in round 2, I'll be shocked if he's not the pick.

Who is your favorite Corner in the draft that fits the versatile McD system?

What type of versatility are we talking about? Corners cover. You talking about one that is equally able to play man or zone? This is a zone scheme, they don't need versatility in that regard. They need a guy who can play zone.

A corner isn't going to go play linebacker and isn't going to play safety, so what versatility are we talking about? Able to play slot and boundary equally well? Able to be an effective blitzer? Able to support against the run and make plays?

Edited by matter2003

What type of versatility are we talking about? Corners cover. You talking about one that is equally able to play man or zone? This is a zone scheme, they don't need versatility in that regard. They need a guy who can play zone.

A corner isn't going to go play linebacker and isn't going to play safety, so what versatility are we talking about? Able to play slot and boundary equally well? Able to be an effective blitzer? Able to support against the run and make plays?

yes to your last 3.

Conley no bueno in run support btw but everything else 👌

Fair enough. I am apparently not the only one who WOULD use that word, though:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-humphrey?id=2558067

STRENGTHS

Has the body type and athletic traits that are out of central casting. Fluid hips and hard-charging makeup speed. Well-versed in a variety of coverages. Plays with disciplined eyes and good balance between high-low responsibilities in zone. Good short-area acceleration to close out receivers and attack throwing lanes. Reactive athleticism helps erase coverage mistakes. Extremely competitive with an edge that spikes after he's beaten. Timid receivers should take the day off. Aggressive from press with a powerful punch. Looks to intimidate when the opportunity arises. Drives receivers out of bounds and out of the play if their vertical release takes them too close to the boundary. Will not let a blocking receiver punk him. Tears through blocker and attacks downhill. Searches for opportunities to strip the ball; forced three fumbles in 2016.

Yea I wasn't suggesting you were. Just that it wasn't the first word that came to mind... when I think Humphrey I think "smooth" - see the bit about fluid hips. I don't think he lacks competitive edge but I don't see him as "aggressive" when compared to some of the others in the class. But everyone sees things slightly different.

Yea I wasn't suggesting you were. Just that it wasn't the first word that came to mind... when I think Humphrey I think "smooth" - see the bit about fluid hips. I don't think he lacks competitive edge but I don't see him as "aggressive" when compared to some of the others in the class. But everyone sees things slightly different.

He's aggressive coming forward but I agree that he's not the feisty type in coverage. I think he's the most complete athlete in the CB class but man, he's gotta learn to find the ball consistently.

Still love him and wouldn't flinch at him with the 10th pick.

He's aggressive coming forward but I agree that he's not the feisty type in coverage. I think he's the most complete athlete in the CB class but man, he's gotta learn to find the ball consistently.

Still love him and wouldn't flinch at him with the 10th pick.

He is my #2 CB, I love Lattimore. I think Humphrey is a top 15 player and I would be fine with him at #10.